1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

This is BS, Im done with Amsoil!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bones308, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 13, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    Bones308

Bones308 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Casper, WY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    2006 Tacoma Double cab TRD V6 4x4 K&N air filter, Flowmaster exhaust 285/75/16 Tires yes its a 6 SPEED!!!
    Ok just got done with an oil change on my 2nd Gen today and noticed something that really pisssed me off.

-For the record I am a mechanic and see many different types of oils, regular and synthetic, on a daily basis.

I use Amsoil signature series 0w30 and have done so for a long time in my toyota. As I was pouring in my new oil today, I noticed that it looked incredibly darker that it normally does as it was pouring in. Thinking back about a year ago to a previous oil change I remembered that I noticed the same thing. SO I decided to smell it as I always to out of habbit and The shit smelled like freaking CORN OIL!!!! And I remembered about a year ago when this happened before it looked exactly the same and smelled exactly the same, like corn oil. Now this had me troubbled because I always smell my oils and every synthetic I have smelled including Amsoil have smelled very "sweet" smelling. Dino oils do not smell sweet like this at all in fact they smell like this shit does, so I figured something was really wrong.

So I decided to do a test. I found an unopened bottle of Amsoil 0w30 from my previous oil change and decided to test the smell out and compare it with the stuff I just got for my oil change today. You know what? The shit smelled totally and completely different!! yes thats right, The old bottle (unopened) smelled exactly what a synthetic should smell like.....sweet. The new bottle I just got for this oil change smelled like Con oil, no sweet smell...nothing.

So now I am really curious, so I decided to pour each bottle in to two seperate clear cups to compare and see if there were any visual differences.

The verdict was that the old bottle of amsoil looked like how it always looks like, very light clear with a very tiny hint of darkness to it.

The new bottle of amsoil that I just got looked like freaking mollasis!! Like it had been already used for a couple thousand miles!!!

Ready for the Kicker? The old bottle of Amsoil 0w30 swished around the glass with little effort, very thin feeling as I think a "0" Weight oil should.

The New bottle of Amsoil 0w30 swished around my glass like it was freaking 15W40 Diesel oil!!!! Thicker than freaking shit man!! I could not believe my eyes, and trully do not know what to think of this crap.

What do you guys think about this? Has anybody noticed the same things as I have here? Two times I have gotten oil like this and that is not right, that is way too many inconsistancys as far as im concerned! I am trully perplexed and very pissed at amsoil right now. I think I might call them and see what the hell the freaking deal is.

Let me know what you guys think.......:confused:

2. Oct 14, 2011 at 5:05 AM
    cmoore

cmoore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Give them a call and say what up. Who knows. I always use straight 5W30 dino. I've never had any trouble with it.

3. Oct 14, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I think that looking at/smelling/spin testing an oil might be an alright indicator- but you probably need to get it analyzed before getting all bent outta shape about it. The dudes who make that stuff mess with chemical properties and etc etc etc all the time- so "conventional" wisdom doesn't always continue to apply.

4. Oct 14, 2011 at 5:31 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Mobil 1 Synthetic :)

5. Oct 14, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I use the AMSoil 5w-30 and haven't noticed anything, but I haven't bought any new oil in about a year or so. I'd call them up. Who knows maybe they had a bad batch get out the door. It would be interesting to compare an analysis of the two.

6. Oct 14, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I would get it analyzed before I raised a stink, best to have your facts in order.

7. Oct 14, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    this lol ^

i have used mobil 1 systhetic in every car and truck i have ever owned never had a problem with it.

8. Oct 14, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    graywolf2011

graywolf2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma 4X4
    undercover hard toneau, stainless steel nfab step bars
    Hmm, interesting since Mobil 1 is not synthetic, it is a class 3 petroleum. The only reason they class it as synthetic is a court decision allowing it.:crazy:

9. Oct 14, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    link ?

10. Oct 14, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Please provide some proof of this ^^^

Thanks.

I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic in all of my vehicles for the last 10 years. sigh...I remember when It was only $4 a quart. Now it's twice that much :(

11. Oct 14, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    He's right... sorta. The EU, specifically Germany, has a very strict definition of synthetic that only allows gp IV and gp V oils in ratios above a certain percent to be called it . The rest of the world doesn't really care since it doesn't matter in any practical way. It's effect is to give EU oil company's a way to charge $20 and more per litre for synthetic oil.

Mobil1 used to be 100% PAO and ester base stocks but went away from it as they developed gpIII+, which are highly processed from petroleum, to be as good as, and in some key respects superior to, those base stocks. It enabled them to provide oils very nearly as good as the best boutique European oils but at a fraction of the price. Since then other oil mfr's have followed.

Amsoil probably isn't synthetic by that definition either.

12. Oct 14, 2011 at 6:35 AM
    saugus

saugus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No it's 26.62 + 2.33 = 28.95 / 5 =
    $5.79 / quart at walmart

13. Oct 14, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    There was no court case...
    It was a decision made by the NAD (National Advertising Division) of the BBB. In fact, the product at question was Castrol Syntec. Not Mobil1. Mobil1 was the company calling out Castrol for having changed their formula by removing the PAOs(the main sythetic part) in the Syntec line. Castrol was able to present enough "evidence" to convince the NAD that Group III base oil could legitimately be called synthetic, so they ruled in Castrol's favor. This ruling has no "legal" standing. It merely means that as far as the NAD is concerned, an oil company is not falsely advertising an oil as "full synthetic" if that oil is made from Group III base oil.

I know personally that up until a few years ago Mobil1's website in their FAQs stated they used PAOs in their oil. I can no longer find that so you may be right that it might be a Group III now, but so is most of your other 'synthetics' (ie. Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Syn, Castrol Syntec, etc.)

14. Oct 14, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    The best oil for the taco is the 0w-30 Castrol syntec 'european formula '

15. Oct 14, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Bones.
    I have heard or read somewhere about recycled oil.
    Now I'm not saying this is it at all but like the others have said get it analyzed.

I saw something on TW about a oil analysis costing like 25 bucks.

This is very interesting and I'll be waiting on your updates.

16. Oct 14, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    i use Mobil 1 synthetic in my truck and Valvoline in the rest of my vehicles, cant go wrong with either. Also a little known secret about Mobil 1, O'Reilly's brand oil is Mobil 1 in disguise, one of their employees told me this. So if you want to get Mobil 1 for cheap get the O'Reilly's brand oil cuz it is the same stuff.

17. Oct 14, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Pretty definitive statement... I'm not one to say you're incorrect (due to ignorance) but what do you base this claim on?

18. Oct 14, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    I used to use 50w on my bug haha

19. Oct 14, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    I don't know that I would go trusting the O'Reilly's guy all that much.

20. Oct 14, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    I've done a ton of oils across the years. Amsoil is not certified by anyone, ie GM, VW, BMW, whatnot so they can change their formula and you would never know because there is no real third party testing. The best oils imho are the 0w-30 Castrol syntech ( goodluck finding it, very hard ) and the new 5w-30 Pennzoil Ultra ( highest grade level oil on the market now, I use it on my 650rwhp cts-v and have opened up the motor and seen how spotless it looked after 30k miles )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top