Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

key fob fit in Realtor key Box ?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
mikesfarm is on a distinguished road
mikesfarm's Tacoma Gallery
key fob fit in Realtor key Box ?

I am thinking of hiding a key inside my truck and putting my spare entry key fob in a realtor locking box. The kind that look a a over sized padlock. When I am out hunting or wade fishing I could lock it to one of my bed floor tie downs like a padlock. If someone were able to get in it they could get in the truck but not drive off with it. Question is will a key fob fit inside a realtor padlock style key box ?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
silver11 is on a distinguished road
silver11's Tacoma Gallery
I have same one as in the pic on one of my properties so when I was there today I tried it . . . It works for just the key fob was not easy to close but it worked . . . If you are not doing it all the time it would work great
Old 10-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
You replied 10 minutes after I posted it. You thought that same thing and tried it before reading my post ?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
http://www.hitchsafe.com/

Problem solved...
If you get one of these, don't forget to get a locking hitch pin... Otherwise that would just defeat the purpose.

Would be pretty funny though.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Problem solved...
i want that
Old 10-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
Quote:

Problem solved...
Unless you are towing atvs or other toys.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
If you get one of these, don't forget to get a locking hitch pin... Otherwise that would just defeat the purpose.

Would be pretty funny though.
Did you read the description from the manufacture? Here it is again...

"The HitchSafe slides into your current standard 2" Hitch Receiver on your Truck, SUV or Van and is secured inside the Receiver Hitch via two bolt retaining bars inside the HitchSafe."
Old 10-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
silver11 is on a distinguished road
silver11's Tacoma Gallery
No I just happen to be there killing time reading tw on my phone so I tried it gave me something to do
Old 10-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Problem solved...
I will be concerned about the water, salt, mud and other elements ,over the locking mechanism. it looks good...
Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Problem solved...
Open carry your gun, then just put the bullets in hitch.....
Old 07-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesfarm View Post
(snip) Question is will a key fob fit inside a realtor padlock style key box?
Sorry, no. I just happened to have one (exactly like that shown in your image) sitting around and just now tried it. The Tacoma's key flob is too wide, and the ignition key too long, to fit inside. The flob hits the lock mechanism on one side and won't go all the way into the box (unless you really force it, scratching up the flob). The ignition key is a bit more than a 1/4-inch too long and likewise won't go all the way in.

Even if you could force them in, either one (flob or key) is also a bit too thick (door likely wouldn't close). There's only enough room (thickness wise) inside with the front attached for two or three thin keys (like those shown in the image), little else.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #13
Crooked Beat is on a distinguished road
Crooked Beat's Tacoma Gallery
Here is how I do it using the Realtor box:

Get a cheap key cut $1.99 - won't start truck but will open the door. Put that key in the Realtor box and key fob locked in truck.

The realtor box has been very useful to me using the cheap key.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
Shaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaunsquatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shaun
Shaunsquatch's Tacoma Gallery
I take one of my fobs and seal in a small pouch made with a food saver. Leave the key in the truck and throw the fob in my pocket or pack. I have kept a fob in the same packet for over 4 years with no problems, including wading, kayaking and swimming.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #15
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Good ideas! I got my dad one of those hitch safes, he likes it.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #16
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Did you read the description from the manufacture? Here it is again...

"The HitchSafe slides into your current standard 2" Hitch Receiver on your Truck, SUV or Van and is secured inside the Receiver Hitch via two bolt retaining bars inside the HitchSafe."
Did you read it?

"Note: The 2005-current Toyota Tacoma's and the 07-current Tundra OEM Hitch Receivers require optional longer pins (contact us for the pins). Click here for more details. The HitchSafe fits all other makes & models to include RVs, all OEM and all aftermarket hitch receivers.
These longer pins also work on the large commercial trucks with the rare 2.5" receiver (with 2" adaptor)."