1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Switch - 3 contact toggle switch to 4 wire Toyota female plug

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SirGeoff, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Oct 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    SirGeoff

SirGeoff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    West Coast - Vancouver Island, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    Can anyone help me wire my Oznium iluminated toggle switch (three prongs) to the existing wired toyota plug behind the switch blank in my 2006 Tacoma (pre-wired).
    Assuming the existing 4 wire white female plug behind the first blank on the dash is the correct one? it has four wires: black/white; grey/black; green/white and green.
    The Oznium 3 point switch wiring adresses postive, ground and light source.
    I have already managed to blow the side-light fuse trying various permutations, and decided to stop before I fry the new relay that I installed.

I attaching a photo of the four pin (female) white plug from behind the dash that I trust is the correct one?

IMG_6476.jpg

2. Oct 29, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but *generally* solid green (and sometimes green with white stripe) is the ground.

That should get you started.

3. Oct 29, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    SirGeoff

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    Thanks Ryan,
    Here is a really Mickey-Mouse diagram of the situation.
    Assuming the Green is the ground (Negative), then that would tie to the negative (-) on the switch.
    One down 2 to go!!!

New Image.jpg

Fizzy likes this.
  4. Oct 29, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    So you blew the parking light/dash light fuse?

If you have only 3 wires going to the new switch and one is ground, that makes the other two power in, and power out.

I am guessing the factory plug has power in (with the factory low beam headlights on), power out, dash lighting, and ground.

If you have a multi meter you should be able to test dash lights, power in (low beams on), and ground. The one left over should be power out.

Sounds like the new switch you have only lights up with the switch on? So you are not going to use the factory dash light wire on your new switch.

Edit: Sounds like you are installing fog lights using the factory harness?

5. Oct 29, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    SirGeoff

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    Thanks "Joes06tacoma":- Yes I am using the pre-wired factory harness - I have installed the 2 OEM compatible foglights and plugged them into the existing plugs taped above the fog lights on the bumper - too simple; I purchased a toyota equivalent Relay for the fuse box - and plugged it into the approriate fuse location; now, all that's left is to wire the 3 pronged switch into the existing factory 4 contact switch from behind the dash switch blank.

That's where the dummy in me takes over.

First of all I didn't realize that there was a dash indicator light, so I guess that would be the 4th contact (which, as you mention, my rocker switch probably won't activate. - the only "FOG LIGHTS ON" indicator being the light on the toggle switch itself?)

I do have a multimeter, but this is where I get lost.

I realize I need to have the low beams on to activate the fog lights, but how to use the meter to determine which contact does which has me baffled? If anyone could dumb-it-down and walk me through the steps a little more that would be really appreciated.

Thanks for any help...

6. Oct 29, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I found the wiring diagram and looks like the fog light relay is negative switched. That makes what I said already wrong.:eek: Second link shows the dash illumination, including the factory fog switch internal light bulb.

Looks like solid green wire is dash illumination (+). So you would actually connect that to the ground on your new switch to make it light up when you switch the negative side of the circuit on to the fog relay. Green with white stripe is negative dash illumination, you don't need that.

According to the wiring diagram in the first link, you should have a blue wire coming from the negative terminal of the fog relay's coil. That would go to your outgoing power terminal on your switch. (center terminal usually)

There should also be a white wire with a black stripe. That's chassis ground and should go to the terminal on your switch marked incoming power. (sounds wierd, but you are switching the negative side of the circuit.)

Are you sure you have the right plug? Looks like you have two hanging out of the dash in your pic.

As far as the meter. If you are trying to find a positive wire, then attach the black wire on the meter to a ground and probe with the red wire to find positive power. If you need to find a negative wire, attach the red wire to a source of power and probe for ground with the black lead. Meter should be set to DC volts. We are looking for 12volts, so set the meter range (if it has one) to 12 volts or higher.

7. Oct 29, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    On a Tacoma, ground is generally going to be a white wire with a black stripe.

8. Oct 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    I just pulled my fog switch out of my dash on my 06. The plug itself is black plastic. The wiring matches what I posted above. The green plug is for the locker switch on my truck. I also have a white plug like you have a pic of. That one isn't connected to anything on mine.

I think you have the wrong plug. Look for a black one behind the dash floating around.

9. Oct 29, 2011 at 10:45 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Thanks. I have seen black wires used as grounds before too.

10. Oct 30, 2011 at 6:41 AM
    787tester

787tester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Everett, wa
    Vehicle:
    11 double cab trd long bed
    How do the plugs and blanks release from the dash?

11. Oct 30, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    2chains

2chains Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC LB 3" Revtek lift
    3" Revtek lift, k&n 63-9025 intake, tailgate debadge, OEM Bed mat, decals gone. helo black max 6 bs 4.5 os-12,duratrac 285 70 17,smittybilt light bar, kc slimlites, pioneer pb3300 bt, window tint, weathertech digfits, raider lorider elite tonneau, at2525xl,
    2 options
    to do it from the front wrap slim knife blade with duct tape to carefully pry betw blank and dash or you can push them out from behind the dash

12. Oct 30, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    SirGeoff

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    OK, its' 10:15 p.m. I will check out my options behind the blanks in the morning when I have daylight. I seem to recall there was a black plug in the second blank slot actually plugged into the back of the 2nd blank, which made me believe there was a specific purpose for that as the "auto LSD" as per the owner's manual.
    I will also see what colour coded wire options the black plug provides.
    I guess my real wish would be for someone who has wired an after market Oznium or equivalent 3 contact toggle switch to tell me exactly what they did and with which of the multi-coloured switches that are there to choose from is the correct one??? (an earlier user said it was the white one, so I'm confused)
    I will also play with the multimetre and figure out which contacts give me readings, if only to make my life more confused...
    Serioulsy, thanks for all your help, no critiscism intended - just a challenged individual trying to make sense of things.
    Geoff

13. Oct 31, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    SirGeoff

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    I HAVE FOG LIGHTS!!!!
    Thanks so much Joe's06tacoma (and others)!!! you were right, it was the black plug that I needed, not the white one.
    So, with the help of the multimeter I figured out the positive and negative connections, and there it was fogs with low beam, with an illuminated switch indicator when on (there is no dash light indicator, but that's fine!), and everything goes off when the headlights are switched off.
    One happy guy!!!
    Time for a celebratory drink...

14. Oct 31, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    :drunk:

15. Nov 1, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    2chains

2chains Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC LB 3" Revtek lift
    3" Revtek lift, k&n 63-9025 intake, tailgate debadge, OEM Bed mat, decals gone. helo black max 6 bs 4.5 os-12,duratrac 285 70 17,smittybilt light bar, kc slimlites, pioneer pb3300 bt, window tint, weathertech digfits, raider lorider elite tonneau, at2525xl,

Products Discussed in

To Top