Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

what is the difference between the pre-runners and the SR5's

Old 06-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
Carolina Alliance
07TRDsport is on a distinguished road

07TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
what is the difference between the pre-runners and the SR5's

what is the difference between the pre-runners and the SR5's? whats better? im new to the tacoma stuff. i just got myself a new Toyota monday and i really havent payed any attention to toyotas before.. so feed me some info.. thanks
Old 06-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
A PreRunner is like an SR5 with the addition of a taller suspension and better shocks. A PreRunner has a rear locker and it has the same ride height as a 4x4.

I would go with the PreRunner.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Warheads On Foreheads Division
MarkC is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AGE (aerospace ground equipment) mechanic
Name: Mark
MarkC's Tacoma Gallery
SR5 is a trim package. or at least it was on 1st gen's
Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
coreyredken is on a distinguished road

coreyredken's Tacoma Gallery
Yup.. SR5 is the trim package/level... Meaning Sport Rally 5 and pb2themax is right its set on a 4x4 suspension.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
PreRunners don't always come with a locker on the rear. I wish I had one.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
PreRunners don't always come with a locker on the rear. I wish I had one.
Maybe it's only V6 PreRunners.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:33 AM   #7
Carolina Alliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2themax View Post
A PreRunner is like an SR5 with the addition of a taller suspension and better shocks. A PreRunner has a rear locker and it has the same ride height as a 4x4.

I would go with the PreRunner.

so the prerunners has better shocks than my 4x4/SR5/TRD Sport? idk whatchya call my truck really thats all the tags its got on it

whats the difference in the bilstein shocks?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:43 AM   #8
coreyredken is on a distinguished road

coreyredken's Tacoma Gallery
Hey 07TRDsport... read what pb2themax said again carefully....

Did you pick it up that time? He said "A prerunner is like an SR5 with addition of a taller suspension and better shocks"

He was comparing the SR5 and the Prerunner... NOT the TRD Sport.

Heheh... Pay attention... In class please... hahahah Hope this helps ya!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:25 AM   #9
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TRDsport View Post
so the prerunners has better shocks than my 4x4/SR5/TRD Sport? idk whatchya call my truck really thats all the tags its got on it

whats the difference in the bilstein shocks?
The TRD package comes with the best suspension you can get from the factory. The TRD package uses bilstein suspension. if you have detailed questions about their suspension, i would check out their website. But in a nutshell, bilstein is a higher end suspension than what comes out of the factory. Some people will tell you differently, but in my opinion Bilstein is the best suspension manufacturer out there. I had their aggressive bilstein sport setup on my Beamer and they never stopped impressing me. They are unbelievably tough, last forever without getting "squishy", and grip the road like glue. When i found out that Toyota uses Bilstein for their TRD, thats whta made me decide to pay extra for the package. Trust me, you're good
Old 06-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #10
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SR5 is a "trim" package. Adds: color keyed exterior, chrome rear bumper, cruise control, and power everything.

TRD is a "trim" package. Adds: SR5 package PLUS better suspension components, upgraded seats, better wheels/tires, and stickers (let us not forget the stickers)

Standard, X-Runner, 4X4, and PreRunner are suspension and drivetrain packages.

The standard configuration is what you see going down the road with company logos and more junk in the bed than you would think a truck should have. I believe that ALL of these are 4 cylinders.

X-Runners look like a standard height Tacoma, but they are very upgraded. Suspension, Wheels, exterior trim, V6 engine, and other upgrades that I am not familiar with. X-Runners only come available in AccessCabs.

4X4 is just that. It is a 4X4 with upgraded suspension and ride height. You can get a 4X4 on Regular Cab, AccessCab, and Double Cab. You can get it in a 4 cylinder Regular and AccessCab. You can get it in a V6 in Access or Double Cab.

PreRunners are a 4X4 suspension package with out the 4 wheel drive components. Everything else is exactly the same. You can get a 4X4 on Regular Cab, AccessCab, and Double Cab. You can get it in a 4 cylinder Regular and AccessCab. You can get it in a V6 in Access or Double Cab.

