1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trying to purchase new, dealership screwing with me

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Surferdude, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Oct 30, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    Surferdude

Surferdude [OP] Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    ProEFX Tonneau cover, Coverking seat covers, Weathertech front floor liners, Coverking Cab Cover, Westin nerfs, in transit...
    Looks like Overstock simply uses truecar.com which I am now using. Great site, shows Invoice and what dealer actually paid after give backs from manufacturer.

2. Oct 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    Surferdude

Surferdude [OP] Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    ProEFX Tonneau cover, Coverking seat covers, Weathertech front floor liners, Coverking Cab Cover, Westin nerfs, in transit...
    So what was your invoice price?

3. Oct 30, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    lwszabo

lwszabo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Concord NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR double cab
    toyota dark satin alloy wheel Tint OEM bed mat
    I have a very close friend who is a sales manager. He said NEVER go in close to closing time,they are just like you they want to go home...if they stay it always costs you. Also never ever ever tell them what payment you can pay,shop otd price! I know a lot of the games they play and always beat them,my friend couldnt even touch the deal i got at my local Toyota deapership and he sells Nissans!!!

4. Oct 30, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    Surferdude

Surferdude [OP] Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    Interesting about staying late, I would have thought the opposite...

Well, tomorrow's the last day of the month and of course, it's Halloween. Hopefully no more tricks, just one treat please.

5. Oct 30, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    and don't forget: the interest rate is ALWAYS NEGOTIABLE. Only part of the APR is going to the bank. The other part is profit for the dealer.
    Most of the time you go sit with the finance guy after you hammered out a purchase price, and he's going to tell you what you're going to pay for the loan. Well, somewhere on the wall in his office should be a notice (depending on state law) that says that the interest rate you're being presented is negotiable.
    Even if state law doesn't require that notice, the rate is still subject to inflated profit margins.

ETA: What I'm trying to say also is go visit a local CU and ask them, based on your credit, what their best new auto rate would be. Take that to the dealer and wait until you're presented with the rate he is offering. Then start negotiating.

6. Oct 30, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    last three vehicles were had for close to the edmunds.com price. It adjusts for region and options.

I think on the VWs we were within $200 and the tacoma about $100 less than edmunds.

7. Oct 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    That depends on where you are getting the loan Toyota finance does not allow the dealer to make extra profit off of the loan Toyota offered the rate and that is what they have to show you usually there rates are better than even the credit unions, for example my credit union was at 3.29 and my rate from toyota is 3.14 not a big difference but still went with Toyota finance.

8. Oct 30, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    I paid 29500 for a 2011 TRD SPORT MGM DC, sticker was 32854.00. They gave me 22500 for my 2007 Off Road DC with 51K miles... which I though was about 2 grand higher then what I should have got. I was happy.

So for me they moved on the price, and gave me a great trade, not sure what my invoice was.

9. Oct 30, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    If you want to buy from that dealer, fine. just make sure "YOU" understand where the figures are coming from, even if you must ask more than once. possibly you misunderstood something, maby not, but I'd go over the figures again with them and go from there. you did the right thing by walking if something didn't make sense to you.

10. Oct 30, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    Surferdude

Surferdude [OP] Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    Yeah, somewhere there was definitely confusion or, dishonesty. I hope the former. I thought the "out the door" agreement was clear, apparently not.

They're a good dealership, great environment and customer service so I'll give em a chance to make it all better. Hopefully I'll be posting soon about my new Taco, but for now, it's just tacos for dinner.

11. Oct 30, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    My deal was exactly the same for the same truck without 4x4... heh :-\

12. Oct 31, 2011 at 5:22 AM
    xmadcowx

xmadcowx Old man club. Sold out to Ford.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    19 Raptor/21 Bronco. 12 OR sold. 05 xrunner sold.
    Functional
    OP, use truecar.com and haggle from there. My deal took about a week from start to finish (answering emails/phone calls here and there throughout the day). I did all negotiating over the phone/web so no time "wasted"; but like everyone has already told you...that dealership is WAY over, give someone else your money.

13. Oct 31, 2011 at 5:51 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Check their website to see if they're offering any specials. That's one thing my salesman 'forgot' to include in his first attempt with me. We went back and forth 4 times over the price, each time with me sticking to what I knew they should sell it for and what I knew my trade-in was worth. The difference between the first dealer offer and my final acceptance was about $5k. It took me walking out the door with them chasing me for them to surrender and give me the deal I wanted.

Educate yourself about both of those items - what the new truck costs and what your's is worth.

Also, ensure they don't throw in extras like additional warranty unless you want it. I personally think they're a waste of money but others will disagree.

Good luck!

On a similar note - I tried to buy a Chevy S-10 many moons ago. It was the previous year model and had hail damage. The price was right so I was ready to sign. The salesman came back and told me that since I was a first-time GMAC credit customer the dealer wasn't allowed to give me the discounts for previous year model and hail damage. They tried to charge me full retail! Walked right outta there.

14. Oct 31, 2011 at 6:31 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Do not buy the warranty from the dealer. You will overpay by a LOT. You can get genuine Toyota warranty even AFTER you drive off the lot. Some dealers will flat out lie to you and deny that.
    You can get the warranty much cheaper. There are a few links on this board about where to go.

15. Oct 31, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    99TRD

99TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC Auto V6
    Smoke headlights, improved LED tail lights...Pending: De-chrome badges and grille, new tires
    Car salesman across the board are slimy. I don't ever trust them as far as I can throw their fat asses. Walking out was perfect. If he wants the sale, he will call you back. There are a ton of Toyota dealerships in you area that need to sell a truck.

16. Oct 31, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    Surferdude

Surferdude [OP] Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    They've come down to 28,509 for the TRD, 30,595 with taxes.

However I have one question for you TRD guys. Is that bed too small? Seems kinda tiny. But then again, I'm coming from a Ram 1500 with a 6.5' bed...

I don't work in construction but do seem to haul stuff around on occasion, snow throwers, furniture, lawn mowers, surf boards, bricks etc...
    Can you even fit a 4x8' of plywood in there?

I do like the look of it a lot, very sporty.

17. Oct 31, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    That's a decision you need to make by yourself. I love my short bed. There are others who love their long bed. Know what you want before you go back to the dealer.

18. Oct 31, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    Surferdude

Surferdude [OP] Erich

Member:
    First Name:
    Erich
    Grayslake, il
    Vehicle:
    '11, DC SR5, 4x4
    Agreed. I hear ya. Have you often or ever found yourself wishing you had the longer bed?

I am thinking the need for longer would be very seldom and well, that's why they make trailers...

19. Oct 31, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I have the 6' bed but since I bought a 5x8 utility trailer I rarely use the bed. It's just so much easier to load into and out of the trailer.

20. Oct 31, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    FFRNDAN

FFRNDAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Edinburg, Oh
    Vehicle:
    09 Acess Cab 4x4 MGM
    Maybe they pulled the same crap on you they did to me. Agreed on a price for my 09 with 17k, it was $21,900 IIRC. When I went to sign the papers, the price BEFORE taxes, title, ect. had been typed in at their asking price of $23,500. I slid it back across the table and asked the finance guy what he was thinking (in a polite way). The price was fixed, and I went out the door with my truck. Dad was standing behind me smiling the whole time (first time buying my own), apparently every dealership him or mom have bought from tried that trick. Good luck!

Oh, and trailers are very nice.

Products Discussed in

To Top