Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

This is BS, Im done with Amsoil!!!

Closed Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #22
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saugus View Post
No it's 26.62 + 2.33 = 28.95 / 5 =
$5.79 / quart at walmart
Hmm..interesting. I typically buy mine from advance auto parts so I can buy both the oil and the filter at the same place. I use Puralator Pureone filters which advance auto sells.

Btw I thought the jugs at walmart were 4 quarts not 5.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #23
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
The best oil for the taco is the 0w-30 Castrol syntec 'european formula '
No definitive proof to back up this statement, but i know on my wife's Audi turbo we have to use the european formula on any synthetic oil to combat sludge issues the engine has. I know that Toyota and Honda do not make the same requirements and state any proper weight oil, dino or synthetic is excepted as long as it meets government regulation.

With that said, I use mobile1 european in my wife's car and mobile 1 5w30 in my tacoma. I have never had an issue with mobile 1. The jeep I just gave my son has 290k miles on it and I always used mobile 1.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #24
hawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhawker25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hawker25's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
i use Mobil 1 synthetic in my truck and Valvoline in the rest of my vehicles, cant go wrong with either. Also a little known secret about Mobil 1, O'Reilly's brand oil is Mobil 1 in disguise, one of their employees told me this. So if you want to get Mobil 1 for cheap get the O'Reilly's brand oil cuz it is the same stuff.
Don't know about oreilly but I do know when I worked for carquest 10 yrs ago it was all valvoline.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #25
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
Like someone stated, Mobil1 is not what it used to be years ago. Yes its a decent oil, but its basically namebrand

Old 10-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #26
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
I'll keep using the Toyota oil Toyota filter on my taco. Never had any problems with it. My mechanic (also my best friend) only charges 25 bucks for my oil changes. I can't do it myself for that cheap!

Old 10-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #27
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
European oil is actually recycled super tech oil with a touch of anti freeze .

Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 AM   #28
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmuncy View Post
No definitive proof to back up this statement, but i know on my wife's Audi turbo we have to use the european formula on any synthetic oil to combat sludge issues the engine has. I know that Toyota and Honda do not make the same requirements and state any proper weight oil, dino or synthetic is excepted as long as it meets government regulation.

With that said, I use mobile1 european in my wife's car and mobile 1 5w30 in my tacoma. I have never had an issue with mobile 1. The jeep I just gave my son has 290k miles on it and I always used mobile 1.
VW's tend to be finicky about oil. My dad used to have a Passat (1.8t) that had the oil pump grenade on him at 80k miles and it turned out the pickup was clogged with gum. They told him it was because it needed synthetic oil. Haha ironically that dealer was the one who had been doing the oil changes every 3k miles, he hadn't taken it anywhere else. They covered the repairs.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #29
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of

Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
gotta side by side pic of them in the clear glass? I use Amsoil in every car and have been for years - I never noticed a darker than normal pour like you are experiencing.

I am concerned is somehow it is used oil. I remember a while back a buddy buying Mobil 1 at a target and 5 out of 6 were actually used motor oil in them - like some cheap bastard changed their oil with Mobil 1 - then put the old oil back in and returned it.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 2007 View Post
gotta side by side pic of them in the clear glass? I use Amsoil in every car and have been for years - I never noticed a darker than normal pour like you are experiencing.

I am concerned is somehow it is used oil. I remember a while back a buddy buying Mobil 1 at a target and 5 out of 6 were actually used motor oil in them - like some cheap bastard changed their oil with Mobil 1 - then put the old oil back in and returned it.
Yep, happens all the time. People change their oil, put the old oil in the jug, then return it with the old oil in it.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #31
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Yep, happens all the time. People change their oil, put the old oil in the jug, then return it with the old oil in it.
Thats shady as hell

Old 10-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #32
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Audi and VW are using Castrol. I used 0w-40 and this thing still build the sludge like mofo. The only Oil that had no sludge build up was Mobil 0W-40. Thats how I found out about the Mobil vs Castrol court battle. I will never use Castrol in any of my cars. It cause big issues in my VW.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #33
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Audi and VW are using Castrol. I used 0w-40 and this thing still build the sludge like mofo. The only Oil that had no sludge build up was Mobil 0W-40. Thats how I found out about the Mobil vs Castrol court battle. I will never use Castrol in any of my cars. It cause big issues in my VW.
This is exactly what I use the 40w. It says european formula on it. And yes the Audi can build up sludge very bad if not cared for. We change it every 5k. So far no issues. We even had the oil pan dropped and everything checked.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #34
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You mean intentionally return it for a refund? I bring back the old oil to the auto parts store in the new container all the time because if you buy the new stuff there, they'll dispose of the spent oil.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #35
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I take a shot of my oil before pouring it in.

Posted via

Old 10-14-2011, 08:10 AM   #36
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of

Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You mean intentionally return it for a refund? I bring back the old oil to the auto parts store in the new container all the time because if you buy the new stuff there, they'll dispose of the spent oil.
Yes - they intentionally get the new oil free by returning their old in the new bottle and then some unknowing poor sap buys someones old oil and uses it cause it goes back on the shelf after they return it.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #37
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is exactly what I use the 40w. It says european formula on it. And yes the Audi can build up sludge very bad if not cared for. We change it every 5k. So far no issues. We even had the oil pan dropped and everything checked.
5k so you wasting tons of money on this thing but thats the only way to not have sludge. I would rather use 0W-40 Mobil 1 and do 10K intervals. My Tdi lost 2 turbos due to oil sludge.
Not sure if they changed but oil intervals for my Tdi were at 15K thats what factory suggested. I did 5 K and still Castrol was sludging.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #38
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I take a shot of my oil before pouring it in.

Posted via
I drink some of my used transmission fluid to check on the clutches.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #39
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Last time I changed my oil - a month or so ago, I pulled a foil seal off the jug... so unless someone has a way to re-seal the bottle, it has to have been a new bottle -- the oil just didn't look right - it's kind of like the OP said - it was darker than usual. It wasn't super dirty, just not the "clean" looking oil I'm used to seeing It wasn't Amsoil, it was Castrol 5W-30.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #40
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Well in my case I'll stick with Mobil1 due to the fact of all my Mercedes I've owned and own are filled with Mobil1 syn. from factory and it's recommended from the FACTORY to use only Mobil1 syn. If the factory/Mercedes Benz likes it enough to put it their autos then it good by me. My Taco will only see Mobil1 syns....

Closed Thread

Products Discussed in this Thread