Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Issue after pulling boat in 4x4

Old 11-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Major is on a distinguished road

Army: Major, 1st Infantry Division
Major's Tacoma Gallery
Issue after pulling boat in 4x4

I have an 09 V6 TRD 4X4 and I was launching my boat the other day and the lake level was up. I missed the ramp a bit and dropped off the ramp edge. In order to get the boat out, I had to lock the trck in 4X4 and gas it a little hard. I probably should have put it in low range, but didn't and it never spun a tire getting the boat out. Since then, the truck drives differently? Before, the steering was light feeling and seemed to have a bit of play in the center steer position. I had it checked at the dealership right after I bought it and they performed an alignment and said it was normal operation. Since pulling the boat out in 4X4, it no longer has thiat light steering feeling, in fact it feels much heavier and does not have the play in the center steer position. These two things should not be related as they are different systems; however, there is a very noticable difference in how the truck drives now? I have checked to see that it is not stuck in 4X4 and it is not. I even took it to the dealer and they again said, no issues, operating as it is supposed to. I have noticed that the front transaxel shafts do turn in 4X2 and this may have been the case before as I never checked it previously. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 11-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
jrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the roughjrws6 is a jewel in the rough

Army: 101st Airborne
Name: Jason
jrws6's Tacoma Gallery
I cant beleive that any thing you done damaged your trucks 4wd or its handling unless you hit a HUGE hole or Rock with a suspension part or something. I highly doubt anything is wrong, The driveshaft will always turn, even in 4x2, so that you can engage your hubs with the electronic switch, and BINGO you have 4wd.

Are you sure you are not just paranoid.
I can see how it would be worrying, being a new truck and all.
Hope this helps,
Old 11-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Major is on a distinguished road

Army: Major, 1st Infantry Division
Major's Tacoma Gallery
I may be just imagining this but I swear it now feels differently when driving. Not to say it is different in a bad way, it really drives better than before; however, different has been my cause for concern. Since the dealer has said they can find no issues, I suppose I will simply keep driving and see what happens. Tx
Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
it may be a long shot, but maybe grease your drive shafts and see if that helps any. i dont really see how what you did could affect anything man.