Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma Racing Seats Photos - Recaro, Corbeau, Sparco

Old 10-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
kiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud of
Name: Danny
kiteboarder's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Racing Seats Photos - Recaro, Corbeau, Sparco

Has anybody replaced the stock seats with racing seats such as Recaro, Corbeau, Sparco or other?

If so, what's your experience with them AND... Post photos here.

These are not mine (They are Dutch's I think), but searching around the forum I found them. They gave me the idea to consider them, instead of Katzkins. We'll see, after some research and budget-making.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Throwing this out there before things really get rolling -- if you install a 4- or 5-point harness in your truck, you *must* install at least a roll cage main hoop.

The stock belts allow you to lean sideways in the event of a rollover. With a harness you're locked upright and are screwed if your truck rolls and you have no cage.

That said...proceed.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
kiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud ofkiteboarder has much to be proud of
Makes sense, mjp2 - But if I go the racing seats route, they'll be more "mellow" racing seats. You can obviously get hardcore 4 point or 5 point seats like the ones above, but the racing seats companies also sell less "racy" models that have the looks and performance, and are compatible with various styles of seatbelts.

My thinking is that if Katzkins are going to cost me a little over a grand, getting leather racing seats, while a bit more money, might be a better option.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Here's a good example... $1,150 for a pair of these in all-leather:

http://www.corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/gts_ii/
Old 10-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
DPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDPR921 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dylan
DPR921's Tacoma Gallery
Also a roll cage is a smart idea to properly mount the seat belts, its better to mount them at a 0 degree angle rather than a 45 degree..
Old 10-31-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteboarder View Post
Makes sense, mjp2 - But if I go the racing seats route, they'll be more "mellow" racing seats. You can obviously get hardcore 4 point or 5 point seats like the ones above, but the racing seats companies also sell less "racy" models that have the looks and performance, and are compatible with various styles of seatbelts.

My thinking is that if Katzkins are going to cost me a little over a grand, getting leather racing seats, while a bit more money, might be a better option.
You can go full bore racing seats (I had Corbeau CR1s in an F150 years ago) without a cage as long as you stick with the factory seatbelts. Obviously some will fit better than others, but most any of the reclining seats will work nicely with the stock belts.

Simply by their design most fixed-back seats will tend to keep the belt off of you, which isn't ideal or even all that safe, but then a fixed-back seat would generally only go in a purpose-built vehicle anyway so it's not much of a concern.

Just making sure folks stay safe out there.

My personal preference is for the CR1 seats. Fantastic support, great looks, and very, very comfortable on even the longest drives. I swapped them in when I commuted 150 miles a day and had severe back pain from the stock seats. They took care of that in no time!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
@mjp2 - Thanks! That's a lot of really good info right there.

You seem to know what you are talking about, so I'm going to ask you this...

1. When wearing a 5-point belt system for example, is a steering wheel airbag redundant? Or is it still good to have?

2. When replacing the stock seats with racing seats yet keeping stock seatbelts, losing the seat airbags might not be a good idea. Right? Not having seat airbags means a 4 or 5 point harness is better (which then means you should have a roll bar too).
Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
like mjp2 said dont do a 4 or 5pt harness unless you have a cage.

it is more dangerous to have a 4pt or 5pt in a non caged truck than to have a normal seatbelt
Old 10-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
subd
Old 10-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Airbags and five points are counter productive. You're not going anywhere when properly belted into a five point and the air bag is basically just going to give you a solid punch to the face.

If you keep the stock seat belts to use on pavement, you might want to consider keeping the airbag and just dealing with the punch to the face if you end up deploying it offroad while wearing a harness.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
I just noticed Corbeau offers a 2-inch double release harness that's said to be compatible with stock mounting points (of course, no roll cage, but also not the same support as a 5 point system:

This on is 3-point, so I guess it's a lot like a stock strap belt that comes through at an angle...

http://www.corbeau.com/products/harn...harness_belts/

And they also have a 4-point one:

Old 10-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just noticed Corbeau offers a 2-inch double release harness that's said to be compatible with stock mounting points (of course, no roll cage, but also not the same support as a 5 point system:

This on is 3-point, so I guess it's a lot like a stock strap belt that comes through at an angle...

And they also have a 4-point one:

that "3 point" one is still technically a 4 point
Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #14

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
@mjp2 - Thanks! That's a lot of really good info right there.

You seem to know what you are talking about, so I'm going to ask you this...

1. When wearing a 5-point belt system for example, is a steering wheel airbag redundant? Or is it still good to have?
Definitely redundant, but amusing if it does happen to go off. When I blew mine last year it never touched me. I just turned to my co-driver and said "So that's what that's like. I've never had an airbag go off before." while laughing.

Quote:
2. When replacing the stock seats with racing seats yet keeping stock seatbelts, losing the seat airbags might not be a good idea. Right? Not having seat airbags means a 4 or 5 point harness is better (which then means you should have a roll bar too).
Losing the side impact airbag will mean you're in the same boat as most vehicles on the road. Not a big deal to me but it's your call. Note that the airbag light on the dash will most likely remain lit.

And as stated above, that 3-point harness is essentially a 4-point. Anything that keeps you pinned upright is a no-no unless you're caged.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:39 AM   #15
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
mjp2, has pointed out most the issues. It kills me to see street cars with 4/5 point seat belts and race seats.

Also remember fixed back seats are just as bad as harness if you don't have a cage.

Coming from the faster street car world there is also a lot of discussion of a roll cage in a street car/truck. A simple fender bender can result in a huge issue should your head contact a cage with out a helmet on.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #16
Oh, I've had an airbag go off and break my thumb! And bruise my face. :s

This is a great discussion. As far as what to do with my soon-coming truck I think I'm going to stick with the stock seats and re-upholster them with Katzkin. I did a bunch of research yesterday and compared the pros and cons.

While I liked seats like the Corbeau CR1's, I ran the numbers and after buying the seats, seat brackets and re-upholstering the back seats to somewhat match, I'm looking at easily twice the price of a high-end Katzkin setup. Apart from the fact that I can't benefit from a harness (no cage) and I'll lose the side airbags.

So maybe the CR1's might be more comfortable and supportive than the stock seats, and they might look cooler, but that's about it. Not worth twice the price to me at this stage.

For my purposes, I think the stock seats leather upholstery will do the trick.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #17
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Go with Katzkins man, Racing seats are cool but leather is class.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #18
ColdSteelTiger has a spectacular aura aboutColdSteelTiger has a spectacular aura about
ColdSteelTiger's Tacoma Gallery
Seats are sweet but my stock seats have airbags
Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #19
By the way... For all those interested, Recaro sells seats with side airbags. Of course, they cost 3 times as much as the Corbeaus.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #20
ColdSteelTiger has a spectacular aura aboutColdSteelTiger has a spectacular aura about
ColdSteelTiger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
By the way... For all those interested, Recaro sells seats with side airbags. Of course, they cost 3 times as much as the Corbeaus.
how much is that and can u please provide link