I hope this clears up any confusion...
Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #11
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
007, you forgot to mention the bed outlet in the TRD, which is one of my favorite features

I did learn something from your post though, i didn't realize you couldn't get a V6 in a regular cab. Thats kinda lame, what if you wanted the most basic truck possible but wanted the power of the V6? Oh well i guess you learn something new everyday

BTW, i noticed something on your signature. does that quote refer to Chuck Norris?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #12
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
007, you forgot to mention the bed outlet in the TRD, which is one of my favorite features

I did learn something from your post though, i didn't realize you couldn't get a V6 in a regular cab. Thats kinda lame, what if you wanted the most basic truck possible but wanted the power of the V6? Oh well i guess you learn something new everyday

BTW, i noticed something on your signature. does that quote refer to Chuck Norris?
OH YEAH! That would be my favorite feature too! (If I had it )

Yeah, it kinda stinks about the V6 in the basic model.

The quote in my signature refers to the Dos Equis Commercials (XX) - their new ad campaign is surrounded around "the most interesting man in the world". I just thought that quote was friggin hilarious.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #13
TRDeity is on a distinguished road

TRDeity's Tacoma Gallery
Mark you also forgot the better rear end on the TRDs, either the locker or the LSD.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #14

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
OH YEAH! That would be my favorite feature too! (If I had it )

Yeah, it kinda stinks about the V6 in the basic model.

The quote in my signature refers to the Dos Equis Commercials (XX) - their new ad campaign is surrounded around "the most interesting man in the world". I just thought that quote was friggin hilarious.

I don't know how many of you have seen that list of reasons why Chuck Norris is badass, but thats just where i assume it came from. it's got stuff like, "behind Chuck's beard there is no chin, just another fist" "Chuck's tears can cure cancer, too bad he never cries" "Its a fact that dinosaurs died from a roundhouse kick to the face.... from Chuck Norris"

I just thought that your quote might be a new one from that list. BTW, if anyone has a link to that list you should post it, i'd love to read it again.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #15
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDeity View Post
Mark you also forgot the better rear end on the TRDs, either the locker or the LSD.
Yeah - that is THE one thing that would have made a TRD completely worth it to me. I just couldn't get one with a 4 cylinder.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #16
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
...BTW, if anyone has a link to that list you should post it, i'd love to read it again.
I think the local rock station has it on their website in Houston. I will try to see if I can find it.

It is hilarious.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:11 PM   #17
Carolina Alliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyredken View Post
Hey 07TRDsport... read what pb2themax said again carefully....

Did you pick it up that time? He said "A prerunner is like an SR5 with addition of a taller suspension and better shocks"

He was comparing the SR5 and the Prerunner... NOT the TRD Sport.

Heheh... Pay attention... In class please... hahahah Hope this helps ya!

i did pay attention corey... and my truck HAS the SR5 tag on the tailgate but also the TRD Sport sticker on the sides. so i didnt know if the prerunner still had better shocks because i have the SR5 logo. eventhough i have the blisten shocks. i didnt know if toyota had a PreRunner logo on the tailgate and TRDsport on the side making it a better truck. like i said. im new to the whole toyota thing.. lol

thanks ND and 007 for the clear up.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:40 AM   #18
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
i did pay attention corey... and my truck HAS the SR5 tag on the tailgate but also the TRD Sport sticker on the sides. so i didnt know if the prerunner still had better shocks because i have the SR5 logo. eventhough i have the blisten shocks. i didnt know if toyota had a PreRunner logo on the tailgate and TRDsport on the side making it a better truck. like i said. im new to the whole toyota thing.. lol

No problem, glad I could help!

BTW - All "TRD" trims ARE SR5's. I don't know if PreRunners have better shocks, as much as they are better for the added height. TRD's get the better shocks.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:14 AM   #19

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

No problem, there are no stupid questions. Things can get kinda confusing when your truck has two dozen different letter/number combinations and decals on it. I researched Taco's for about 4 months before i bought mine but before that i was completely clueless. Don't worry dude, you have a badass truck. Most questions you have about your truck have been addressed at some point on this forum. Take some time to browse all the old threads and you should be an expert by the time you're through.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #20
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
SR5 is the standard options that come out of the factory, everything is listed SR5. Pre-Runner, 4x4, trd, all the extra letting all refers to options you can get with the truck, like just badging for the package. TRD comes with these options..... and Sport has these........ it's just a different title for a different option. The bilsteins are good, but not the greatest shock you can get for your truck. The leaf springs squeak and bottom out easily, and there's a few members that have had leaking shocks, I am one of them. Most people actually just spend the extra money for something they want thats in a package since they don't come individually, and most people don't want to take the time to add things in. Like the oil cooler, tranny cooler. Power outlet, New shocks, moon roof, hitch, leather, etc.