1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Someone mildly rear-ends your Tacoma, do you pursue payment?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MrsPib, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Oct 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    MrsPib

MrsPib [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTAS, TOYOTAS EVERYWHERE
    Nooooo!!! Agh, our hitch took the most of the force as well. How was yours fixed? Frame damage goes on the record and can impact the value of the vehicle, can't it? (100% question, -10% statement).

2. Oct 19, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    TroutBum

TroutBum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 AC 4x4 Sold, 17 Sport 6MT DCSB, 2020 OR DCSB
    Leer 100R
    They had to remove the hitch and beat the frame back into shape. The frame rails had "spread" - the force of the impact pushed the frame down. Didn't notice at first, had to crawl under the truck to see what happened. It's worth looking at. It appeared so minor the cop asked if I was even going to file an insurance claim. Sure glad I did!

Mike

3. Oct 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    MountainDog

MountainDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 Double Cab Off Road
    Vinyl floor; 265/75/16 Duratracs; SnugTop Rebel
    It doesn't look too bad right now, but any little dent is going to be the first spot the bumper starts rusting. And it sounds like these chrome bumpers rust up easy anyways.

4. Oct 19, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    I wouldn't worry about rust. I don't see the chrome scraped off (unless I missed it in the pic). Same thing happened to me and it never rusted. I was thinking to let it go, I would and I did but when I saw he didn't have a license, I would get it fixed. Teach them a lesson. He doesn't have a license for a reason (assuming DUI as that's why most around here don't) and probably shouldn't be driving.

5. Oct 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Wow. I'm surprised she didn't beg you not to call insurance, and offer you a good cash settlement. Could wind up bad for her and her son if that detail gets found out. At least she's being decent about it.

6. Oct 19, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    cooktaco

cooktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11 Dbl. cab TRD 4x4
    Weahertecs, Bed met, Snugtop, Avid sliders, TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's @1.75,
    I would not tell her insurance company anything other than the truth. If you do, you have made her problem yours by lying to them. Unlikely, but you could get in trouble for insurance fraud.

I would tell her to report it to her insurance company herself. She can tell them anything she wants as long as she accepts fault. Tell her that you won't say anything about the driver unless they ask.

BTW-I would absolutely have them take care of it. I have let some of these things go in the past, but your truck is almost new and I have no sympathy when the kid doesn't have a license or insurance and is still driving like an idiot.

7. Oct 19, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    alexretama

alexretama Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    When I first started driving I did something very similar to this to a friends neighbors car. I put a nice tear in the guys bumper with my grille guard. he was kind of in the same boat as you in the sense that he didnt want to charge me for it but didnt want a messed up bumper. I ended up finding him a new bumper though a friend of a friend for dirt cheap(<$65 and the bumper was at my doorstep) and put it on for him. If you want to PM me your trucks info I can check with my buddy and see if hes got anything and you can just have the other guy reimburse you.

8. Oct 19, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    This is the "dipshit" situation I've been waiting for... wish it would've happened to me. I have been rear ended 4 times in my truck (1 was a car I was towing and I stopped too short, 3 were all high school friends that I didn't wanna stick anything on) I also jackknifed my trailer into my bumper which led to the most damage and was the only really self inflicted one. I've been waiting for someone that really deserves to have a big insurance claim to hit me and buy me a new bumper. This kid was texting without a license or insurance... Personally I think I'd peg all the damage on him (cause as soon as there's a dent in the bumper it's automatically new bumper time, not like it's costing the ins companies any more). My $.02

9. Oct 19, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    YotaMark

YotaMark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Mentor, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 speed 4X4
    Rear Gate security Mod (although I seldom take my eyes off it) "Harsh Ride" Shocks and Springs TSB performed by "Me" New Cooper Discoverer AT3s 265/75R16s (fit well) Front "Tacoma Mike" light mod! Rugged Ridge floor mats. Bought another set of D rings and installed them in my wheel well. Perfect! Just hit the big 6000 Miles 12/19/11, Installed an alarm system to go with my factory power door locks 1/21/12
    I can think of 2 times when I was bumped and "let it go" they were so-so cars. BUT if you bumped my Truck or my M/C I would be pissed.

