Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Are hid,s blinding people or.....

Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
rhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Robert
rhowell's Tacoma Gallery
Are hid,s blinding people or.....

Is it that they are just not adjusted corrctley. I don't want to be a pain to other drivers so this is why I am asking. I am looking at the retrofit pairs from black flame custom lights.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Resident Fishing Expert
Maverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaverick904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kameron
Maverick904's Tacoma Gallery
wolfpack shall be here soon... I can feel it.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
if you have a pproperly aimed retrofit, you wont blind other drivers..

if you have HIDs with no retro, your reflector bowl will scatter your light and blind people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhowell View Post
Is it that they are just not adjusted corrctley. I don't want to be a pain to other drivers so this is why I am asking. I am looking at the retrofit pairs from black flame custom lights.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
just dont go get 55w hids, get 35w hids and aim them lower
Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
lowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enough
lowcel's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to lowcel
I cannot run my hid fog lights but my headlights don't seem no bother other drivers. I only get lights flashed at me when I am hauling something.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
if you have a pproperly aimed retrofit, you wont blind other drivers..

if you have HIDs with no retro, your reflector bowl will scatter your light and blind people.
This; you can't "aim" light scatter away.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
blah blah blah
inesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shedinesshell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

inesshell's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to inesshell
yes, thats why i retro'd
Old 10-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I hate hids. I really wish they were banned. They are blinding and the majority people have no clue how to aim them correctly
Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I can't stand HID's in stock reflector housings. They're obnoxiously bright and I agree with what was said above, you can't aim 'scattered' light.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bobber Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
You can aim scattered light trust me I do it
You must attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry to be able to do that
Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
An OEM reflector housing (e.g. Escalade) designed to accept D1R or D2R HID bulbs shouldn't cause excess glare. HID upgrade kit glare depends on the individual HID bulb / base design. There's no set standard because they are basically assembling the glass element from a D1R/D2R bulb onto a halogen base (H4 in case of Tacomas). Some "rebased" HID bulbs maintain the original focal point of the halogen bulb, some don't.

The 2014 Colorado will have projector headlights.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have the HID's with the shroud on the bottom of the bulb? If so, I would agree to an extent that you can aim them out of people's eyes. If you do not, then I 100% disagree. The HID kits that do not have the shroud on the bottom of the bulb are obnoxious and can not be aimed low enough so as not to blind oncoming traffic.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Do you have the HID's with the shroud on the bottom of the bulb? If so, I would agree to an extent that you can aim them out of people's eyes. If you do not, then I 100% disagree. The HID kits that do not have the shroud on the bottom of the bulb are obnoxious and can not be aimed low enough so as not to blind oncoming traffic.
Mine are aimed n I have no scattered light anywhere...I have those mentioned above with shroud at the bottom of the bulb causing only the top half of my reflector to reflect light n I have them aim low enough to where I'm behind a dropped Honda my light is at they're trunk area

Ps: just bought Fxrs for retro so i don't have any problems with people
Old 10-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #16
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
Please read:

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

It explains and illustrates the failure of 99% of the HID retrofits, including the most common mistakes and misconceptions.

There are other links to other articles on that page, I advise reading them as well.

I sold true HID retrofit kits for several years and I can easily say that 99% of the questions and misconceptions people have were answered by this article.

That is also why it is illegal to place an HID bulb into a non-HID housing. I used to have the link the the ODOT law but it stopped working quite some time ago. If someone can post it up again that would be great. Most other states have similar laws.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalboy View Post
so true.... this is why it matters where you buy ypur bulbs and kits from .. like i said i have never blinded anyone.. well ecept a small convertible in front of me with top down .. sorry about that ..
How do you know are aren't blinding anyone? Are you reading their mind?

Attention TW

We have mind readers on the forum. Don't think about anything!
Old 10-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #18
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
How do you know are aren't blinding anyone? Are you reading their mind?
When u see them aim they're rear view mirror down n or us they're bass to cover theyre side mirrors...ya I thinks that enough to know
Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
When u see them aim they're rear view mirror down n or us they're bass to cover theyre side mirrors...ya I thinks that enough to know
I don't move my mirror when a moron with horrible lights is behind me. I slow down so they get over.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #20
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i have the brightest headlight i have ever seen on anything now and so long as there in a quality projector and they are properly aimed no you will not blind people.

now if your one of those guy's who puts hid's into a reflector bowl and calls that awesome then chances are unless you have your headlight aiming towards the ground you are either glaring everyone on the borderline of being flashed by other drivers or you are straight gonna wash out their sight at night.

take a look at any halogen bulb the coting on the end the way it fits in the housing it was intended for everything about it was designed to work for the headlight it is being put into.

you cannot just swap out that bulb for something that is on average 2 to 3 times brighter and have no side effects the light will glare and scatter everywhere they look like shit.

it's my firm belief that you should keep a halogen set-up until you have the time/ money / what ever to do a proper retrofit. if you retrofit correctly you will have a great deal of light on the road ahead of you it catches every street sign and marker/ reflector and they are controlled so you don't blind other drivers.