Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

yellow fog bulbs or yellow film for fogs

View Poll Results: yellow bulbs or yellow film for fogs?
bulbs 51 79.69%
film 13 20.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
yellow fog bulbs or yellow film for fogs

gonna make the fogs yellow. Is it better to replace the bulbs with yellow ones, or to put the laminx film on?

I've used both on previous vehicles, just curious what you guys use.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you want, both basically do that same thing, one uses a tinted bulb, the other tints the fog light lens. The point is neither is a true yellow light, both change white light to yellow using tints.

I went with yellow bulbs because I wanted the fog lights to be clear (wasn't a big fan of the yellow look from lamin-x).
Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
The greenmonstah
greenmonstah is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: truck guy/emt
Name: Andy
greenmonstah's Tacoma Gallery
bulbs would be more practical the film just gives it a tint more for looks. the bulbs will give the look of the film to when they are off
Old 10-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
very hard to put a flat film on a curved lens without bubbles or creases.i say bulb
Old 10-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
very hard to put a flat film on a curved lens without bubbles or creases.i say bulb
The first light I put film on I had a small crease on the outer edge. I learned from the first and the second light went great. They definitely take a little skill to put on, although I put mine on in the dead of winter. The trick is to get the as warm as possible and lay it down fast because once it cools down the glue sets and it will never stick again. I've had mine for almost 3 years and they have held up great.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
757southpaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson View Post
I have both. Lamin-x yellow film and Nokya 2500k bulbs. I love it.
x2...hyperyellow 2500k Nokya
Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
GETTN IT
th3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
th3bigk0's Tacoma Gallery
hobby paint works great
Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
3000k HID's
Old 10-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05sctaco View Post
3000k HID's

Old 10-17-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3bigk0 View Post
hobby paint works great
If you're going for the yellow lens, this is a great option! Someone did a write-up on this, they used a Krylon product meant for tinting glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05sctaco View Post
3000k HID's
A perfect way to blind oncoming traffic and eliminate the effectiveness of your fog lights in foul weather
Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Bulbs. They would keep the clear lens look of the front.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #13
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
It's the Krylon Stained Glass (yellow)

and how does using 3k HID for your fog lights eliminate the effectiveness?? I thought it be a bit better ya?? iono.. enlighten me please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If you're going for the yellow lens, this is a great option! Someone did a write-up on this, they used a Krylon product meant for tinting glass.

A perfect way to blind oncoming traffic and eliminate the effectiveness of your fog lights in foul weather
Old 10-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
It's the Krylon Stained Glass (yellow)

and how does using 3k HID for your fog lights eliminate the effectiveness?? I thought it be a bit better ya?? iono.. enlighten me please
Because it just shoots light in all directions, not just a low horizontal beam. The stray light that is relfected upward (the light that would blind oncoming traffic) will create a wall of light if there is fog or heavy snow, effectively rendering your 'fogs' useless. More light output is only better if it's properly aimed.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #16
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

so retrofitting your foglights with projectors will make it more effective than the oem/stock build?

Quote:
Because it just shoots light in all directions, not just a low horizontal beam. The stray light that is relfected upward (the light that would blind oncoming traffic) will create a wall of light if there is fog or heavy snow, effectively rendering your 'fogs' useless. More light output is only better if it's properly aimed.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so retrofitting your foglights with projectors will make it more effective than the oem/stock build?
In my opinion, the stock fogs actually work fairly well for fog and I liked them even better with the Nokya 45W yellow bulbs but yes, a retrofit would be the ultimate fog light set-up. In foul weather, you want a clean cut off that throws light low to the ground. The intese light you get with a retrofit and the width of the beam would be pretty hard to beat. I would love to have a set of S2K's or LS430's in my fogs. I'm actually thinking about doing the blazer retrofit just for simplicity.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thus is the theory...
Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #19
just an AnT

Appreciate your opinion and your reasoning behind it! You lit up my hopes! As previously stated in a different thread, I had a discussion with Jerez in regards to retrofitting the fogs and what not. But now that I have heard both sides of the story, I may go the blazer route as well it makes sense now !

Jump on the blazers soon because the group buy is still up!!!

Quote:
In my opinion, the stock fogs actually work fairly well for fog and I liked them even better with the Nokya 45W yellow bulbs but yes, a retrofit would be the ultimate fog light set-up. In foul weather, you want a clean cut off that throws light low to the ground. The intese light you get with a retrofit and the width of the beam would be pretty hard to beat. I would love to have a set of S2K's or LS430's in my fogs. I'm actually thinking about doing the blazer retrofit just for simplicity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben7726 View Post
thus is the theory...
Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Appreciate your opinion and your reasoning behind it! You lit up my hopes! As previously stated in a different thread, I had a discussion with Jerez in regards to retrofitting the fogs and what not. But now that I have heard both sides of the story, I may go the blazer route as well it makes sense now !

Jump on the blazers soon because the group buy is still up!!!
I thought the Retrofit Source group buy was only for Stage 3 or 4 retro kits, not the blazers?

I might have to PM that cummins6speed character!