LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Locking Differential on TRD

Old 10-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
slidellkid is on a distinguished road
slidellkid's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Locking Differential on TRD

I have a simple question: If I order a TRD package in two wheel drive or buy a used one, will it automatically come with the rear locking differential or is that an additional option that someone would have to purchase? Do only the TRDs come with the Locking Diff?

I don't normally travel into really bad areas. That being said I have been stuck in my two wheel drive Ford. How much better is 4x4 than rear locking diff? I mostly just want to get back on some muddy roads - don't want to go swamp boggin or anything.

Thanks..
Old 10-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Only the TRD OR comes with the locking diff and it always comes with it.

4wd > locked 2wd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMLHtApOCwc
Old 10-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Fitz
kjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kjf216's Tacoma Gallery
depends how you drive but i can get my truck down most moderate to light trails. but i don't try to push the limits of the truck it is only 2wd lol. but that being said locker is a must have for a 2wd got me out of a weird spot the other night
Old 10-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Off Road - "automatically comes with the rear locking differential"
TRD Sport - Rear locking differential not available
Old 10-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
slidellkid is on a distinguished road
slidellkid's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
That was easy! lol
Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
Any idea how my prerunner with snow tires (non studded) and a locking rear diff will do if i get stuck in some snow. Lets say 6 inches.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by captclueless View Post
Any idea how my prerunner with snow tires (non studded) and a locking rear diff will do if i get stuck in some snow. Lets say 6 inches.
Poorly. 4wd is made for a reason, and snow is a place where 2wd, especially combined with rear wheel drive, are pretty useless.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBoothius View Post
Poorly. 4wd is made for a reason, and snow is a place where 2wd, especially combined with rear wheel drive, are pretty useless.
which is funny, cause my coworker drives his bmw which is rwd, with blizzaks on it, only in the winter, and he gets around fine. I realize a truck is a different beast, but I am a careful driver in the first place. We dont get too much snow at once anyway, usually alot of snowstorms, but only a few inches at a time. like 2-3 inches.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed757southpaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
757southpaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers View Post
it blows my mind to see someone stuck in sand, that just doesnt happen where i'm from. lol.
Happens all the time in North Carolina...mostly from newbs I should add
Old 10-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #12
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it blows my mind to see someone stuck in sand, that just doesnt happen where i'm from. lol.
Are you saying there is no sand where you're from... or
Are you saying that nobody gets stuck in your sand?

Sand varies in drivability all over, and even the same place's sand can be harder to drive on depending on weather (dry/ wet/ humid/ hot/ cold)
Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #13
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lol what kinda said do you have where your from? Gravel?

Come to glamis cali and you will get stuck. Unless you stay on flat ground
Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
likeoof808 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Civil Engineer
Name: rex
likeoof808's Tacoma Gallery
mobettah safe den sorry(FAKA I SHUDA GOT A 4x4)... i just hate the hassle of getting stuck! got stuck a bunch of time in my titan.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #15

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeoof808 View Post
mobettah safe den sorry(FAKA I SHUDA GOT A 4x4)... i just hate the hassle of getting stuck! got stuck a bunch of time in my titan.
Wow, you speak excellent Hawaiian bra' !
Old 10-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #16
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
sand here in the desert aroudn phoenix, you can and will get stuck

as for snow the reason our trucks dont do so well in rwd is because of the lack of weight over the rear axle.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #17
likeoof808 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Civil Engineer
Name: rex
likeoof808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Wow, you speak excellent Hawaiian bra' !

cuz das da how. 4x4 or lose plenty money. chee!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2
Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #19

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeoof808 View Post
cuz das da how. 4x4 or lose plenty money. chee!
Think I will go pour me a glass of POG* juice! Mahalo and aloha...

(* pineapple, orange, guava)
Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #20
Cybertronian Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
sand here in the desert aroudn phoenix, you can and will get stuck

as for snow the reason our trucks dont do so well in rwd is because of the lack of weight over the rear axle.
yeah, I plan on putting sand bags in the back.

Products Discussed in this Thread