1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VIrginia Inspections

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by UZYURHD, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Oct 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    UZYURHD

UZYURHD [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    11 Sr5 sport angel eyes and exhaust
    Blue led strobes in front frille straight pipe exhaust y pipe back hid hi/lo and fogs angel eyes
    i have this problem with toyota dealership failing my tacoma. can anyone share if they have same problems passing?

they are failing my truck for exhaust because it exits behind cab with turn down and after market headlights even tho they are clearly stamped with dot approval code on the lense.

also they have failed it because of my hids in high beams because they didnt turn on immediatley due to cold weather

2. Oct 28, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    This state sucks with there stupid inspections on vehicles that have absolutely wrong with them, take it somewhere else for inspection. My 05' has 52K on it and it has been inspected 5 or 6 times since I bought it new, really? What the F do they think they are possibly gonna find wrong, stupid Virginians.

3. Oct 28, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    yeah, i despise VA inspections. i have to take a good half hour removing crap from my truck once a year to pass inspection.

aftermarket HIDs, though not inforced frequently day to day, are illegal. some places care, some don't.

as for the exhaust, do you have a picture of what you have?

my exhaust has a turn down right after the muffler. it doesn't even go over the axle. it just exits under the bed. however it is behind the cab.

the law states that the exhaust must terminate to the rear or side of any passenger compartment, but that a pickup truck bed is not considdered a passenger compartment unless ther is a cap on it. (that's the very short summary of that section).
    took my a couple tries, but i finally found an inspection place that understood what that meant. i brought a printout of the law the first time, but haven't needed it ever since (i only go to that place).

not sure exactly what your exhaust looks like, but from what i can tell, that's the law you're having an issue with. the problem is, most inspectors just want to see it exit the hehicle period, and haven't read that in depth. it was astonishing how many places i brought it that first time and showed them the word for word printout only to hear, "oh, hadn't read that before". guy i take the truck to now was the only one who had said he had read it preveously.

4. Oct 29, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    UZYURHD

UZYURHD [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    11 Sr5 sport angel eyes and exhaust
    Blue led strobes in front frille straight pipe exhaust y pipe back hid hi/lo and fogs angel eyes
    It took me 3 try's today to get them to finally pass the truck. I had to extend my exhaust because it was right at the edge of passenger compartment. And they failed it because I had yellow hid fogs but the said they were green and illegal. So I put stock bulbs in so I could pass but bids are now back in. Va inspectors suck ass..... Unless ur a state cop they are willin to work with you a little more as I found out today.

I will post more pics of truck and mods once weather let's up.
    Thanks for the help now I kno I'm not the only guy they dick around

5. Oct 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    Ralph Pootawn

Ralph Pootawn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairfax, Va
    Vehicle:
    '11 Timberland Mica TRD Off-Road
    N/A
    It's called a Safety inspection. There are so many bullshit cars out on the roads these days, with bald tires, smoke coming out of exhaust, cracked windshields, dipshits who install BMW style lights, etc. If you don't like it, move to another state or stop turning a nice truck into an ugly POS.

6. Oct 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    I'm from PA, the other commonwealth. My truck gets a va inspection. I spent an entire day this year redoing so much shit for their gay ass inspections. F va.

7. Oct 29, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I've never had an issue with state inspections, MA, SC, GA, FL, NY and Va (for the last 25 years) Even my 35% front tint passed. Mostly because I haven't altered too many things.

The other morning the elderly lady at 7-Eleven was standing outside at 6:00 taking a break ... as I walked by she said, "You don't need sunglasses driving that." I was thinking because it was 6:00 ... I then realized she was talking about my 35% tint (50% is max on front windows in VA).

As I came back out she continued, "As long as you don't play the fool you'll be okay."

That's funny shit.

I guess, that if you flaunt the fact that you are "bending" the law, it will bite you in the ass.

8. Oct 29, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    No, its pretty much because virginia sucks smelly hooker ass. I hated that place when I was there and would rather smash my own testicals with a claw hammer than ever go back!!!

9. Oct 29, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    Noslow100

Noslow100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4
    Toytec 3 Inch lift kit with Bilstein 5100's, and more
    Thats a little extreme but I understand. I have lived here all my life and for the most part the state /commonwealth just does not get it. With the economy getting worse the shops, dealerships, and garages doing the inspections are getting alot more anal about the inspections. any opportunity they see to make an extra dollar they will pounce. Its borderline robbery. Same goes for the registration fees.

10. Oct 29, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    fjrmurph

fjrmurph Well-Known Member

Member:
    No, its pretty much because virginia sucks smelly hooker ass. I hated that place when I was there and would rather smash my own testicals with a claw hammer than ever go back!!!

LOL
    Don't be shy tell us how ya really feel !!! They gave up inspections here in my province about five years ago, i'm surprised i thought i would see a lot more junk on the road but its not that bad. The garage owners here fought hard to keep the yearly inspections because it was a big part of their income. Some of them really milked it, if a lady brought a car in they always found something wrong. The what ya ma call it fell the giggling pin and its going to cost $500.00 to get your car back. I'm glad to see it gone.

11. Oct 29, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    tacoman355

tacoman355 WORD!?!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Hampton,VA
    Vehicle:
    03 Reg Cab Taco
    sold....
    no complaints here. pull in, put $25 in the seat, wait ten minutes and im on my way :D

12. Oct 29, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    i put a pic of my balls on the seat...werks every time.

13. Oct 29, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    tacoman355

tacoman355 WORD!?!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Hampton,VA
    Vehicle:
    03 Reg Cab Taco
    sold....
    ;)

14. Oct 29, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    Hughesc99

Hughesc99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Derby, KS
    Virginia inspections do suck. So does their property tax every year you had to pay before you got a county sticker. Although, when I had my lowered WRX with open 3" exhaust with illegal tint, I never had a problem getting a clean inspection sticker. This may or may not have anything to do with knowing the right people.

15. Oct 29, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    :popcorn:

va blows goat balls

16. Oct 29, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    X292848894128375-987

17. Oct 29, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    WV150

WV150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Trifecta Tonneau Cover
    Makes me glad I live in SC. No state inspections at all.I just hope there is not a lot of unsafe cars running around.

18. Oct 29, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    Go somewhere else.
    Also, look at vadriven.com and search for inspection. Just don't make a thread asking about lenient inspectors.

19. Oct 29, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I think that someone beat me to the punch but it is good enough to ask again .......

Tell us how you really feel?

I'm guessing that you were most likely that fool that the woman at 7-Eleven was talking about .... :cool:

20. Oct 30, 2011 at 2:59 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    No, there just wasnt much I enjoyed about being in VA. I hate it every time I have to go there for work now as well. There is a lot I dont like. I am not going to get into reasons as I really dont want to start a VA/Extremach1 bashing thread. I was just expressing my dislike of VA and its way of doing things.

Products Discussed in

To Top