I just made this fix today but couldn't find any info here on it. Figured we needed one that people can reference before resorting to the dealership or junkyard for a replacement that will probably do the same thing.
Credit goes to McMixMaster on TN for the pics. I forgot to take them when I did this fix.
Problem: Overhead Compass/Temp Doesn't Work
Tools Needed: Philips, torx bits, soldering iron, solder
Steps to Fix:
1. Open sunglass holder
2. Remove screw holding console to ceiling
3. Grip and pull down on the front (windshield-end) of the console. It will take a bit of pressure for the clips to release.
4. Unplug electrical harnesses
5. Ensure the you still have 2 metal clips attached. If not, the missing one will be laying in/next to the clip-hole.
6. Remove the 3 Torx screws holding the display/board
7. Unclip the plasic cover from the board. Be careful. They break easily.
8. Locate the '510' resistors and look for disconnection. Mine was very easy to see.
9. Press down resistor and solder broken end. I chose to solder both ends of both 510s to make sure I won't be back in there.
10. Reassemble. It may be worth testing before you snap the clips back into place.
Overall its a VERY easy fix that can be done by just about anyone.
20 minutes & $.10 of solder is better than the $900 that Toyota wants.
Feel free to ask if you have any questions...