Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Overhead Compass/Temp Fix

Old 11-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #21
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymar00n View Post
Possibly. Toyota tends to 'max-wire', which means they use the same wiring in all trucks regarless of the options.
Take the console you have down and see if you have 2 harnesses in the liner. 1 will be for the lights and the other for the temp/compass...
Good luck
I have both harnesses. Took my console down yesterday to get a look at wiring the map lights as courtesy lights.

I have something else that I may use this wiring for...
Old 11-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #22
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
I'm surprised this thread has gotten the traction it has.
Then again, after seeing the soldering 1st hand... not so much
Old 11-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #23
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Just got don e soldering the 510s...

IT WORKS!!!!

TOYOTA AINT GETTIN $900 FROM ME!!!
MUHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 11-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #24
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh and just incase any of you didn't already know, you might want to make sure the compass is set to your geographical location. If you hold down the button, "VAR" will pop up on the LCD with a number before it. There is a numbered map in the owners manual that tells you which number you should use. Mine was set wrong, i'm not sure if it was like this before or if it reset since it broke and was re-soldered.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #25
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
Oh and just incase any of you didn't already know, you might want to make sure the compass is set to your geographical location. If you hold down the button, "VAR" will pop up on the LCD with a number before it. There is a numbered map in the owners manual that tells you which number you should use. Mine was set wrong, i'm not sure if it was like this before or if it reset since it broke and was re-soldered.
Really, wow... I didn't realize a compass needed "configuration"...
Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #26
╒╪╕

Smart ass

I never knew they had to be calibrated until I got a radar detector a few months ago and read the directions
Old 11-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #27
Sideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really nice

Sideways's Tacoma Gallery
07 Tacoma, you will also need the sensor that mounts on the center support under the hood latch.
Make sure the wiring harness is there as well.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:13 PM   #28
05TRDTACO is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
05TRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Best fix ever! Did it about 6 months ago haven't had a problem since and it's seen some really hot days and also some really cold ones! Great write up!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #29
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Great find!!! Sometimes production soldering can hold up just fine. Unfortunately, if it's crap, then after extreme conditions, i.e. heat, too much electrical current, etc; the soldering breaks down and strange problems like this come up. One of the first things to do when suspecting a PCB has a problem is to inspect the soldering. Cloudy or pitted can usually equal crap. Nice and shiny solder joints is what you want to see.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #30
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
what if you kinda got solder under the 510 chip
Old 11-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #31
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Did you test it and it still didn't work?
Old 11-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #32
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
i tested it and it does work but it shows up 14 degrees warmer than it is outside
Old 11-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #33
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
like i didnt press the 510 chip down while i was soldering.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #34
misc's Tacoma Gallery
That's a 1st...
Old 11-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #35
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
i might have to do it again how do you remove flux
Old 11-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #36
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
So what happens to the Tacoma's with the overhead display. From what I gather you guys are saying that they all of a sudden stop working??? Is this a certain year, and if so isnt this covered under warranty?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #37
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
yes i have a 2006, and the overhead console display will eventually go out, and no its from 2005-2009 Toyota Tacoma. Its cheaper to do it yourself, bc from what i heard its $600.00 to replace the overhead console. Whereas its $20 (for me anyway, Solsering iron at homedepot). the link is on my thread
Old 11-23-2008, 02:29 PM   #38
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
So this isnt covered under warranty? It probably breaks one week after the warranty runs out. Hey has anyone thought of changing the display. I can never read that display in the daylight. I have to torque my head and bend down to be able to read it. I am thinking about roughing up the surface with some sandpaper, but I wont! The dim red display and shiny surface is impossible to read with any sunlight.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #39
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
i might have to do it again how do you remove flux
Try heating it up again? I'm throwing darts now...
Old 11-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #40
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
So this isnt covered under warranty? It probably breaks one week after the warranty runs out. Hey has anyone thought of changing the display. I can never read that display in the daylight. I have to torque my head and bend down to be able to read it. I am thinking about roughing up the surface with some sandpaper, but I wont! The dim red display and shiny surface is impossible to read with any sunlight.
i might be but im not certain, um yeah like a red or a blue? that would be awesome. i gaurantee you you will found something like that somewhere.