1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed All Pro's 3" leaf an they are STIFF!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Clzay, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Oct 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    Clzay

Clzay [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Modesto, CA
    Vehicle:
    Cali Lean n mean... ha
    I just installed All Pro's 3" (standard) leaf pack with a set of 5160 Bilstein rear shocks on my 2010 DC Prerunner and man the rear rides stiff like a lifted truck :( Everyone says how soft these leafs are, so I was hoping for something similar to my stock rear leafs w/TSB. But nope these things are actually kinda harsh over bumps, they don't seem to soak up bumps and are a lot stiffer than before. What to you guys think from you experiences with All Pro's rear leafs compared to stock??

2. Oct 17, 2011 at 12:40 PM
    rberumen2

rberumen2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    wow, i'm shocked too. i was debating between the all pro or dakar. i'd like to know as well.

3. Oct 17, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    xSectionxEightx

xSectionxEightx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 4.0L 6sp Access Cab
    Allpro LT powder coated black with Fox 2.5s. BAMF Sliders w/ kick outs. Allpro Expo leaf pack and Fox 2.0 RR. Brute Force hybrid bumper. BAMF Roofrack. Tepui Kukenam in Siberia Camo. CBI ditch light brackets. Cobra CB. Allpro skidplate.
    I have the Allpro standard pack. They are extremely stiff. Like rattle your kidneys stiff.

4. Oct 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    Clzay

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Modesto, CA
    Vehicle:
    Cali Lean n mean... ha
    haha! Sorry to hear glad i'm not the only one who feels this way!

5. Oct 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    theres alot of variables, but going from a 4 leaf pack to the Allpro standard 3" leaf pack was not very significant change... but modding no matter what you do will change the ride, usually harsher

6. Oct 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    try putting some weight in the back

7. Oct 17, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    I imagine once they get broken in they will be a little better. I have heard that they are pretty harsh though.

Fink

8. Oct 17, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    xSectionxEightx

xSectionxEightx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 4.0L 6sp Access Cab
    Allpro LT powder coated black with Fox 2.5s. BAMF Sliders w/ kick outs. Allpro Expo leaf pack and Fox 2.0 RR. Brute Force hybrid bumper. BAMF Roofrack. Tepui Kukenam in Siberia Camo. CBI ditch light brackets. Cobra CB. Allpro skidplate.
    They ride much better with about 300 lbs in the bed

9. Oct 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    Clzay

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Modesto, CA
    Vehicle:
    Cali Lean n mean... ha
    Yep I have some weight back there now, but might go back to stock leafs. I want a soft ride like stock, but was tryn to get the rear higher to match my spindle lift up front without running a block. Does anyone make a soft ridding leaf for the rear that has better travel an performance than stock?

10. Oct 17, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Take it offroad and break it in.

If you want it to retain stock ride, keep it stock... if you want it to be an offroad vehicle, then be prepared for the give/take of modifications.

REDdawn6 likes this.
  11. Oct 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Just let them break in man there going to be stiff at first. My expos are stiff as hell for about 2 months and then they broke in and are a lot softer.

12. Oct 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    arrrghhh

arrrghhh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road
    Custom Front Bumper, Smittybilt XRC-8, 3" OME lift, 33" Falken A/T tires
    If you're adding more leafs it'll never be soft. NEVER.

You can't have a work truck with a Cadillac ride. Choose one. Seriously...

I was a little surprised at how stiff the ride was after my lift, but it's one of those things - do you want stock ride height, or do you want a lift? If you want a lift, you're going to sacrifice ride comfort.

As others have said, they will break in - but don't expect the ride to be as soft as stock or better than stock. You can't have your cake and eat it too, sorry.

13. Oct 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    J4RR

J4RR Well-Known Member

Member:
    The OC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD SPORT 4X4
    You should've gone with some Deaver 12packs those are nice and soft and provide good lift but the are $$$$!

14. Oct 17, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    J4RR

J4RR Well-Known Member

Member:
    The OC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD SPORT 4X4
    Dakar's are the same way, they start really stiff then soften up but still retain the lift and they maintain their payload capacity very well, I've had them for almost 3years now and they are perfect right now, still a little stiff but that's normal, offroad they handle great, as good as a moderate 3" lift goes.

15. Oct 17, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    Clzay

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Modesto, CA
    Vehicle:
    Cali Lean n mean... ha
    So what about these SoCal people with there "desert style prerunner baja trucks" the back of those trucks are nice and soft. They're running what looks to be similar set-up, 11-12pack leafs and shocks. Nothing to crazy money wise and the back of those truck are soft an smushy. Thats i guess what i was hoping for, but cam nowhere close :(

16. Oct 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    i think ur gonna need some better shocks homie! First of all, there is no comparison to LT and anything fairly stock so dont even keep tha thought in your mind that your truck will ride like theirs the way it is! Most LT trucks have a lot better springs and A LOT better shocks with very good valving and tuning to get them to ride like they do! Spend a few grand just on springs and shocks then ask your same question again! All im sayin is you're comparing two things that arent remotely close to eachother! Just listen to some of these folks advice and break those bitches in! ;)

17. Oct 17, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    Clzay

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Modesto, CA
    Vehicle:
    Cali Lean n mean... ha
    Yea im gonna leave them on for a little and see if they soften up a bit. I just wasn't expecting them to be this hard, i don't tow a trailer and the only thing i do haul is my dirt bike... maybe i should have gone with another choice. Who makes a softer spring, that'll give me 2-3inches and rides soft like stock? Deaver maybe?

18. Oct 17, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes

Wheel them, or wait to break them in OP, every new part is stiff at first. my coils were giving me almost an extra 1/2 inch of lift before they settled

But as for the post above, and how you talked of the "soft LT springs", those are a different beast. Those full LT guys don't usually put too much weight in the bed, the "soft" springs get great flex but you sacrifice load capacity. IIRC the deavers and a lot of other leaf packs come with heads ups that theyre not meant to be used with loads

19. Oct 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM
    hudhawk

hudhawk #texasforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Hudson
    California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Rust, lots of rust
    I installed the All-Pro Standard 3" leaf pack about 3 weeks ago paired with a set of 10" travel Fox 2.0 w/ resis from Downsouth Motorsports specifically valved for me and my driving style. The ride is awesome! Driving around town the leafs are defintely stiffer than stock, turning in to parking lots aand such you can feel every uneven spot. However, at speed these leafs with the Fox 2.0 are amazing, theyve soaked up way more than i though they would. I got a chance a few weeks back, while working recovery, to drive on part of the race course at the Texana Ranch after the Chupacabra 300. At one point, in order to get back to the main camp, we had to drive on the roughest wasboard road ive ever seen/felt in my life, the rear end felt like it was floating. The front end was bouncing quite a bit, but thats another story.

20. Oct 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    Blacktacoma23

Blacktacoma23 If your tires don't rub you can fit bigger tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
    Sub'd
    Im going to get some in the near future.

Products Discussed in

To Top