LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

POLL: For those who have DTRL and its melting your lights.

View Poll Results: DTRL Melting your lights?
I have DTRL, I have two wires going into the plug, no issues. 42 35.90%
I have DTRL, I have three wires going into the plug, no issues 33 28.21%
I have DTRL, I have two wires going into the plug and my lights melted the socket 38 32.48%
I have DTRL, I have three wires going into the plug and my lights melted the socket 4 3.42%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #121
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619Tacoma View Post
Tacoma Guy,
Please let us know how those LED's work out.

I've wanted to do the DTRL mod as my truck doesn't have them now but I haven't done it in fear of the melting issue. I'd love a bright LED replacement bulb.
I will let every one know how it turns out after they come in and I get them installed. Funny your wanting to install them and I wish that I didn't have them. LOL
Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #122
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma guy View Post
I will let every one know how it turns out after they come in and I get them installed. Funny your wanting to install them and I wish that I didn't have them. LOL
A group of locals could get together and do the swap.
Rather than cutting the green wire, just yank the harness and flasher from the DRL truck, and trade that for the flasher and jumper/plug from someone with a non-DRL truck.
You get "factory" non-DRL and he saves $100.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #123
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Ok I called there 800 number and asked them about the built in resister and the guy reassured me that it will take care of the fast-blink. So I took the plunge . I will see how and if it works and I will let you all know !!
Ok guys here is an up date. Got the lights today and they are 1/2in to long. They are so long that it wouldn't even go in all the way to thread the socket in to hold it in place. So now I will be calling them tomorrow to see what they say. So now its back to the drawing board.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #124
se7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to behold

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Damn. I didn't know all this dialog was happening since my last post. For some reason, I have not received any emails about new posts!?!?

At any rate, this sucks that they won't work. I have decided to go with a 3057 bulb for now. I know its only a couple watts less, but every little bit helps, right?

I have ordered a new set of DEPO lights to replace the burnt stock ones. Next step will be LEDs with an electronic flasher instead of the stock one. Maybe that will work??

Toyota sucks on this!! Rock solid truck...weak as hell lights!!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #125
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
I have ordered a new set of DEPO lights to replace the burnt stock ones. Next step will be LEDs with an electronic flasher instead of the stock one. Maybe that will work??
Good luck.

There is no electronic flasher available to replace the 12-pin unit used on trucks with DRL.
There used to be a unit, and VLEDs still lists it.... as backordered.
It's been backordered for 2 years.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:04 AM   #126
se7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to beholdse7en is a splendid one to behold

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Good luck.

There is no electronic flasher available to replace the 12-pin unit used on trucks with DRL.
There used to be a unit, and VLEDs still lists it.... as backordered.
It's been backordered for 2 years.
Great!! I was affraid someone was going to say that.

Oh well, thanks for the update.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #127

Well last and final up date . I went ahead and did the green wire with red stripe mod and it worked like a champ. No more melting of lights.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:57 AM   #128

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Wait...what mod is this green wire/red stripe?

Personally, I replaced the headlights with new DEPO lights and switched from 4157 bulbs to 3057. I know its only a couple watts less, but I'm hoping it will be enough. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #129

Quote:
Wait...what mod is this green wire/red stripe?

Personally, I replaced the headlights with new DEPO lights and switched from 4157 bulbs to 3057. I know its only a couple watts less, but I'm hoping it will be enough. Fingers crossed.
There is a write up and I 'm not sure where it is , I will try to find it but it talks about a wire coming off the DTRL module that powers the DTRL. By cutting this wire it disables only the DTRL and your turn signals still work properly. The module is on the side of the fuse panel under the dash by the steering column. Hope this helps. If I can find the link I will post it .
Old 02-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #130
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There is a write up and I 'm not sure where it is , I will try to find it but it talks about a wire coming off the DTRL module that powers the DTRL. By cutting this wire it disables only the DTRL and your turn signals still work properly. The module is on the side of the fuse panel under the dash by the steering column. Hope this helps. If I can find the link I will post it .

