LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

POLL: For those who have DTRL and its melting your lights.

View Poll Results: DTRL Melting your lights?
I have DTRL, I have two wires going into the plug, no issues. 42 35.90%
I have DTRL, I have three wires going into the plug, no issues 33 28.21%
I have DTRL, I have two wires going into the plug and my lights melted the socket 38 32.48%
I have DTRL, I have three wires going into the plug and my lights melted the socket 4 3.42%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #81
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
"CK" type LEDs will work without blowing the fuses, but you will get hyperflash without adding a resistor... and I wouldn't run a resistor on a DRL. That's a lot of heat.
Probably better just to hook up a lower wattage bulb in parallel with the LEDs and stash it under the hood where it'll stay dry and ventilated.
Hmmm.. hyperflash mod?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #82
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
My advice is to report instances to your local dealer. Even if they don't fix them have them submit a product report...TMS says is a localized issue to the hotter tropical climes...ie hawaii, Florida & PR...if collectively we force the issue and report it can affect change...I do a handful a month and send in a product report and pictures...oddly none of my 2nd gens had the issue but I didn't own them long enough to find out...just my two cents
Old 06-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #83
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
I had burn in on my lenses on my 2009. Not sure how many wires because I sold it. My 2013 has switchable DTRLs. I keep them off probably 98% for this reason. I just wish the DRL switch was on the other side of off.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #84
Zarny is on a distinguished road

Name: Prem
Zarny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane Taco View Post
I sure hope this issue was resolved long before the '13. Makes me glad I can turn off my DRL's if I want too in the '13 model.
How?
I don't see any switch for mine?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #85
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarny View Post
How?
I don't see any switch for mine?
Not an option for Canadian models. DRLs are legally required.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #86
Zarny is on a distinguished road

Name: Prem
Zarny's Tacoma Gallery
So the only way to fix that problem is to turn the beams on?
Old 08-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #87
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Just noticed this today. I have an extended warranty and fingers crossed it pays off. I'll check the wiring tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #88
jabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of light

jabrackin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jabrackin
Extended warranty will not cover cosmetic
Old 08-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #89
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrackin View Post
Extended warranty will not cover cosmetic
Even though there is a TSB on it?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #90
wildcats is on a distinguished road
wildcats's Tacoma Gallery
On my 13 you can drive without them on, I never use them.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #91
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
2011, two wires, no issues
Old 08-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #92
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Two Wires
Melted/cracked lenses (both sides)
Socket intact.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #93
jabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of light

jabrackin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jabrackin
I called Toyota's extended warranty.... they said they will not cover cosmetic appearances... they consider the melting spot cosmetic
Old 08-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #94
IAFF Local 34 Professional FireFighters
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrackin View Post
they consider the melting spot cosmetic
Wow!!! That's fucking awesome of them!

It's a known issue and they won't cover it. That sucks
Old 09-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #96
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know what the functional difference is between the two wire and three wire sockets?
I have two wire sockets, no DRL and am considering adding DRL using factory parts as discussed elsewhere on this forum. There is no mention of needing different parts for two wire or three wire setups when doing that mod.

It would seem that the three wire setup could be running both filaments in the bulb, instead of just one. It would seem that would create more heat and cause more problems, yet most three wire folks report no problems with their lenses. Maybe the three wire setup is just newer?
Old 01-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Does anyone know what the functional difference is between the two wire and three wire sockets?
I have two wire sockets, no DRL and am considering adding DRL using factory parts as discussed elsewhere on this forum. There is no mention of needing different parts for two wire or three wire setups when doing that mod.
I've never seen verification that the 3-wire sockets are actually wired to anything.

The DRL mod is the removal or installation of a plug and a jumper on the back of the fuse box, and the replacement of the flasher module.

This mod works for any '05-'11, and the procedure is the same (but different part numbers) for '12+
The mod does not in any way access a third wire.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #98
se7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to behold

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
I've been watching this thread for a little while, now. I have the same issue as most others here...bubbled, brown and cracked. Fox Toyota in E. TN = FAIL! in regards to any help on the issue.

So, I've ordered some new DEPO lights to replace the old OEM's. Now, I'm looking at keeping it from happening again with new DEPO's.

I found these DRL LED's (with load resistors already on the LED): http://www.carid.com/2009-toyota-tac...-10257304.html

I think these will solve any issues with the heat buildup of the incandescent bulbs...now I'm a little concerned with the load resistors on the LED's themselves. I have an email into them asking this very question. I'll post up their response as soon as I have one.

As another note, these seem to be made so as not to create the fast-blink error the regular LED's have. Fingers crossed that this is a one-stop fix for the problem.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #99
2011Streaker will become famous soon enough2011Streaker will become famous soon enough
Law Enforcement:
2011Streaker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I've been watching this thread for a little while, now. I have the same issue as most others here...bubbled, brown and cracked. Fox Toyota in E. TN = FAIL! in regards to any help on the issue.

So, I've ordered some new DEPO lights to replace the old OEM's. Now, I'm looking at keeping it from happening again with new DEPO's.

I found these DRL LED's (with load resistors already on the LED): http://www.carid.com/2009-toyota-tac...-10257304.html

I think these will solve any issues with the heat buildup of the incandescent bulbs...now I'm a little concerned with the load resistors on the LED's themselves. I have an email into them asking this very question. I'll post up their response as soon as I have one.

As another note, these seem to be made so as not to create the fast-blink error the regular LED's have. Fingers crossed that this is a one-stop fix for the problem.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:00 AM   #100
Collins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to behold
Collins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post

These look pretty damn good. Which ones of the Lumens are you getting? The higher brightness ones?...
Seems like maybe the regular amber ones will not be very bright?

Looking forward to their response to your resistor questions.

Thanks.
PC