Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Scratched Fender Flares

Old 10-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Toyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shoghi
Toyoghi's Tacoma Gallery
What would you do?

Hey guys,

Just hoping for some opinions. I got my Brand new 2011 tacoma on Saturday, and unfortunately I am a little OCD about scratches and things, especially if I haven't put them on myself. This is part of the reason I opted for a new truck, not a used one. Anyways, I brought it home and felt like I got punched in the stomach when I notice that one of the fender flares (black ones, because it's a base model) has a huge scrape on it like it's been rubbed against concrete. So, Toyota will be fixing that one. But now my questions is the other ones have small scratches/imperfections in the plastic. Should I try and go after them to replace them all?? I don't know if they will because they are like 500 each.

What do you guys think?

Just annoys me, because I buy a brand new car hoping it's absolutely mint, and I have already had to deal with the rail dust, and this.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
It's going to happen . Keep your favorite wet on them . Or line-x them .
Old 10-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoghi View Post
Hey guys,

Just hoping for some opinions. I got my Brand new 2011 tacoma on Saturday, and unfortunately I am a little OCD about scratches and things, especially if I haven't put them on myself. This is part of the reason I opted for a new truck, not a used one. Anyways, I brought it home and felt like I got punched in the stomach when I notice that one of the fender flares (black ones, because it's a base model) has a huge scrape on it like it's been rubbed against concrete. So, Toyota will be fixing that one. But now my questions is the other ones have small scratches/imperfections in the plastic. Should I try and go after them to replace them all?? I don't know if they will because they are like 500 each.

What do you guys think?

Just annoys me, because I buy a brand new car hoping it's absolutely mint, and I have already had to deal with the rail dust, and this.
Can you take pics of what you are talking about?

Have you done a full detail on the truck since you've had it home? A lot of could be easily fixed with a good hand wash and some product.

Take some pics of it so we can get a better idea of what you are seeing.

Fink
Old 10-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Toyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Toyoghi's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not really a fan of them when they are line-x, I love how they look now

The dealer definitely scratched them, I didn't notice until I got home because it was pouring rain when I picked up the truck and the plastic was wet

I'll post the pics I have as soon as I get home from work. But basically the really bad one, that I am getting replaced is a big scrape. But the others are smaller, they can only really be seen on an angle and when you run your finger over them they don't seem scratched into the plastic. Just more like marks in the fender flare.

Thanks again for the responses! I really appreciate the opinions.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Toyoghi's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and I haven't detailed it, it was suppose to be detailed when I picked it up. I didn't think I'd need to detail it an hour after I picked it up.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh and I haven't detailed it, it was suppose to be detailed when I picked it up. I didn't think I'd need to detail it an hour after I picked it up.
The operative word there is "suppose".

Fink
Old 10-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Toyoghi's Tacoma Gallery
Very very true

I saved for 6 years for this truck, so I just want it to be perfect.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Very very true

I saved for 6 years for this truck, so I just want it to be perfect.
I'm the same way dude. I found a few things on my truck after I got it home, but they weren't anything big.

In the end, there will always be something.

After we see the pics we'll probably be able to give you some better advice.

Fink
Old 10-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
What color is your truck. If a light color you can paint them. Light colors hide small scratches well. On my 10' silver flares you can't see anything wrong, on my 11' non painted flares there are already a few scratches . try the plastic protectant .
Old 10-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Also think twice about replacing them all . Alot of times plastic pieces like that never fit the same . So you may have a set of scratch free flares but could get some gaps .
Old 10-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Toyoghi's Tacoma Gallery
That's very true, I'll just have to get over it, but I'll post the pics for you to see.

My truck is silver, but It has the black unpainted fender flares.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
Toyoghi's Tacoma Gallery
Oh really? Maybe I won't replace them then. I was worried about that, because a lot of the time it's never like out of the factory.

Thanks for that!!
Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I'm just saying it could happen . When I took off my front bumper to plan out my build of my tube bumper it never went back on quite the same . And actually from me flexing my truck my right front flare has now gapped a bit on the front .
Old 10-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
kidrobot7 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Adam
kidrobot7's Tacoma Gallery
I saw a thread somewhere about recoloring some faded fender flares but it was darkened them up and that was it. if you flares are black you could give it a try but first I would recommend just detailing it and throwing some serious wax on it and it should be fine
Old 10-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't put wax on the flares they would turn white . Try protectant .
Old 10-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #16
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
I wouldn't put wax on the flares they would turn white . Try protectant .
This.

Fink
Old 10-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
Toyoghi's Tacoma Gallery
Oh really? That's good to know!

Yeah I have been reading threads about them all morning in fear of double posting!!!

What kind of protectant do you suggest? I don't want to risk messing them up or discolouring them!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #18
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I use black magic . There's others like mothers. Etc .
Old 10-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Toyoghi's Tacoma Gallery
How long does it last?

I had a look at the pictures I have and the scratches really aren't noticeable in the pictures. I'm gonna have to get it in the sunlight and take pics so you can see.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #20
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I put the shine protectant every other wash . Just shines it up and helps hide the marks .