10. Oct 19, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    MrsPib

MrsPib [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTAS, TOYOTAS EVERYWHERE
    You made me laugh so loud! The thing really did look like a moving death trap. Hahahahahaha. Oh, good one....:rofl:

11. Oct 19, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Cash settlement out of insurance.

Call it a day. Leave the bumper on there.

12. Oct 19, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    Catcrazed

Catcrazed Love is Dogs and Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    91 Flatbed, 4.88's, ARBs, SAS, 3.4 Swap, 35s, M8000, lots lights, Aux tank, Protech
    Well maybe she doesn't have the cash. I would make them fix it one way or another. But after it was fixed is work a deal where I got to tazer the kid LOL

13. Oct 19, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    neoflex

neoflex Well-Known Member

Member:
    I agree with telling her insurance nothing but the truth. No sense getting yourself in trouble for the tangled web of lies. I would also file a Police Report especially if this M'Fer was driving unlicensed and uninsured. What if it were a kid in the street and not your rear bumper he hit. Sorry but I have zero tolerance for trash bags like that!

14. Oct 19, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Get it fixed on their dime...... no second thoughts.

15. Oct 19, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    johneman

johneman Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Hi Angie...doesn't that just frost your oats when someone says "It's just a truck":rant:...I was told that and I went off on them...I would get 2 estimates and contact the kid and his parents and talk to them about the repair...It's your truck and why should you have damage(even though from the pic it's minor) when it wasn't your fault...Good Luck...Ken

16. Oct 19, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    shit that is hardly even noticeable from the pic, no one is ever gonna notice it from a distance, i say just leave it at that.

17. Oct 19, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    Bsfilter

Bsfilter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Pedro, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 4.0 AC 2WD SR5 TRD OR/RT
    File a claim immediately. Who gives a shit about their sob story. That asshole is an unlicensed, uninsured driver. Fuck him right in the neck! I hate assholes like that......

18. Oct 19, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    Catcrazed

Catcrazed Love is Dogs and Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    91 Flatbed, 4.88's, ARBs, SAS, 3.4 Swap, 35s, M8000, lots lights, Aux tank, Protech
    If her insurance doesn't cover him. And she doesn't settle for cash ur prob gunna have to sue them cause her insurnce is gunna say get lost.

19. May 17, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    tacoma.nut

tacoma.nut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beeb
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRDsport,LB,4by4
    I see it as u having 2 options and for that young kid to learn a lesson to be more careful whether it was difficult to see that evening or not. 1st...ask the kid or mom to replace the bumper as well as the piece that was ruined and license plate. (u will have to pay to get a new plate). That way no one is reported to insurance and u do the mom and kid a favor because their rates will not go up. 2nd. option. If they refuse, report it and mom and kid will learn a valuable lesson in knowing when someone is trying to help u out even tho it was their fault. I sent ur pic to my nephew (general manger body shop for a buick dealer) and he said it would cost more to attempt to repair bumper (labor) than replace it. And those step pads are not cheap. He also has heard stories like yours and eventually the client regrets not doing anything about it when the damage (however slight) starts to bug u. U sound like a decent guy, but that bumper no matter how minimal the damage should be replaced, whether u ding it or not in the future. U have to deal in the present.

20. May 17, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    I was sitting in my truck in a 7-11 parking lot and all of the sudden I felt the rear of my truck lift up. I got out and walked around back and there was the nose of a car under it. The driver stumbled out obviously drunk. He didn't speak much English but was waving two one hundred dollar bills around saying sorry. Turns out he didn't have a licence, no registration, no insurance and had stolen plates. I pulled his car away from under mine and only had a little damage to the bumper and I was really the only one who could see it because of where it was. His car looked worse (my hitch got him good). I didn't take the money. Someone called the cops and of course he went to jail. That was my first Gen tacoma that I no longer have. I did a lot more damage to it when I ran it into a dump truck...

Products Discussed in

To Top