Notices

Overhead Compass/Temp Fix

Old 04-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #1421
jdscott is on a distinguished road

Name: Derek
jdscott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZ5 View Post
Got in my 07' this morning & found mine not working. I knew just where to find the fix, as always if there's a Tacoma issue, someone on TW knows how to fix it! I will be doing this tomorow. Thanks guys!
Exactly. Couldn't ask for better help than TW.

Just bought an '07 a couple of weeks ago and it was already out. It was on my small list of things I was willing to accept because I got such a good deal. Glad to find a FREE fix!

Also, I am terrible at soldering. My solder job looked hideous. I was sure I screwed up the whole thing, but somehow it worked.

I also updated the "region." Mine was set to the wrong number for my area. Calibration appears to be ok, but I'm going to check it over the next few days. Temp just reminded me how dang cold it is here right now.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #1422
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Mine just went out in my 2008 today Glad I found this thread, already have the tools, but the pictures in the OP aren't there. Any pictures elsewhere in this thread?

Edit: Nevermind, found some 2 pages back So you just have to resolder the 510 resistors or replace them?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #1423
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
Mine just went out in my 2008 today Glad I found this thread, already have the tools, but the pictures in the OP aren't there. Any pictures elsewhere in this thread?

Edit: Nevermind, found some 2 pages back So you just have to resolder the 510 resistors or replace them?
Re-solder the 510 resistors, both sides, both resistors.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #1424
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45longcolt View Post
Re-solder the 510 resistors, both sides, both resistors.
Word. Didn't know if y'all were just resoldering the existing resistors or replacing them. Thanks! Now I have a new project next weekend, resolder them and paint the console while it's out!
Old 04-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #1425
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
Word. Didn't know if y'all were just resoldering the existing resistors or replacing them. Thanks! Now I have a new project next weekend, resolder them and paint the console while it's out!
resoldered mine about a year ago when they went out. worked fine till a few weeks ago. ended up just replacing them with some 1/2watt 40 something ohm ones and it works great now.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #1426
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Mine wasn't loose. It was rattling around in the housing.
Resoldered and burnt the truck the to ground.
Job well done.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #1427
Siliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant future
Navy: Nuke
Name: Greg
Siliconmethod's Tacoma Gallery
A reminder to the folks about to resolder their boards:

1.) make sure the solder doesn't bridge, especially to the through-hole next to one of the resistors. (the small, round copper areas). This is a board-destroying short.

2.) I strongly recommend you follow the DIY guide here. If you don't, your repair is going to fail again at some point in the not-so-distant future.

3.) solder quickly! Heat from your gun / iron may be destroying components nearby. Press the clean, tinned iron to the junction of the board and resistor and immediately feed solder. You should get a nice shiny fill.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #1428

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siliconmethod View Post
A reminder to the folks about to resolder their boards:

1.) make sure the solder doesn't bridge, especially to the through-hole next to one of the resistors. (the small, round copper areas). This is a board-destroying short.

2.) I strongly recommend you follow the DIY guide here. If you don't, your repair is going to fail again at some point in the not-so-distant future.

3.) solder quickly! Heat from your gun / iron may be destroying components nearby. Press the clean, tinned iron to the junction of the board and resistor and immediately feed solder. You should get a nice shiny fill.
So when you solder, do you put the flux at the soldering point first and then bring the iron to it or vice versa? On the few jobs I've done I always seem to get the flux stuck on the iron. Do I just need to dampen the iron a little more?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #1429
Siliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant futureSiliconmethod has a brilliant future
Navy: Nuke
Name: Greg
Siliconmethod's Tacoma Gallery
Fiend, are you using flux paste (like the stuff for plumbing) or a light liquid? If you are using 'electronics' type solder, it will have a flux core that almost always does the job fine. If not, use a light liquid flux that dispenses from a pen.

It sounds like you are using a paste...I don't recommend that for this kind of work.

As for the iron, it should be 'wetted' with a clean, shiny layer of fresh solder. Get an old *cotton* tshirt and moisten it with water to clean the tip (a sponge works fine too)
Old 04-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #1430
weazel213 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Damage controlmen
Name: Ken
weazel213's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for this post, It takes about 20 mins. Mine was out about six months. Now I have this light on with the temp and dir lol. Very easy . Yes those clips do break very easy, now I only have three
Old 04-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #1431

Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Fixed mine and a week later it went out again, just hadn't had time to take it apart again.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #1432
Christian Pastor. Need prayer,have questions? Ask
JayDawg is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
JayDawg's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 07' Tacoma that only has 36k on it. I bought new 5 1/2 years ago. Mine just went out a few weeks ago so I did the self fix thing. The found out my brother in laws boss had the same issue and showed him how to fix his too.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #1433
cuzbo is on a distinguished road
cuzbo's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to drop a thank you post, as this fix worked for me and it was fun to test my soldering skills after a long time!!!

After removing the circuit board and display from the console housing, I also had the burned looking spot in one of the corners of the glass display section......

I did some more forum digging and saw that the burned spot appears to have no influence on the display's functionality. From what I read, if the glass is all fogged over, that means the vacuum inside the display had been breached and that is a problem.

I decided to proceed.......cleaned and soldered the 510 resistors (all four connections) and plugged it in to test, engaged the battery and pressed the button on the display and the lights lit up and I was elated!

Saved me about $300.00

Thanks for being such an awesome forum.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #1434
Follow me....I'm right behind you..
Steveoc is just really niceSteveoc is just really niceSteveoc is just really niceSteveoc is just really niceSteveoc is just really nice

Army: 82nd Airborne Division/ 107th Tac Assult Unit.HOOAH
Name: Steveo
Steveoc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Steveoc
2nd time...

The first time it went out I only soldered the broken resistor. well, the other 510 loosened up. Resoldered both 510's.....Now I can tell if its Hot in vegas....lol
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #1435
haider320 will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Detective
haider320's Tacoma Gallery
Is this problem resolved with the newer models; or are the 11,12, and 13's having this problem also?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #1436
tirekicker
vicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant future

Name: mike
vicali's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siliconmethod View Post
Did this method a few weeks ago on the InLaws truck, the 510s had been resoldered twice before. Now it's actually fixed.

Had the resistors left over from doing my own truck.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #1437
n1dp is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Retired USCG
n1dp's Tacoma Gallery
Solder Fix

Many thanks to the OP for this quick fix. The directions were easy to follow. Thankfully, those resistors are much larger than most surface mounts I have seen.

I only found one clip up there so I'll need to get another one from the parts department. Good access above the console for antenna mounting!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #1438
TheTacoTruck is on a distinguished road

Name: Scott
TheTacoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Mines been out for over a year, finally got around to this and worked up the courage (first time soldering). Like other, it didn't appear broken so I soldered anyways and its back up and running again.

Thanks for good write up and all the tips!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #1439
RichieW13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richie
RichieW13's Tacoma Gallery
My compass died a couple days ago. Add this to the list of piece of crap items on my Toyota that keep going out.

This is probably at the top of my list of worst vehicles I've owned. So disappointed.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #1440
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieW13 View Post
My compass died a couple days ago. Add this to the list of piece of crap items on my Toyota that keep going out.

This is probably at the top of my list of worst vehicles I've owned. So disappointed.

Sell it and get a jeep.