Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Frame Rust on a 2nd Gen??

Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
bgsmith will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
bgsmith's Tacoma Gallery
Frame Rust on a 2nd Gen??

OK, so I know that the 1st gens have had some issues with rust, but I recently bought a 2006 and it has been bothering me that there is some surface rust on certain undercarriage components. Doesn't look to be anything serious but I don't want it to turn into anything serious. Recently put wheel spacers on and took a closer look at the rust and it doesn't seem too bad, similar to surface rust that I have often seen on tow hitches.

My truck also came with some Westin running boards that were pretty rusty, I removed them.

Do I have anything to worry about, my truck is certified pre-pwned and I doubt a dealership would certify a truck that has rust issues, just figured I would ask
Old 10-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Every car in the north east will rust.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
bgsmith will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
bgsmith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
Every car in the north east will rust.
Yeah like I said I an just being paranoid, going to try and clean most of it up this weekend if I get the chance.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Best way to get some opinions is to post some pictures... "Some Rust" has a different meaning to everyone. One thing that comforts me as a Toyota owner, is the fact that they have owned up to the fact that there have been problems in the past and they compensate owners when there is an issue. Which leaves me not worrying about it...
Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
"my truck is certified pre-pwned" lololol
Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension rust and frame rust are very different things. Parts like control arms, leafs and U-bolt plates can be replaced. Frame rust is harder to repair.

1st gen frame, made by Dana, is boxed, which can trap moisture inside and rust. 2nd gen frame, made by Hino, is for the most part two C-channels riveted together.

The front mudflaps, despite their ugliness, are surprisingly effective at preventing rust on the rocker panels.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
MYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant futureMYSUV has a brilliant future
MYSUV's Tacoma Gallery
My '05 is getting thin in the rear

I live in Vermont so road salt bath daily for many months of the year. My '05 has been hot oil treated a couple of times, but the frame is still rusty, rusty, rusty. I know things in this neck of the woods rust, but I've driven other brands for years in the same conditions and never worried. Toyota has issues--it's not just normal rust from road conditions.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
speeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura aboutspeeddemon2588 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Andres
speeddemon2588's Tacoma Gallery
Bought my truck "Certified pre owned" and it had enough rust for me to freak out. Then again I am from the southwest, where things don't rust they melt. So post some pics. Odds are you will spend a weekend or two getting familiar with a wire wheel, and your choice of rust coating. From what I understand rust is something we have to get used too, with all the salt on the roads. I believe a certified taco comes with a 15 yr frame warranty. I'd have to go track down my warranty paperwork. You can always have it inspected at the stealership, but they will most likely do nothing.

Search the forum, lots of useful info. Here are two to start you off.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...corrosion.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...h-club-11.html