1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Higher temp thermostat?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kenobe, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Oct 18, 2011 at 6:06 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Gents, I did a quick look and didn't see this question.

I hate how long it takes my 2009 v-6 to heat up in the winter. One option is a block heater. Another my brother mentioned: replace the thermostat with a higher-temp one. He says my engine should heat up faster with that.

I call shenanigans on the thermostat "fix" since the engine takes forever to reach a temp high enough to heat the vehicle to begin with.

Opinions? Facts? Lies?

Thanks!

2. Oct 18, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Nailed it.

The block heater is a good option.

3. Oct 18, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    Paczowski123

Paczowski123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kennesaw
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner trd off road
    OME 3" Lift, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Wincher Front Bumper w/ 5" Integrated off road lights, Kennesaw Mountain Off Road Multi Carrier Rear Bumper w/ swingout tire carrier, Jerry can, and hi-lift mount, Sof-topper rear cargo cover. Galaxy DX44V CB Radio W/ 4' FireStikII, Rock Sliders
    regardless of therm. temp the vehicle engine still heats at the same rate, just will run hotter for longer before opening the therm. this could also cause cooling issues in the summer. You could always go with something like a remote start and start it before entering it, and letting it warm up. That is if your interested in that sort of thing.

4. Oct 18, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    I think its just something we have to live with.

5. Dec 11, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Replacing the thermostat may help, but replace it with the same type.

If your current thermostat is stuck partially open, or malfunctioning so that it does not fully close, then that would cause your truck to take longer to warm up.

ETA: Zombie thread, sorry, I was looking up some information and then left the tabs open, and when I came back thought it was a current thread. Oops!

6. Dec 11, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    cstephan

cstephan Jack Of All - Master at none

Member:
    Hendersonville, Nc
    Vehicle:
    17 Taco TRDOR -DCSB- Gov. Controled Special
    Hold my BEER and WATCH THIS
    Never replace with a higher temp thermostat unless you want to be replacing heads! With aluminium heads you run a very high risk of warping. then you will be in some deep shit!

7. Dec 11, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Whats the mix ratio on the coolant? If its 50/50 that shoun't be a problem, lower radiator hose heater?

8. Dec 11, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    X2

Lower temp t-stat will just cause lower operating temp once it's warmed up. That is not a good thing on a modern engine. You want it all the way warmed up to burn off moisture in the oil. These engines cannot handle sludge in the oil system.

Edit: oops, you said higher temp. In that case, I agree with the poster above who believes you will be doing a headgasket or heads in short order. Leave the thermostat alone. Changing a thermostat isn't going to make it warm up faster. It does not produce heat, just causes it to be retained once warmed up.

9. Dec 11, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    X2

10. Dec 11, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    8BoltRacing

8BoltRacing Custom Fabrication and Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Greensburg PA
    Vehicle:
    The Angry Warthog
    DO 3 hoop, Wheelers HD Leaf Set w/ES poly bushings, OME 884X Coils, 5100's, Selfmade Satoshi, Single beam headlights, Fogs anytime, high beams with low beams mod, ABS kill switch, AMSOIL fluids in everything, K&N Intake, TB Spacer, FAL Electric Fan and TRD Rad Cap, DT Long Tubes, URD Y-pipe w/xtra O2 bungs and 3" v-band , Custom 3-inch Exhaust w/v-band and 3030XL Aero turbine muffler and Aero 3040 tip, URD Fuel Pump Upgrade, B&M Short Shifter, EBC Dimpled and Slotted Rotors with EBC Yellowstuff pads, Pulseplugs, HIDs: Fogs 3000k, Highs 4300k, Lows 8000k, URD Throwout Bearing Repair kit, Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel+Competition Clutch Stage 4
    Because of the design of the 1GR engine being aluminium block and heads, heat transfer is much better from the heads to block, making overheating less common of a problem and less severe when it does happen. A higher temp thermostat won't solve the problem of prolonged warm-up as its job is to regulate the temp at a certain level, not to create more heat. An electric fan will allow the engine to warm-up faster because the air is not constantly being pushed over the block and cooling it. The electric fan runs only when it needs to. I picked up the Flex-a-lite unit on Summit for $360. I have the fan thermostat set at about 202 degrees and have no problems with it. If the price isn't too bad and you don't mind picking a few mpg and HP+TQ, not to motion the throttle response is better as well, the electric fan is a great upgrade and will better your problem of warm-up time. I noticed a significant difference in how little it takes to warm-up even in the dead of winter here, picked up a few mpg's, and certainly feels a lil stronger running as well.

11. Dec 11, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Since other Tacomas (like mine) do not take an excessive amount of time to warm up, I do not think it is the fan. The stock fan is designed to nearly freewheel at low temps (once the fluid circulates inside the fan clutch) and to engage at higher temps.

I suspect a partially stuck open thermostat if there is a noticeable difference between the OP's truck and others.

Products Discussed in

To Top