1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sandblasting rear chrome bumper?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomalex, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Oct 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    tacomalex

tacomalex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    So.. I have this thing where I hate chrome. I already ordered a base grill I'm going to color match, I'm taking off my badges, but it still leaves me with that big chrome bumper in the rear. :annoyed:

There's a sandblasting/powdercoat shop a few miles from me, and I was thinking about taking it in and asking about a price to sandblast it, but that gets me to my question. Will it get all the chrome off? Or at least get it to where I could paint it and it will hold up pretty well? :confused:

I just really don't know much about getting rid of chrome plating so help me out.

2. Oct 24, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    monster38

monster38 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Shouldn't be too difficult to prep the chrome bumper for paint, many have done it. Might be an easier way though... maybe there is someone with a painted bumper who will trade with you?

3. Oct 24, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
  4. Oct 25, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Yes, sandblasting takes off almost everything. Have a guy i know through business do mine. $80 for blasting and powdercoating. Its about $50 in powder. Want to get my rims done too, dont have the time. Wanted $200 for rims coated black.

I have a place called ublast close to me. $50 a hour to sandblast yourself. Should only take 15-20 min if using glass beads. Dont use plasticderp or something like that, it wont last.

5. Oct 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    DIY. Just remove the bumper. Take some sand paper to it. You don't need to remove all the chrome, just enough sanding to create a rough surface. Use some mineral spirits to wipe the bumper clean before paint. Prime it with automotive primer, dry then 2nd coat of prime. Get whatever color you are going to paint with, I assume you want black, so pick glossy or flat. Paint 3 light coats to give it an even finish. If you want you can do a clear coat as well to protect your paint from chipping. Shouldn't take more than 12hrs to do correctly. 12 because of dry times.

Products Discussed in

To Top