Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Overhead Compass/Temp Fix

Old 11-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Overhead Compass/Temp Fix

I just made this fix today but couldn't find any info here on it. Figured we needed one that people can reference before resorting to the dealership or junkyard for a replacement that will probably do the same thing.

Credit goes to McMixMaster on TN for the pics. I forgot to take them when I did this fix.

Problem: Overhead Compass/Temp Doesn't Work
Tools Needed: Philips, torx bits, soldering iron, solder

Steps to Fix:
1. Open sunglass holder
2. Remove screw holding console to ceiling
3. Grip and pull down on the front (windshield-end) of the console. It will take a bit of pressure for the clips to release.
4. Unplug electrical harnesses
5. Ensure the you still have 2 metal clips attached. If not, the missing one will be laying in/next to the clip-hole.

6. Remove the 3 Torx screws holding the display/board

7. Unclip the plasic cover from the board. Be careful. They break easily.
8. Locate the '510' resistors and look for disconnection. Mine was very easy to see.

9. Press down resistor and solder broken end. I chose to solder both ends of both 510s to make sure I won't be back in there.

10. Reassemble. It may be worth testing before you snap the clips back into place.

Overall its a VERY easy fix that can be done by just about anyone.
20 minutes & $.10 of solder is better than the $900 that Toyota wants.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions...
Attached Thumbnails
Overhead Compass/Temp Fix-1.jpg   Overhead Compass/Temp Fix-2.jpg   Overhead Compass/Temp Fix-3.jpg   Overhead Compass/Temp Fix-4.jpg   Overhead Compass/Temp Fix-5.jpg  

Old 11-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Excellent post!
Old 11-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Awesome, needs to be added to the mod list thread for 2nd gens...
Old 11-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Awesome, needs to be added to the mod list thread for 2nd gens...
Bob already did
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mods-more.html
Old 11-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
dbbd1 is on a distinguished road

dbbd1's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tip (for when I need it)
Old 11-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
05DoubleTaco is on a distinguished road

05DoubleTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome write-up Rich!

I have to do the same to mine. The temp reading really comes in handy when it gets around freezing temps with slick roads.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Hey oxy, mine has the burn mark on the LCD display like COPPERT's pic in the other thread but when i tear everything down and look at the board, all the resistors look fine
Old 11-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
misc's Tacoma Gallery
May be worth a shot to try soldering them anyway. What's the worst that can happen? You'll break an already broken board...

Whoever made the displays for Toyota really dropped the ball...
Old 11-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #10
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymar00n View Post
May be worth a shot to try soldering them anyway. What's the worst that can happen? You'll break an already broken board...

Whoever made the displays for Toyota really REALLY REALLY dropped the ball...
Good point. I'll give it a shot next time i feel like takin it apart again
Old 11-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #11

WORKED FOR ME!!

Sure enough, the 510 on the left wasn't connected fully. Quick solder job and it works like new.

Many thanks Rich, looks like I owe you a beer at the next meet-n-greet.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymar00n View Post
Whoever made the displays for Toyota really dropped the ball...
Funny you mention this. As I was fixing mine tonight I noticed where it reads "MADE IN MEXICO" on the panel.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
Hey oxy, mine has the burn mark on the LCD display like COPPERT's pic in the other thread but when i tear everything down and look at the board, all the resistors look fine
Yup, mine had the burn mark on the LCD as well.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #14
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05DoubleTaco View Post
WORKED FOR ME!!

Sure enough, the 510 on the left wasn't connected fully. Quick solder job and it works like new.

Many thanks Rich, looks like I owe you a beer at the next meet-n-greet.
I don't get credit for the fix. I just wrote it up and put it here

But I won't argue on a free beer
Old 11-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #15
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
great fix!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #16
Tefte is on a distinguished road
Tefte's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet!!!

OK, So I read the post and thought, "That's my exact problem!" Well, then I opened it up and didn't see anything wrong with my solder connections. I could not see any cracks or issues, but like other posters figured worst case I could try and if it didn't work I had lost nothing.

And.... IT WORKED!!! While my soldering looks like crap, the connections are now solid and if it stops working, I'll have someone who is talented at soldering redo that job for a more permanent solution.

THANKS FOR SAVING ME AROUND $1100!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:33 AM   #17
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Glad we could help
Old 11-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
This thread has been officially made a STICKY!
Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #19
mcdufws is on a distinguished road

mcdufws's Tacoma Gallery
added

can one of these be easily added to a model w/o them originally? If so and I got one from a junkyard what all would it take to install?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #20
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdufws View Post
can one of these be easily added to a model w/o them originally? If so and I got one from a junkyard what all would it take to install?
Possibly. Toyota tends to 'max-wire', which means they use the same wiring in all trucks regardless of the options.
Take the console you have down and see if you have 2 harnesses in the liner. 1 will be for the lights and the other for the temp/compass...
Good luck