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...alth-mode.html

This guy put in a switch, I just cut the wire on my 2009, worked perfect with no side effects.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...alth-mode.html

This guy put in a switch, I just cut the wire on my 2009, worked perfect with no side effects.
That would be the one !! Only I opted out of doing the switch. Yes it do's work perfect!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #132

Quote:
Ok I called there 800 number and asked them about the built in resister and the guy reassured me that it will take care of the fast-blink. So I took the plunge . I will see how and if it works and I will let you all know !!
Quote:
Did you get the standard or Plazma?
Quote:
I got the Plazma 420.
Quote:
You enabler

Ordered a pair... I've had the DRL kit for over a year but have been worried about my lenses.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619Tacoma View Post
Please let us know how those LED's work out.
Quote:
Quote:
Ok guys here is an up date. Got the lights today and they are 1/2in to long. They are so long that it wouldn't even go in all the way to thread the socket in to hold it in place. So now I will be calling them tomorrow to see what they say. So now its back to the drawing board.
You were lucky you stopped there.

I finally took mine out of the box and tried to install them today.
I have the Depo housings, and I was able to get them to mount up (they were pushing on the lens).
Hit the turn signals and it blew the 15a fuse.

These not only do not fit the Tacoma housing, they are not the 3157CK wiring and do not work with the Tacoma.

Will Jumpers work on a 2-wire socket?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:47 AM   #133

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the Depo housings
What bulbs have you been running? I don't want to melt my new housings...again.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #134

Quote:
What bulbs have you been running? I don't want to melt my new housings...again.
I have the adapter harness but have not yet installed it.
I'm wanting to get into LED or a lower wattage lamp before doing the conversion.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:02 AM   #135

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the adapter harness but have not yet installed it.
I'm wanting to get into LED or a lower wattage lamp before doing the conversion.
The lowest wattage bulb, that I'm aware of, is the 3057. Its only 1.66 watts less (26.88 vs. 28.54), but it was the least I could find. I hope it will be enough not to melt again.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #136

Quote:
The lowest wattage bulb, that I'm aware of, is the 3057. Its only 1.66 watts less (26.88 vs. 28.54), but it was the least I could find. I hope it will be enough not to melt again.
Or a 1 ohm, 40 watt power resistor in series with the lamp. That'll knock it down by 4 watts or so, and shouldn't be enough to cause hyperflash.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:59 AM   #137
Can't re-MEMBER
ZEROPILOT is on a distinguished road

Name: ED
ZEROPILOT's Tacoma Gallery
I did the green wire snip, too. It was AFTER melting the lenses and sockets, replacing the whole headlight assemblies, installing LEDs and doing the blinker shave modification to get the correct flash rate......If I'd known about the green wire snip in the first place, I would've just done that and did away with my DTRLs first. What a great find!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #138

se7en's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Or a 1 ohm, 40 watt power resistor in series with the lamp. That'll knock it down by 4 watts or so, and shouldn't be enough to cause hyperflash.
If I was going to add inline resistors, I would just go ahead and go LED's. Back in the day, that's how we had to wire motorcycle lights. I just didn't want to do that this time because I HATE the heat build up of those damn inline resistors.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 PM   #139

Quote:
If I was going to add inline resistors, I would just go ahead and go LED's. Back in the day, that's how we had to wire motorcycle lights. I just didn't want to do that this time because I HATE the heat build up of those damn inline resistors.
Inline resistors reduce current draw and wattage.

LED retrofits require parallel resistors to bring the current back up to spec, and they run hot.

With an inline resistor, the resistor will be carrying only a few watts.

And I agree, I would not run LED with parallel resistors on a DRL application where they are always on.... at least not without a resistor that is rated at least double the required wattage, and solidly mounted to the radiator support for heat dissipation.