1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

This is BS, Im done with Amsoil!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bones308, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 14, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    rob1

rob1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Blue DblCab 4X4 Long Bed TRD Sport SR5
    Tail gate mod, locking gas cap, locking spare tire, rear spring tsb,Weathertech Digital fit's
    Royal Purple is #1........ :stirthepot:

2. Oct 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    pootermobile

pootermobile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL cab 4WD V6 6-speed Debadged
    De-Flapped, All-Weather Floor Mats, Blue LED dome light, De-badged, BMW shift knob, 8K HIDs in headlights and fogs, Fog light relay MOD, 3" Coil-spring spacers, 1.5" rear blocks, 17" ProComp 7033s, 285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Ebay 7" touch screen head unit, TEKstyle snap button tonneau cover
    ^^^^x2

3. Oct 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    F wordy

4. Oct 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4

Yep, I used to have a turbo honda accord (custom setup obviously). So I know all about the effects of the hot turbos on the oil system. I actually would change my oil every 3k with Mobil 1 on the accord because I kept that car in boost as much as I could haha. I also ran a turbo timer on the car. Haha I used to love the look on people's faces when I would leave the car running in parking lots then it would turn off by itself. :confused: :eek:

VW warrantied his repairs because all of the oil changes were done by them and documented. This was the same dealer he purchased the vehicle brand new from in '03. I suppose they goofed up there and realized they used the wrong kind of oil. Keep in mind this happened back in '06ish so VW's policies/recommendations may have changed since then.

5. Oct 14, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    Bones308

Bones308 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Casper, WY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    2006 Tacoma Double cab TRD V6 4x4 K&N air filter, Flowmaster exhaust 285/75/16 Tires yes its a 6 SPEED!!!
    Hey guys I am going out of town today for a while so might not be able to get pics up and what not. But I will see if I can at a later date. I appreciate all the comments, and will be looking into this further. Not to worried but I will contact amsoil and figure it out. Hopefully its just them changing styles and what not like a previous poster said.

Thanks for all the help!

6. Oct 14, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    graywolf2011

graywolf2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma 4X4
    undercover hard toneau, stainless steel nfab step bars
    Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not slamming Mobil1, I use it in my Taco and my Nomad 1700. It is one of the best oils out there, even if it is a class 111 petroleum base. I saw a show on discovery about recycled oil. From the looks of it, the process restores the oil to the same state as when it was first refined, all of the additives, moisture, viscosity enhancers, contaminates are removed. :stirthepot: I figure as the "green, recycle, etc" movement continues, you will see more manufacturers start selling recycled oil. As was stated, the important thing is regular changes and use a quality oil.

7. Oct 14, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario (the metric version)
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD 4x4 6MT 1GR-FE
    With all the counterfeit items floating around out there, I wonder if someone in the supply chain is swapping product? It would be interesting to see how different the chemical composition is between the 2 samples.

8. Oct 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    You argument doesn't hold water... oil isn't a battery. Using a poor quality battery, for instance, doesn't mean the flashlight is destroyed in warranty period leaving the manufacturer with a $10,000 (or more) warranty claim to make good on. When extended by the number of vehicles sold you can see the warranty liability is considerable. Oil is vital to the longevity, performance, economy, and customer appreciation of the product it's used in. So design engineers, with a lot of latitude by the bean counters, think quite a bit before endorsing an oil by specifying it's use, e.g. factory fill. The more highly stressed the design, the more critical the oil is to it's operation and the stricter the engineers are in specifying a lubricant appropriate to it's needs. The marques referenced are almost all noted for very high performing designs.

Lastly and contrary to most people's sadly misinformed notions: contracts are not let to qualified bidders solely on price. Not even in government contracting is this true. Before settling on a winning bid there are a number of considerations besides price, not the least of which is historical performance, e.g., quality including lot to lot variability in product performance (which is precisely OP's concerns it appears) and ability to deliver to contractual terms. As someone else said, Amsoil is a boutique oil (my term, but that's what was described) and so probably is not capable of supplying manufacturers in sufficient quantity for their production and that of their dealer network, in addition to supplying their customer base.

And, oh yes. In order to be a qualified bidder in most any commercial competition the bidders product on offer has to meet the standards and specifications laid out in the request. Amsoil is very noteable in that they do not offer any certifications to any specifications. The would make it very difficult for them to qualify in most any normally run competitive bidding process. This is if the competition is being managed rationally, of course.

9. Oct 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    That sounded like a amsoil commercial...do you work for them or something??

10. Oct 20, 2011 at 11:42 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    Send a pm to TcBob.:cool:

11. Oct 20, 2011 at 11:58 PM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    I believe it's castrol who fought it in court and won the case to be able to market as synthetic when actually it's group lll

Mobil is a PAO

12. Oct 21, 2011 at 12:08 AM
    BlazeTaco

BlazeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    4.0l 6sp SR5
    TRD Exhaust TRD Filter
    hm, Amsoil did say that they have changed their additive packages. I just put their mtl 75w-90 manual transmission oil and there gear oil in my truck and both sloshed around like water, i used Mobil One before and it was really thick at the same weight. Oh, and my mileage increased after putting the gear oil in after factory fill. I ran it in just about everything motorcycles, cars, and lawnmowers all with good results.

13. Oct 21, 2011 at 12:20 AM
    BlazeTaco

BlazeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    4.0l 6sp SR5
    TRD Exhaust TRD Filter
    Then why does amsoil have a API certification seal on it?

14. Oct 21, 2011 at 1:53 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    you would have to be nuts to waste money on amsoil . IMHO Mobil1 is the best oil, been using it for many many years never any issues and after everything is said and done it is 100% synthetic.

15. Oct 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    tpr676

tpr676 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobil one please.......................:yay:

16. Oct 21, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    TacoSport

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    Our 4runner has over 100k using M1 EP oil. Changes average 8k mile and the oil comes out clean and the engine is smooth. I change the filter at 5k and will go to 10k np

17. Oct 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    TacoSport

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    Back to op subject, I have been running Amsoil in my HD 1550 which gets beat on quite regularly for the spring through fall months and often wonder why I am draining the oil at end of season as there is no viscosity loss.

18. Oct 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    TacoSport

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    Leighten up, It's really a non-issue after the engine is broken in.

19. Oct 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    TacoSport

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
  20. Oct 21, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    Delandgixxer750

Delandgixxer750 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Deland, Fl.
    Vehicle: