Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Grill Guard with Receiver Hitch Ideas

Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
RaiderRed is on a distinguished road
RaiderRed's Tacoma Gallery
Grill Guard with Receiver Hitch Ideas

Greetings. New member with first post. I should have made the move from GM to Toyota a long time ago. I am very satisifed with my 2011 Tacoma. The fall and winter surf fishing season is upon us in south Texas, and I am surf fishermen without a rod rack.

I have searched the forums for ideas as I am wanting to install my rod basket and other 6 rod holder on the front of my vehilce. I have looked at the Warn Trans4mer, but I am wanting to go the stainless route, preferably 316 stainless over 304. Powdercoated steel is another option.

In the meantime, I will be installing a temporary rack behind the cab using the tracks inside the bed.

This is the look of what I am after (disregard the ice chests). The rack would a little shorter, and the truck will be getting a 3" leveling kit:

This was my old set up:
Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Couple major manufacturers make a front receiver. CBI makes the only one that goes behind the grill and does not lower ground clearance.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
RaiderRed is on a distinguished road
RaiderRed's Tacoma Gallery
External grill guard

Thanks for the advice, and I do like the CBI receiver hitches. I would like to go the hidden receiver route, but I will actually need three receiver hitches. I found that one tube supporting basket had too much vertical and horizontal movement so I had forked tubes fabricated eliminating all movement (pictured). A third tube would be for a 6 rod rack (up against trailer tire).

Anyone seen a grill guard with a receiver hitch? Extra tubes would be welded on afterwards. Can anyone recommend a shop that does custom grills out of aluminum or stainless? I am located in south Texas and can travel to Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio.