Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spark Plugs

Old 10-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
matt86 is just really nicematt86 is just really nicematt86 is just really nicematt86 is just really nicematt86 is just really nice
Law Enforcement: Local LEO
Name: Matt
matt86's Tacoma Gallery
Spark Plugs

My taco just hit 56k miles and according to Toyota service schedules I should have an oil change and spark plugs done soon. How necessary is it that I have the spark plugs changed? Is it something that can wait?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
AZ it is a "dry heat"
supriseaztacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
supriseaztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Matt,
I was also seeing that it recommends it at 30k. To me that seems nuts. I would go ahead and change them at 56k.. Pull one out and check it out. You can buy a spark plug gauge and check it/them
Old 10-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I changed mine at 38,000. Not suren if they were ever done, and the truck does seem to run a bit better.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I changed mine just before 40k miles, the driver's side ones looked worse than the passenger ones (and apparently that's a common find). As a result it idles a little bit smoother but no other changes that I could tell. If you haven't had them changed yet, you should get it done at 60k.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
My '09 calls for a change at 30,000. I just pulled them out, at 30,600 miles. By appearances, I'm glad I pulled them out - the gap had increased a good .002" to around .045".

Just put in laser platinums or iridiums and they'll last longer next time. I put in a set of new NGKs and the truck is noticeably smoother, with better throttle response, at least initially.

Side note: my truck exhibited the same weirdness as everyone else's: NGKs on one bank and Densos on the other.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDodger View Post
My '09 calls for a change at 30,000. I just pulled them out, at 30,600 miles. By appearances, I'm glad I pulled them out - the gap had increased a good .002" to around .045".

Just put in laser platinums or iridiums and they'll last longer next time. I put in a set of new NGKs and the truck is noticeably smoother, with better throttle response, at least initially.

Side note: my truck exhibited the same weirdness as everyone else's: NGKs on one bank and Densos on the other.
Don't waste your money on platinums or iridiums, just replace them with NGK's or Denso's (I can't remember which one the dealership gave me).
Old 10-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
LEEP is on a distinguished road
Name: LEE
LEEP's Tacoma Gallery
I CHANGE PLUGS EVERY 40 THOU BOOK SAYS 30 THOU 0N 08 I USE DENSO PLUGS