Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How Many Spray Paint Cans to Paint a Plate Bumper?

Old 10-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
How Many Spray Paint Cans to Paint a Plate Bumper?

I'm just weighing my options and costs if I get a front plate bumper. For you boys that painted your bumpers, how many cans and cost if using Rustoleum or other automative grade paint?
Old 10-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
paint is going to be the cheapest. Probably between 3-5 cans depending on how many coats you apply. Powder coating will offer a bit more protection, but it will eventually chip and then you're stuck painting that anyways. Powder coat is also MUCH more expensive, probably 2-300 for your bumper.

If it were me I would buy 5-6 cans. Paint it and then put the rest on the shelf for when I need to do touch ups.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:39 AM   #3
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
PC is more expensive for sure.

I'm thinking much more than 6 cans. It'll take 6 cans for a rear bumper and those have less surface area. And remember, we have to paint the backside too. Maybe more like 12 or more cans total for 2 coats primer and 3 coats final color. That could end up costing about $60-$75 right there.

I'd like to hear from those that actually did paint themselves.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
For my rear base all pro I used 2 cans of primer and 3 cans of paint .