Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Finally found a decent SPDT switch for the dashboard

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
stretch85 has a spectacular aura aboutstretch85 has a spectacular aura about
stretch85's Tacoma Gallery
Finally found a decent SPDT switch for the dashboard

A while ago, I came across Crom's awesome 09 Anytime-On Rear View Camera with Switch on Dash mod and was excited to give it a shot. But I wanted to mount the switch in place of one of the blanks in the dash to the left of the steering column. It took me more time and money than I liked, but I'm happy to say I finally found a near-perfect switch for the job.

This is my story...

Switch #1: OTRATTW V-Seires Contura II

Finally found a decent SPDT switch for the dashboard-otrattw.jpg

I had read a number of posts and here and elsewhere suggesting this switch. Unfortunately, it requires a good deal of dremmeling to fit in an open slot, and I was just a little too nervous about it, especially since this is my first ever electrical work on a vehicle.

Switch #2: Oznium GSW-45 Rocker Switch (Scion OEM style)

Finally found a decent SPDT switch for the dashboard-scion_switch.jpg

This switch fit well, but my dumb ass neglected to realize when I bought it that it was a lighted SPST (single pole, single throw) switch, not an SPDT (single pole, double throw). Derp. On with my search...

Switch #3: Digi-Key 480-2154-ND

Finally found a decent SPDT switch for the dashboard-480-2154-nd.jpg

After days of careful research and calculations, I ordered another switch that doesn't fit. Actually, this one has the same body size at the OTRATTW switch. The button and face of the switch also stick out a little further than necessary.

Switch #4: Digi-Key WR13ATN-ND

Finally found a decent SPDT switch for the dashboard-wr13atn-nd.jpg

Finally, I found my near-perfect switch. Digi-Key offers several variations of this switch; I opted for the screw terminals on the back because I had already terminated my wiring that way, but the switch is also available with quick disconnects (check the data sheet for the correct part number). For reference, the panel cutout dimensions listed for this switch are 34.20mm x 17.20mm. It sits loosely in the socket out of the box, but wrapping it with a couple layers of electrical tape gives it a nice firm seating (and it's still easy to push back out from behind should you need to remove it).

Here it is installed in my Tacoma, with a near-OEM look:

Finally found a decent SPDT switch for the dashboard-my_wr13atn-nd.jpg
Old 10-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Nice find.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
tacoapw is on a distinguished road
EMS:
tacoapw's Tacoma Gallery
I put the oznium one in a bit ago, took a little bit of trimming with a dremel but it fits snug and looks stock
Old 12-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #6
INSTAGRAM: sytfu510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using these:

http://www.amazon.com/Daystar-KU8001...2772873&sr=8-1

Have to trim a little bit for them to fit.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
three west is on a distinguished road
Name: JD
three west's Tacoma Gallery
I see this is an old thread, but for anybody viewing it later, switch #1 really doesn't require that much modding to make it fit. I did it in two minutes or less with a file.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
stretch85 has a spectacular aura aboutstretch85 has a spectacular aura about
stretch85's Tacoma Gallery
It's on-off-on. I wired the top "on" position to the normal camera condition (only on when in reverse) and the bottom "on" position to constant on. The middle "off" position is constant off.

Products Discussed in this Thread