LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Overhead Compass/Temp Fix

Old 11-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #1541
lyodbraun is on a distinguished road

Army:
lyodbraun's Tacoma Gallery
Just replaced mine after fixing the original one several times i got fed up and got on off Ebay, now If i can find the place to send my old one to have fixed ? Anyone have an address for the place that fixes them?
Old 11-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #1542
Misterk40 is on a distinguished road
Army: Korea & Germany in the 60s
Misterk40's Tacoma Gallery
Compass repair

Found these guys. Didn't use them, yet. So far my "fix" has lasted three days. Looks interesting and less than buying a new one. They have new ones too. http://www.siliconmethod.com/. Let me know what you think.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #1543
Partzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedPartzguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Don
Partzguy's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterk40 View Post
Found these guys. Didn't use them, yet. So far my "fix" has lasted three days. Looks interesting and less than buying a new one. They have new ones too. http://www.siliconmethod.com/. Let me know what you think.

I used them and was very happy! Fast turn around time, and their work was excellent!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #1545
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
I can also vouch for silicon method. After my attempts failed, I sent it to the and it came back better than new. I believe they also warranty their work for 3 years iirc.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #1546
Tacomaman2008 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Tacomaman2008's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to say thank you for this fix!

This happened to my '08 Tacoma (w/ 80k miles) about 3 weeks ago. I just followed the instructions, spent 5mins with a Soldering iron ( 510 were visibly lifted off the PCB) and bam! It's working again
Old 11-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #1547
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
tired re-soldering both 510's, after a day it went out again.. rechecked and solder is still their... maybe i need to check for burn on bottom of board?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #1548
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgod06 View Post
tired re-soldering both 510's, after a day it went out again.. rechecked and solder is still their... maybe i need to check for burn on bottom of board?
It is possible one of the 510's has a crack in it. They are rather fragile.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:10 AM   #1549
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Or the pad lifted from the trace. You may want to run solder down the trace to beef it up.

Oh, and silver solder FTW
Old 11-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #1550
FinallyGotMyTaco is on a distinguished road
EMS: Firefighter / Paramedic - Was also SAR Coordinator in US Coast Guard
Name: Sean
FinallyGotMyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought a used 06 Taco and the overhead wasn't working. Found this thread and figured I'd give it a try. The solder on the 510 resistor was broken, but even after soldering both side three times, it's still not working. Any thoughts, besides the board being bad?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #1551
RichieW13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Richie
RichieW13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyGotMyTaco View Post
Just bought a used 06 Taco and the overhead wasn't working. Found this thread and figured I'd give it a try. The solder on the 510 resistor was broken, but even after soldering both side three times, it's still not working. Any thoughts, besides the board being bad?
Somebody else mentioned in this thread that most likely it is a soldering problem. Unless you are an expert solderer and are 100% confident you have a good solder, the answer is that you probably don't.

I have repaired mine three times. I thought it was good each time, but after some amount of time (ranging from hours to months), something went bad and my solder detached.

My compass/thermometer is currently not working, and it sucks.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #1552
Skrain is on a distinguished road

Navy: B.T.3 U.S.S. Meredith DD890
Skrain's Tacoma Gallery
I took my 06 to the Dealer in Tennessee and got the entire unit replaced since it wasn't working when I bought the truck.
No questions, and they replaced the unit in about an hour or so at no cost. Now I will see how long it keeps working!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #1553
Misterk40 is on a distinguished road
Army: Korea & Germany in the 60s
Misterk40's Tacoma Gallery
I'm no expert and I soldered mine. Still working a week later. Did you solder both ends of both 510s? Check out these guys. http://www.siliconmethod.com/. I haven't needed them yet, but a couple other members gave them good marks. Costs nothing but a few minutes to check their site.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #1554
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieW13 View Post
Somebody else mentioned in this thread that most likely it is a soldering problem. Unless you are an expert solderer and are 100% confident you have a good solder, the answer is that you probably don't.

I have repaired mine three times. I thought it was good each time, but after some amount of time (ranging from hours to months), something went bad and my solder detached.

My compass/thermometer is currently not working, and it sucks.
Silver Solder for the win. I've said it before, but the high temps the back of that board reaches against the roof is bad for the joints and the silver solder has a higher melting point.
Over a year on my repair on a black taco and North Carolina summer.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #1555
jediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to behold

jediwebdude's Tacoma Gallery
This is broken in the used Taco I just bought. Used that to my advantage to get the price down even more. Think I'll order one of the eBay ones as I fear my soldering ability will be inadequate.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #1556

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwebdude View Post
This is broken in the used Taco I just bought. Used that to my advantage to get the price down even more. Think I'll order one of the eBay ones as I fear my soldering ability will be inadequate.
I just put mine in the mail today to have this guy on ebay fix it for $16.95. I will report back on the results later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Tacom...-/181166907078
Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #1557
BryansTacoma08 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
BryansTacoma08's Tacoma Gallery
I have also used silicon method and they did a great job and with a fast turnaround. Would def go back if I had a problem
Old 12-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #1558
crusader1 is on a distinguished road

Navy: F8E "Crusader" Fighter Pilot
Name: Al
crusader1's Tacoma Gallery
Fix for Ovhd. Temp/Compass Panel

THANKS, Amigo! I just read the entire procedure to my wife, who is busily preparing dinner...she listened with rapt attention to every detail You have made my day, leaving me itching to dive into the overhead panel, tomorrow. I will post results ASAP, and lift a beer to you for the priceless (well, about $1K at least) directions
Old 12-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #1559

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieW13 View Post
I just put mine in the mail today to have this guy on ebay fix it for $16.95. I will report back on the results later.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Tacom...-/181166907078
He fixed it. And it lasted for about a week. Now it's not working again.

I hate this truck.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #1560
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
Name: Eric
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
Guess I'll be soldering tonight....

Search is my friend and the results on this site never let me down... yet another dead-on fix for the truck. I just took it out after getting back from lunch and found this thread. Popped the display out and there it is.... Bad 510 showing... Thanks for the fix everyone. This site just rocks!

Attached Thumbnails
Overhead Compass/Temp Fix-img_00000718.jpg