Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6-Speed Manual VS. 5-Speed Automatic on the V6

Old 10-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
kiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud of
Name: Danny
kiteboarder's Tacoma Gallery

I'd like to get some feedback from both sides, 6-Speed manual and 5-Speed automatic owners for the V6 Taco. I'm a manual transmission guy and all my cars have been manual. Naturally, I want to buy a manual Tacoma.

However, according to the dealership I can't buy a 2012 (or 2011) 4-door Tacoma with manual transmission in California. The sales guy says they didn't qualify for California emissions standards.

I've heard some people love their 6-Speeds and other guys who are into manual cars still hate that tranny.

I'd appreciate all the feedback I can get.

Thanks, Danny
Old 10-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Banned
raswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 6 speed, some hate it, some don't. Some have throw out bearing issues, some don't. My 2010 has 15,000 and no issues. But I love it
Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You should be able to get a double cab SR5 or Offroad in a manual , first I've heard otherwise .
Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

Name: Angie
MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Gemme a week and I'll get back to you. My 6-speed is on it's way as we speak
Old 10-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
New Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNew Mexico Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Retired
Name: Fred
New Mexico Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Drove manuals from 1989 to 2008 when I bought an automatic v6 to pull a camper. Have no regrets have been converted.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You can't get a double cab long need with the 6 speed.

Personally I think Toyota bombed on the six speed. I have seen many complaints on this site about it too. Some haves no issues with it and others trade in for an auto to get rid of the problems. In the end get what you want.

I had a stock Ranger before but I went auto this time. I love it. I get great MPGs, it shifts when I need it to, it engine brakes when needed and I can select the great I need.

posted via
Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
MrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to beholdMrsPib is a splendid one to behold

Name: Angie
MrsPib's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You can't get a double cab long need with the 6 speed.

Personally I think Toyota bombed on the six speed. I have seen many complaints on this site about it too. Some haves no issues with it and others trade in for an auto to get rid of the problems. In the end get what you want.

posted via
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. You're ruining my 'Buyer's Glow' and I haven't even driven it yet....
Old 10-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OP , you didn't say you wanted a DCLB , is that the case ?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
kiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud of
No, I want the standard bed (short), double cab, TRD Off Road. I'm trying to get a 4x4. I think the no-manuals in California applies to both the 4x4 and the SR5, but I'll double check. I wouldn't mind buying an automatic so much if I had bought my wife's Mustang manual. That way I can have fun on the weekends. But no, I had to go and buy her that car automatic.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
It be nice to get some feedback from California Taco owners. Have any of you been able to bring a manual double cab in?

If you configure your Tacoma on the Toyota site using a California zip code, it won't give you the option. If I use an Arizona zip code, for example, it gives me the option.

I thought about asking the dealership to ship me one from Arizona, but the sales guy told me it's an emissions problem. That's why they don't sell them here.

There are however older double cab Tacos with 6-speeds manuals in Cali. So, it's either a problem with the new ones, or the fact that they brought those older trucks into the state AFTER they had been registered in another state for over a year, then paying an impact tax or something.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
BTW, I drove an Access cab 2011 6-speed manual and apart from the a heavy clutch (compared to my current car) it felt pretty good. But of course, it's a new truck and only a short drive. It's impossible to really get the feeling for it in such a short timeframe.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:11 AM   #13
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
meh i've never owned an auto untill my truck (12yrs) and the only reason i didn't get a manual was because of the TOB issue, i'm not gonna pull the trans out of my 5yr old truck to fix something like that
Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
boss1041 has a spectacular aura aboutboss1041 has a spectacular aura about
Name: chad
boss1041's Tacoma Gallery
107xxx miles and no problems on my 6side speed I personally love it. I say test drive both and see which u like better. I think its all a matter of personal preference really.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
I'm going to look up the TOB tranny issue around the forum. If you know of any specific threads, please let me know.

At this point it looks like I'm out of options though. My truck needs to be 4-door and if I can't get a manual in California, well, looks like it'll have to be automatic.

I can't get a Tundra in manual and even the nice F-150's are all automatic. Looks like nobody wants to clutch anymore

I might start another thread specific to "No Double Cab Manual in California?" to see if I can get more locals to chime in (Of course, let me see if I can find a similar thread first.)
Old 10-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #16
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Bottom line on the TOB is it squeaks...that's it. I still have yet to see ANYONE on any forum who actually had the TOB fail on them. Is the squeaking annoying? Yeah sometimes I wish it didn't. But it still works and serves its purpose. I'm at 100k miles now with a squeaky TOB it still does its job.

If anyone has any examples of where the TOB failed (caused their truck to be inoperable). Please post them.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
Hittn' easy steet on mud tires
Jez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jez's Tacoma Gallery
I have had both. My 06 is automatic and I have 123,000 miles and no issues! I do pull a trailer occasionally. There are a few quirks to them though like hard up and down shifting when it is cold out.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
bendawg62 is on a distinguished road
bendawg62's Tacoma Gallery
The auto trans have a vibration at 1100 rpm and 1800 rpm when the converter locks up. It shows itself as a buzzing in the steering wheel and gas pedal. There is presently no fix for it from Toyota. Mine was fine until it hit 24000 kms (15000 miles). Some do it from new. Test drive it and check to see if it buzzes on light acceleration in overdrive at 1800 rpm. The 6 speed manual trans don't do it at all. It can be annoying especially if you have a light load in the bed. Some people don't notice it or care, but you may.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
For me it was either 5 speed 2.7 or Auto 4.0. I always love the feel of my 5 speed 2.7 and the control you have, but I just never liked the feel of the 6 speed 4.0. To each their own, but the Auto was so awesome to drive. If the price was better I would have got one
Old 10-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #20
KingPup2009 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ed
KingPup2009's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 05 Dbc with the 6 - speed tranny and absolutely love it. Like many others, i had the tob issue so i replaced it with the URD kit over the weekend and it has made a world of difference. Older folks always told me that if you are going to tow anything that the manual tranny is the way to go.... You may want to factor that into your decision.