Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Still Hard Steering Problem

Old 10-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Waverly has a spectacular aura aboutWaverly has a spectacular aura about

Waverly's Tacoma Gallery
Still Hard Steering Problem

Guy's, having some hard steering issues. The dealer replaced the power steering pump little over a week ago. I thought at first I could tell a difference in the steering but do not think it helped much. I check the air pressure in the tires and adjusted it from 31psi to 35psi. Took it out for a drive after that and thought, boy this was it. Again thought that helped,for a while but nope. Buddy of mine has a 2011 v6 DC. He let me take it for a spin and I could tell a difference between his and mine. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow. But do any of you guys have any idea what the devil is going on? Think it's probably the steering rack ? This is driving me half nuts.
My truck is a 2010 v6 DC with only 13k miles on it.
Thanks so much.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
avidoffroad.com
McJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
McJosh's Tacoma Gallery
My steering rack was replaced somewhere around 60k-70k but I couldn't tell too much of a difference. The steering was smooth before and after. Actually I hate it now because it squeals.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverly View Post
Guy's, having some hard steering issues. The dealer replaced the power steering pump little over a week ago. I thought at first I could tell a difference in the steering but do not think it helped much. I check the air pressure in the tires and adjusted it from 31psi to 35psi. Took it out for a drive after that and thought, boy this was it. Again thought that helped,for a while but nope. Buddy of mine has a 2011 v6 DC. He let me take it for a spin and I could tell a difference between his and mine. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow. But do any of you guys have any idea what the devil is going on? Think it's probably the steering rack ? This is driving me half nuts.
My truck is a 2010 v6 DC with only 13k miles on it.
Thanks so much.
Does it have this problem first thing in the morning and then go away after the truck is warmed up?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
tell the dealer about it. there might be air in the system.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
Waverly has a spectacular aura aboutWaverly has a spectacular aura about

Waverly's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't seem that bad when you first start out. On turns, its smooth. It's funny, after I drove it from the dealer after they replaced the pump,I though hot dog it's fixed. But...........calling the dealer today. Sure hope it can be resolved. ....
Old 10-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
Mr.Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Mr.Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is 2005 V6 DC, problem started when i changed the alternator, it starts losing power on turns..very erratic. I got new tensioner put by mechanic and problem was gone when i was coming home..Next day again same problem. It drives me nuts too...
Old 04-25-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
Forca Barca is on a distinguished road

Forca Barca's Tacoma Gallery
Hard steering problem

Sounds like I am experiencing the exact hard steering problem with my 2013 TRD 4X4 Tacoma (word for word). Did you ever find a fix?
Old 04-25-2014, 05:08 AM   #8
OCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCNutty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
OCNutty's Tacoma Gallery
any chance you have a weak tensioner, causing the serpentine belt to slip? Steering activity causes more load on the belt and may slip without squealing....Would be worse when warm.