1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hail storm yesterday

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sunruner19, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Jun 21, 2007 at 4:12 AM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 [OP] Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    About 5 p.m., just before quiting time at the Toyota Dealership where I work, the skies got real dark. Few minutes later, the biggest downpour I have ever seen in my life, with such high winds, that it was raining sideways and then the dreaded hail stones. You couldnt hear anyone talking above the noise of the stones hitting the roof of the building and some of us thought a twister was about to visit us. This lasted about 15 minutes, died down for a few and then came on again with more force than before. When it was finally over, and we were able to get outside, most of the car alarms were going off, and we knew there was some serious damage to all the new cars and trucks including my new truck.

The Toyotas all suffered hail damage, but not as bad as the used cars, particulary, the Jeeps and Fords which suffered major damage to the sheet metal. (thinner sheet metal?)
    Insurance estimates put the damage at over 2 million, not including damage to the building.
    No clue as to how much damage costs are on my truck just yet, but if you flip the coin, we were all damn lucky no one got hurt.

2. Jun 21, 2007 at 4:35 AM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    wow that's insane! thankfully no one got hurt, but man that's a lot of damage. was this some freak weather occurrance?

3. Jun 21, 2007 at 5:41 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Just last week the same thing happened at my house. The hail was the size of large marbles. I just sat there thinking how pissed i was gonna be if my truck was dented up. fortunately there was no damage. How do you fix a fleet of vehicles with hail damage? do you actually knock out all the dings or just replace the damaged sheet metal? I assume you just knock out the dents unless they are bad enough for the paint to chip when you do that. Glad nobody was hurt

4. Jun 21, 2007 at 7:06 AM
    LovinMyTaco07

LovinMyTaco07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost every year here in St. Louis, MO there are hail damage liquidations at the Car dealerships because a of a hail storm that damaged a new vehicle... I don't know if it is an excuse to get the public into the dealership and buy cars or if the dealership's insurance has a clause that is beneficial to both the insurance company and the dealership to sell those vehicles at a discounted price to the public without fixing them...

5. Jun 21, 2007 at 7:23 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    That is crazy! Sorry to hear about your truck.

My wife got into a wreck and the insurance company wouldn't total the car. The next week, it was sitting at the body shop about to be repaired when a hail storm finished the job. $25,000 to a $19,000 Honda Accord.

Hail damage can be very difficult to repair. It is easier to ignore (unless it is glass).

6. Jun 21, 2007 at 7:59 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Thats pretty interesting, i wonder if it is just easier to collect the insurence check and then sell the damaged cars?

7. Jun 21, 2007 at 7:21 PM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 [OP] Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    We took another hit again today, second hail storm to come our way. Is this a freak thing?
    This time we had some warning, and filled up the showroom, plus the service area with new cars and trucks that arrived in the morning. I managed to get my truck in also.
    Dent Wizzard sent in crews from as far away as Georgia to repair our cars and cars from other dealerships in the area. They worked thruout the night and many more nights to come.

Hopefully, I will try and get pics of all this and post it later.

This was todays weather report:
    A strong cold front will move quickly across NY State and Western New England by tonight.

With this front and ahead of it we have what meteorologists call "favorable" ingredients for severe weather- strong jetstreams in the low and upper levels of the atmosphere and air that is warm and moist enough to make it unstable.

This unstable air will rise upwards during this afternoon aided by the strong jetstreams and approaching cold front, resulting in scattered showers and storms. Storms today will probably be severe with large hail and damaging winds the main threat.

The wet weather will end early tonight followed by drier and more settled conditions overnight through tomorrow morning.

Another weak colder front moves through tomorrow afternoon and it could cause another round of scattered afternoon showers/storms.

The weekend will be okay but cool, especially on Saturday. Sunday may see some more scattered afternoon convection but not a washout. more...[​IMG]Sincerely,
    Meteorologist Andy Gregorio

8. Jun 22, 2007 at 10:59 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Damn man that is some crazy stuff, it got real dark by me in Jersey but we never got any rain or hail.

9. Jun 22, 2007 at 5:51 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    Whoa that's insane!!!!! sorry to hear that but atleast you and your family are doing ok

10. Jun 22, 2007 at 9:30 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    I left my truck inside my garage all week. I drove the wifes car around. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top