1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ignition - Clutch Relay switch requiring more travel

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Nov 8, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    No effect. It's a simple "complete-the-circuit" switch. That's all. I got no problem with 4-low.

It's a liability/safety thing. Unless you're a moron, you either push in the clutch or check the tranny is in neutral before you start any vehicle. That is, if you learned to drive on a manual trans.

edit: I'm not saying anyone is a moron - sorry if it came across that way...

2. Nov 8, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    On my dodge I just cut the wires off the switch and soldered them together so the circuit was always closed and I didn't have to push in the clutch

3. Nov 8, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    ive noticed this as well, guess im crawling under the dash this weekend.

4. Nov 12, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    Jere

Jere [OP] Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    As I mentioned, I added a grommet/stopper I found in a cup of such things in my workshop to the end of the switch. It extends the switch about ⅜" and resolves my problem.

P1040908.jpg

5. Nov 12, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    xopher65

xopher65 Active Member

Member:
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 2.7l 5-speed 5-lug reg cab 2WD
    Can you still push your clutch pedal all the way to the floor without knocking your grommet/stopper out of alignment?
    I like not needing to engage the clutch at all to start the engine.

6. Nov 12, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Good solution. Thanks for posting pics. I am going to do something similar to my company truck. For some reason, my 06 does not have this problem, but the 09 does.

7. Nov 13, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    Jere

Jere [OP] Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    It's been on for about 5 days now, I can push the clutch to the floor, I just no longer have to bury the pedal into the carpet. This stopper thing has enough flex to absorb any extra pushing while engaging the switch at a much mor comfortable position. Time will tell how it holds up thru the winter when I often drive with insulated boots.

8. Dec 17, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    PRE10

PRE10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCaL
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner 4Banger
    This is awesome!!! Thank you for posting this. This works perfect and still works with my remote start.

9. Mar 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    toyomac

toyomac New Member

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco 2WD Standard
    added cruise
    I have an 07 Taco with the clutch travel getting longer with time to where it bottomed out on the floor before completing the circuit. Here it what I did: disconnected and removed the switch, took the few pieces of it apart and alcohol-cleaned the lubricant off the wiping contacts and reassembled. The inside contact length for this switch is about 3/8-1/2 inch. With time the lubricant from the plunger (where the pedal pushes) finds its way onto the contacts and prevents the sliding portion from making contact, until they push far enough to get past the lubricant. With time and spreading lubricant, the push gets longer and longer. Mine is OK
    now.
    If anyone has experienced a clutch master cylinder problem at the same time, or after a long time of 'bottoming out' the clutch when starting, it is possible that with the extended travel required with the 'dirty' switch contact that the clutch master cylinder may be traveling too far causing the flat neoprene washer to contact one of the brake-fluid flow holes and starting a slow deterioration of the gasket. My master cylinder failed and the cause was damage to the edge of the flat O ring.

Another post when I get the measurements done.

April 04/12: Had a look at my busted clutch master cylinder to see if the excess clutch travel could have damaged it. The answer is NO, the master cyillinder
    bottoms out before its piston O-ring reaches the internal opening where the fluid exits the master cylinder. However at the other of the master cylinder travel this O-ring can rub on the opening where the fluid enters
    from the brake fluid source. Don't know what the spec is but this can be avoided by not allowiing the master cylinder piston to return to its mechanical stop. The adjustment on mine is made by adjusting the threaded
    cap on the backside of the pedal.

10. Oct 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    dougtoms01

dougtoms01 Member

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Std Cab
    Bucket Seats
    If you get stuck, you can put in neutral, e-brake on, push button by hand and turn on ignition. I just taped a nickel to back side of plate that is attached to clutch. I'll defeat the switch when I have more than 5 minutes :)

11. Oct 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Shoulda used a penny and saved 80% :D

12. Jan 10, 2018 at 11:16 PM
    potterwatch_1

potterwatch_1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tonya
    Vehicle:
    2005 5 speed blue tacoma
    You just saved me. Ive been trying to get my damn truck going for hours now with two of the guys i work thwith who both know trucks like the backs of their hands and nada. Look at the first thread, and boom, problem solved. Thank you so much for helping me.

tacobell007[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jan 11, 2018 at 8:02 AM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    Glad someone found my post useful!

14. Jan 21, 2018 at 9:21 PM
    bijick

bijick such mods much want

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Stl
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Singular Cabular Selectable
    OME 884’s ,Dakar hd’s, Jba uca, lce header, 4.88’s, Arb locker , j shift tcase-T4R, arb bumper, leer topper, 3500w inverter, mad wife, scratched paint, skid plates, snorkelerer, led flush mount reverse lights, etc..
    Been having this problem off and on for a while. My brother borrowed my truck to move some shit, killed it (rookie), and it wouldn’t start. I took the plunger assembly off, and taped the crap out of it with electrical tape and tucked it behind the kick panel. Although I’m not a huge fan of needing no clutch to start it and for some added security, I’ll probably hook it up to a simple switch and hide it somewhere by the pedals. Nobody will be stealing your truck if you turn off it’s ability to start.

15. Feb 2, 2018 at 5:00 AM
    n0+4c|u3

n0+4c|u3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 Tacoma Xtra cab 2WD
    K&N air filter
    I did this fix yesterday after locating a switch online and realizing I could disassemble it.
    The old dielectric grease had dried leaving contact to nothing, I cleaned it out, and reassembled using new dielectric grease.
    When you have it disassembled you'll notice that there are two sets of contacts, one side unused. Assemble with the unused side towards the switch contact.

16. May 9, 2018 at 5:32 AM
    Corn

Corn Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    00' Tacoma 4x4 ext. cab 3.4 ltr
    Fog lights, suspension, wheels
    I wonder if this switch could fail intermittently? Or if it would just fail outright?
    Possibly having an issue with this with my 2000 Tacoma. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes by lifting the pedal just a hair it will start.

17. May 9, 2018 at 7:22 AM
    bijick

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Stl
    Vehicle:
    OME 884’s ,Dakar hd’s, Jba uca, lce header, 4.88’s, Arb locker , j shift tcase-T4R, arb bumper, leer topper, 3500w inverter, mad wife, scratched paint, skid plates, snorkelerer, led flush mount reverse lights, etc..
    You can see the switch if you stick your head under there, my clutch pedal wasn’t fully depressing the switch. I ended up wiring it to a toggle switch I tucked behind my kick panel. When I’m not driving it I flip the switch and unplug the clutch start cancel and it won’t start without rolling.

18. May 9, 2018 at 10:41 AM
    Corn

Corn Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    00' Tacoma 4x4 ext. cab 3.4 ltr
    Fog lights, suspension, wheels
    I suspect that the switch is dirty inside. I may attempt to clean the connection points in the inside before I spend $60.

The pedal makes full contact with the switch peg, depressing it fully.

19. May 9, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    bijick

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Stl
    Vehicle:
    Yeah for such a simple deal I don’t think it’s worth that, could always just connect the two wires permanently as well. Just gotta make sure anyone else who drives it knows it’ll start without the clutch lol

20. May 9, 2018 at 6:43 PM
    n0+4c|u3

n0+4c|u3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 Tacoma Xtra cab 2WD
    K&N air filter
    It's a really simple fix, carefully pry the little tabs from the bottom part of the switch, without breaking them, and the whole assembly will come apart in your hand. Mine was just dirty.

Products Discussed in

To Top