This is BS, Im done with Amsoil!!!

Closed Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Bones308 will become famous soon enoughBones308 will become famous soon enough

Name: You can call me "V"
Bones308's Tacoma Gallery
This is BS, Im done with Amsoil!!!

Ok just got done with an oil change on my 2nd Gen today and noticed something that really pisssed me off.

-For the record I am a mechanic and see many different types of oils, regular and synthetic, on a daily basis.

I use Amsoil signature series 0w30 and have done so for a long time in my toyota. As I was pouring in my new oil today, I noticed that it looked incredibly darker that it normally does as it was pouring in. Thinking back about a year ago to a previous oil change I remembered that I noticed the same thing. SO I decided to smell it as I always to out of habbit and The shit smelled like freaking CORN OIL!!!! And I remembered about a year ago when this happened before it looked exactly the same and smelled exactly the same, like corn oil. Now this had me troubbled because I always smell my oils and every synthetic I have smelled including Amsoil have smelled very "sweet" smelling. Dino oils do not smell sweet like this at all in fact they smell like this shit does, so I figured something was really wrong.

So I decided to do a test. I found an unopened bottle of Amsoil 0w30 from my previous oil change and decided to test the smell out and compare it with the stuff I just got for my oil change today. You know what? The shit smelled totally and completely different!! yes thats right, The old bottle (unopened) smelled exactly what a synthetic should smell like.....sweet. The new bottle I just got for this oil change smelled like Con oil, no sweet smell...nothing.

So now I am really curious, so I decided to pour each bottle in to two seperate clear cups to compare and see if there were any visual differences.

The verdict was that the old bottle of amsoil looked like how it always looks like, very light clear with a very tiny hint of darkness to it.

The new bottle of amsoil that I just got looked like freaking mollasis!! Like it had been already used for a couple thousand miles!!!

Ready for the Kicker? The old bottle of Amsoil 0w30 swished around the glass with little effort, very thin feeling as I think a "0" Weight oil should.

The New bottle of Amsoil 0w30 swished around my glass like it was freaking 15W40 Diesel oil!!!! Thicker than freaking shit man!! I could not believe my eyes, and trully do not know what to think of this crap.

What do you guys think about this? Has anybody noticed the same things as I have here? Two times I have gotten oil like this and that is not right, that is way too many inconsistancys as far as im concerned! I am trully perplexed and very pissed at amsoil right now. I think I might call them and see what the hell the freaking deal is.

Let me know what you guys think.......

Old 10-14-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
cmoore is on a distinguished road
Name: Charlie
cmoore's Tacoma Gallery
Give them a call and say what up. Who knows. I always use straight 5W30 dino. I've never had any trouble with it.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I think that looking at/smelling/spin testing an oil might be an alright indicator- but you probably need to get it analyzed before getting all bent outta shape about it. The dudes who make that stuff mess with chemical properties and etc etc etc all the time- so "conventional" wisdom doesn't always continue to apply.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Mobil 1 Synthetic

Old 10-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I use the AMSoil 5w-30 and haven't noticed anything, but I haven't bought any new oil in about a year or so. I'd call them up. Who knows maybe they had a bad batch get out the door. It would be interesting to compare an analysis of the two.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
graywolf2011 is on a distinguished road
graywolf2011's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm, interesting since Mobil 1 is not synthetic, it is a class 3 petroleum. The only reason they class it as synthetic is a court decision allowing it.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #9
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf2011 View Post
Hmm, interesting since Mobil 1 is not synthetic, it is a class 3 petroleum. The only reason they class it as synthetic is a court decision allowing it.
link ?

Old 10-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #10
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Please provide some proof of this ^^^

Thanks.

I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic in all of my vehicles for the last 10 years. sigh...I remember when It was only $4 a quart. Now it's twice that much

Old 10-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
link ?
He's right... sorta. The EU, specifically Germany, has a very strict definition of synthetic that only allows gp IV and gp V oils in ratios above a certain percent to be called it . The rest of the world doesn't really care since it doesn't matter in any practical way. It's effect is to give EU oil company's a way to charge $20 and more per litre for synthetic oil.

Mobil1 used to be 100% PAO and ester base stocks but went away from it as they developed gpIII+, which are highly processed from petroleum, to be as good as, and in some key respects superior to, those base stocks. It enabled them to provide oils very nearly as good as the best boutique European oils but at a fraction of the price. Since then other oil mfr's have followed.

Amsoil probably isn't synthetic by that definition either.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Please provide some proof of this ^^^

Thanks.

I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic in all of my vehicles for the last 10 years. sigh...I remember when It was only $4 a quart. Now it's twice that much
No it's 26.62 + 2.33 = 28.95 / 5 =
$5.79 / quart at walmart

Old 10-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #13
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There was no court case...
It was a decision made by the NAD (National Advertising Division) of the BBB. In fact, the product at question was Castrol Syntec. Not Mobil1. Mobil1 was the company calling out Castrol for having changed their formula by removing the PAOs(the main sythetic part) in the Syntec line. Castrol was able to present enough "evidence" to convince the NAD that Group III base oil could legitimately be called synthetic, so they ruled in Castrol's favor. This ruling has no "legal" standing. It merely means that as far as the NAD is concerned, an oil company is not falsely advertising an oil as "full synthetic" if that oil is made from Group III base oil.

I know personally that up until a few years ago Mobil1's website in their FAQs stated they used PAOs in their oil. I can no longer find that so you may be right that it might be a Group III now, but so is most of your other 'synthetics' (ie. Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Syn, Castrol Syntec, etc.)

Old 10-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
The best oil for the taco is the 0w-30 Castrol syntec 'european formula '

Old 10-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #15
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Bones.
I have heard or read somewhere about recycled oil.
Now I'm not saying this is it at all but like the others have said get it analyzed.

I saw something on TW about a oil analysis costing like 25 bucks.

This is very interesting and I'll be waiting on your updates.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
i use Mobil 1 synthetic in my truck and Valvoline in the rest of my vehicles, cant go wrong with either. Also a little known secret about Mobil 1, O'Reilly's brand oil is Mobil 1 in disguise, one of their employees told me this. So if you want to get Mobil 1 for cheap get the O'Reilly's brand oil cuz it is the same stuff.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
The best oil for the taco is the 0w-30 Castrol syntec 'european formula '
Pretty definitive statement... I'm not one to say you're incorrect (due to ignorance) but what do you base this claim on?

Old 10-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #18
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
I used to use 50w on my bug haha

Old 10-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #19
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
i use Mobil 1 synthetic in my truck and Valvoline in the rest of my vehicles, cant go wrong with either. Also a little known secret about Mobil 1, O'Reilly's brand oil is Mobil 1 in disguise, one of their employees told me this. So if you want to get Mobil 1 for cheap get the O'Reilly's brand oil cuz it is the same stuff.
I don't know that I would go trusting the O'Reilly's guy all that much.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #20
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
I've done a ton of oils across the years. Amsoil is not certified by anyone, ie GM, VW, BMW, whatnot so they can change their formula and you would never know because there is no real third party testing. The best oils imho are the 0w-30 Castrol syntech ( goodluck finding it, very hard ) and the new 5w-30 Pennzoil Ultra ( highest grade level oil on the market now, I use it on my 650rwhp cts-v and have opened up the motor and seen how spotless it looked after 30k miles )

Closed Thread

Products Discussed in this Thread