Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ignition - Clutch Relay switch requiring more travel

Old 10-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Ignition - Clutch Relay switch requiring more travel

I have a 2010 4cyl manual Tacoma with 20,000 miles on it. It seems that I have to mash the clutch into the floor, pushing the back of the pedal well into the carpet to defeat the relay for the ignition. I am convinced it is getting harder and harder to push the clutch pedal in far enough to trip the switch. I've crawled in on the floor with a flashlight, but can't seem to find the switch point to see if I can adjust it. The clutch itself is working fine, no problems with shifting at normal engage depth, it is just the switch that relays to the ignition.

Anyone have problem with this switch requiring more and more depth? Anyone find an adjustment point. These are the kind of things I hate to take to a dealer.
Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
MajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud of

Marines: Sergeant of Marines, 4th Force Recon
Name: Johnny
MajKong's Tacoma Gallery
Move your seat forward!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I had to do some extensive searching to find this picture. The arrow points to the adjustment nut. Not sure how easy it is to access said adjuster but there is one up there. Just don't overdo it or you will be able to start without the clutch pushed in properly.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:34 AM   #4
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Adjusting the seat doesn't alter how far into the carpet I have to jam the pedal.
Thanks for the diagram, that gives me a starting point. I'm not worried about a vehicle that can be started with the clutch not pushed in, that would make it like the vehicles I drove a couple million miles in before these safety devices were mandated into vehicles.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #5
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere View Post
Adjusting the seat doesn't alter how far into the carpet I have to jam the pedal.
Thanks for the diagram, that gives me a starting point. I'm not worried about a vehicle that can be started with the clutch not pushed in, that would make it like the vehicles I drove a couple million miles in before these safety devices were mandated into vehicles.
That would also dissable your cruise control if overdone.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Good call.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
saugus is on a distinguished road
saugus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
I had to do some extensive searching to find this picture. The arrow points to the adjustment nut. Not sure how easy it is to access said adjuster but there is one up there. Just don't overdo it or you will be able to start without the clutch pushed in properly.

I think that nut is there to hold the switch in place.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
charles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud of

charles08tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same issue on my 2.7 Prerunner. I have the stock carpeted mats. I will look at mine using the diagram & not go too far adjusting the nut. Thanks for posting the digram
Old 10-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles08tacoma View Post
I have the same issue on my 2.7 Prerunner. I have the stock carpeted mats. I will look at mine using the diagram & not go too far adjusting the nut. Thanks for posting the digram
Always happy to help out.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Also, I'd check to see if your tab on the pedal is bending..common problems on 1st Gen Taco's and 2nd Gen 4runners.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have the same issue with my 2009 company truck. It's also a Tacoma. I have looked under the dash and it does not appear that the switch is adjustable. I wrapped the plastic actuator that is part of the clutch pedal with duct tape to try and make it thicker and require less travel to push the switch. It's starting to need more travel again, I think the tape has compressed. It's irritating, and I have had my foot come up just enough to disengage the starter. Sometimes when I push it back down I will grind the starter.

If you are comfortable defeating that safety switch, it should be easy to do.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #13
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
I believe the cruise has a seperate switch that is pressed in with the clutch pedal in the up position. My truck will not start until the clutch is all the way down, but a very light pressure on the clutch will disengage the cruise.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:03 AM   #14
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
all you do is unplug the switch..lulz or tape the pin in..so contacts always touch.

4x4 ftw..clutch start cancel ftw.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
xopher65 is on a distinguished road
xopher65's Tacoma Gallery
I was having trouble with this too. Here's an alternate solution. The Clutch Start Switch energizes the Start Relay in the left engine compartment R/B just aft of the battery which allows +12 VDC to the starter motor. I removed that relay and jumpered pins 3 and 5 with a short wire with spade terminals. See the jumper in the picture. I should have taken a picture before relay removal. Anyway, this relay interlocks (disables) the starter +12 VDC from the ignition switch when the clutch is not fully depressed.

Also, the ECU will still only get +12 VDC when the clutch is fully depressed with the ignition switch in the start position. I don't know what the ECU does with this signal. My truck starts fine with the clutch pedal up.

This function is independent of the cruise control clutch switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Ignition - Clutch Relay switch requiring more travel-dscn6701-2-.jpg  
Old 11-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Why would you be against taking it to the dealership? You bought a new vehicle with a warranty, let them fix it before rigging it with duct tape. You paid for the warranty, no harm in using it.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #17
Outdoorsman

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
For what it's worth, I found a rubber grommet with the right sized hole in the back side to make a boot for the switch. That extended the switch length by about ¼". Everything is working fine now.
Attached Thumbnails
Ignition - Clutch Relay switch requiring more travel-p1040908.jpg  
Old 11-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #18

Quote:
For what it's worth, I found a rubber grommet with the right sized hole in the back side to make a boot for the switch. That extended the switch length by about ¼". Everything is working fine now.

Glad to hear you got it working.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #19
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
Easy solution to disable, for both Gen 1 and 2 - pull the plug on the switch and short the contacts on the wire. Done.

I simply took a loose "U" shaped, unused crimp terminal and slid it into the plug. Works perfectly. Now you don't need to press in your clutch to start the truck. I did this the first day I had both trucks.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #20
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Wonder what tinkering with it may have with getting it into 4 low.