Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

POLL: For those who have DTRL and its melting your lights.

View Poll Results: DTRL Melting your lights?
I have DTRL, I have two wires going into the plug, no issues. 42 33.87%
I have DTRL, I have three wires going into the plug, no issues 33 26.61%
I have DTRL, I have two wires going into the plug and my lights melted the socket 44 35.48%
I have DTRL, I have three wires going into the plug and my lights melted the socket 5 4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
POLL: For those who have DTRL and its melting your lights.

Alright, I think I might know why this is happening, but I need verification.

To ANYONE having this problem, please give me input.

On the back side of your DTRLs/TURN SIGNALs, do you have 2 wires going into the socket or 3 wires?

In my scenario, the bulb is a dual filament bulb, however there are only two wires going into a 3 wire plug. My lights are not burning up my lenses.

I want to gather some data and figure out this problem. I'm pretty sure I know why, but I need concrete data. Also, if you can post the model year of your truck....

One other questions, do any of you guys who have toasted lenses have the BHLM done? Blacked out reflectors?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd as a reminder to check at lunch.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Go BIG or Go HOME
Buell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud of

Name: Michael
Buell's Tacoma Gallery
I have two, no issues but my truck is relatively new just passed 10k miles so...
Old 10-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
43K miles driving mostly during the day. Both sides are clear of any melting. I will have to get back later about the wiring.

Posted via
Old 10-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Poacher is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Jim
Poacher's Tacoma Gallery
I have the last post on the DTRL, and have two wires and melted lenses (I voted).

09 double cab with 40K miles.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Keep comin with the results guys. I'm curious, because I know some people have three wires going into their plugs. I don't know if this is a change within different year models or what. The more data I get, the more we can figure out. Also, if you can possibly post data about your model year vehicle too.... that might help.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
ColoradoTaco is a jewel in the roughColoradoTaco is a jewel in the roughColoradoTaco is a jewel in the roughColoradoTaco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ryan
ColoradoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
lenses are fine but the buld base is melted to shit even looks burnt like it caught fire........2 wires just bought leds to replace.....i would rather have hyper flashing than burning truck.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Texio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to behold

Texio's Tacoma Gallery
2011 DCSB with DTRL, only 1900 miles on it (so probably not very relevant), 2 wires, no issues on lenses or sockets.

What's your theory about this? I am trying to figure out if this is something I will have to worry about. Seems like it happens to most people sooner or later.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
I have two theories at the moment. I'm going to gather more results before I let them go.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
Go BIG or Go HOME
Buell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud of

Buell's Tacoma Gallery
Mine truck is a 2011 with 2 wires no issues yet but only 10k miles
Old 10-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ450MOE View Post
I don't know if this helps but is DEF related

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...rkers-mix.html
Nice find.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch
YFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Machinery Technician
Name: Moe
YFZ450MOE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Nice find.
His fog light any time mod is the biz, he is a pretty smart guy it seems and may be onto something with the DTRL thing. If you haven't done the fog light mod i highy suggest using his! (if you wanna do it)
Old 10-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
subd, 2011, 21k, no melting, need to count the wires before i vote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ450MOE View Post
I don't know if this helps but is DEF related

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...rkers-mix.html

This is exactly why I've been asking the questions in this poll. I know the light is dual filament, and I know some of us have 3 wires.... the third wire is obviously for the other filament. Just trying to attribute which configuration causes the meltdown.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed09taco4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
09taco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
This is exactly why I've been asking the questions in this poll. I know the light is dual filament, and I know some of us have 3 wires.... the third wire is obviously for the other filament. Just trying to attribute which configuration causes the meltdown.
I have the two wire set up and if I take the bulb out of the headlight then turn it on it looks like both filaments are lit up. Another issue, about a second after the light is turned on you can't even touch it cause it gets so HOT......not good for the lens in front of it I assume and that's prob why mine melted so bad.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
Texio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to beholdTexio is a splendid one to behold

Texio's Tacoma Gallery
I have also noticed that (at least on my truck, with only 2 wires to the DTRL) the bulbs are either on or off, there's no hi or low: they turn on with the engine, don;t change if you put your parking lights on, and only switch between on and off when using the blinker. So when is the other filament being used? Are they both always on at all times? That would certainly explain why they're getting so hot...
Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #18
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09taco4x4 View Post
I have the two wire set up and if I take the bulb out of the headlight then turn it on it looks like both filaments are lit up. Another issue, about a second after the light is turned on you can't even touch it cause it gets so HOT......not good for the lens in front of it I assume and that's prob why mine melted so bad.
This is some solid information! Thank you! I think I can easily make some sugestions here that will solve this. There is more than one way.

I will follow up tommorow, its late and I'm going to bed. Keep the poll going!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #19
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
43K miles driving mostly during the day. Both sides are clear of any melting. I will have to get back later about the wiring.

Posted via
I just checked and I have 2 wires.

Posted via
Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #20
Go BIG or Go HOME

Buell's Tacoma Gallery
Hope there is a fix, dont want to get any melting on my new BHLM