Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any fellow survivalists utilize their truck?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #2001
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Another good option.

If you want to carry a gun while exercising, there are several lightweight revolver and semi-autos to choose from, along with shirts made for concealed carry while running/biking, or a good fanny pack bag, like Blackhawk's. A fanny pack can be worn across the shoulder, bandolier style, too. A Maxpedition Versipack may also fit the bill.

If dogs were my concern while riding a bike, and I had to choose one item for defense, I'd still take spray over a gun, knife, or stick. Ideally, take more than one, but recognize that each has their strengths and weaknesses. A Kahr PM9, a can of spray, and a small folder don't weigh much, or take up much space.

Agreed.

P.s. meant to say spare mag... Not spare bag
Old 05-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #2002
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Agreed.

P.s. meant to say spare mag... Not spare bag
Oh.

I thought the spare bag was for the dog.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #2003
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lol
Old 05-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #2004
mattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to behold
Army: Medic
Name: Matt
mattN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmodel65 View Post
Brunswick
Gotcha. I'm in Hinesville, I may have to keep an eye on mine.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:06 AM   #2005
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I grew up making candles, soap, and canning with Mom. When the machines rise, I'm ready to go 1800s, too.

Buy a hand cranked transfer pump so you can harvest the fuel tanks of the less fortunate and commercial storage tanks.

If EMP is your game, keep the panels stored in a Faraday cage, along with your truck. Since you probably live in an old missile complex, so that's not a concern anyway.
I'm good to go. I have the launch codes.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #2006
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LaRue Shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Any of you guys ever just hop in your truck with your bug-out bag only and put your kit to the test for a few days in the forest or desert?
I've done this in the desert a few times and have managed to narrow down my pack to what's on the list I posted.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #2007
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattN View Post
Gotcha. I'm in Hinesville, I may have to keep an eye on mine.
i have found out who took my tank too..just need to catch up with him
Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #2008
Bad Spuller

Quote:
Old 05-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #2009
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue Shooter View Post
Any of you guys ever just hop in your truck with your bug-out bag only and put your kit to the test for a few days in the forest or desert?
I've done this in the desert a few times and have managed to narrow down my pack to what's on the list I posted.
Yes.
It's called backpacking.

As I mentioned when I first posted in this thread, some of the gear lists posted are unrealistic WRT portability on foot. I don't care how much of a badass someone may be, humping an 80 lb pack severely limits their mobility. Anyone that's interested in creating a functional pack and gear system should spend time studying backpacking and mountaineering. When you spend a week living out of what's on your back, and you need to cover a lot of ground, you quickly realize what's important.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #2010
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Good luck with the recovery.

A tank skid plate may help prevent that in the future. I'd do that before welding it in place. Another option would be to clean up the mounting hardware and use red thread locker. It has about the same effect as welding, but is a lot safer.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #2011
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Yes.
It's called backpacking.

As I mentioned when I first posted in this thread, some of the gear lists posted are unrealistic WRT portability on foot. I don't care how much of a badass someone may be, humping an 80 lb pack severely limits their mobility. Anyone that's interested in creating a functional pack and gear system should spend time studying backpacking and mountaineering. When you spend a week living out of what's on your back, and you need to cover a lot of ground, you quickly realize what's important.
Backpacking is one thing. I do that as well. But I don't carry a rifle and ammo when I do that(and I don't hunt), so my bug-out and backpacking kits, while similar, aren't 100% interchangeable given some of the extra equipment involved.
I have set up targets at a shooting spot, drove out, then hiked in, camped, ranged my targets, took some shots, packed up and hiked out.

It's alot of fun and adds a whole new dimension to hiking/backpacking

A lot*
Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #2012
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Backpacking is one thing. I do that as well. But I don't carry a rifle and ammo when I do that(and I don't hunt), so my bug-out and backpacking kits, while similar, aren't 100% interchangeable given some of the extra equipment involved.
I have set up targets at a shooting spot, drove out, then hiked in, camped, ranged my targets, took some shots, packed up and hiked out.

It's alot of fun and adds a whole new dimension to hiking/backpacking

A lot*
No doubt.
That's called soldiering.
Done that, too.

I haven't bothered shopping for a lightweight, folding stock rifle, but one of those might be ideal for that kind of thing. A minimalist SBR AR-15, stripped down to a super light package, would also fit the bill. I pity anyone shopping for any firearm products right now, though.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #2013
Quote:
No doubt.
That's called soldiering.
Done that, too.

I haven't bothered shopping for a lightweight, folding stock rifle, but one of those might be ideal for that kind of thing. A minimalist SBR AR-15, stripped down to a super light package, would also fit the bill. I pity anyone shopping for any firearm products right now, though.
Regrettably, I can't claim the title of soldier, so I just call it hiking in and shooting But I've taken enough precision rifle classes and had enough trigger time to be OK at it.

I've packed my .300 WM in a couple of times, but that's a lot of gun for the distances I've been able to set up at. So, more often than not I'll just tote an 18" SPR since that's good for 700-800 yards. On the heavy side for an AR, but still pales in comparison to the heavy profile of the bolt gun.
This is what I typically carry when I do that.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #2014
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Regrettably, I can't claim the title of soldier, so I just call it hiking in and shooting But I've taken enough precision rifle classes and had enough trigger time to be OK at it.

I've packed my .300 WM in a couple of times, but that's a lot of gun for the distances I've been able to set up at. So, more often than not I'll just tote an 18" SPR since that's good for 700-800 yards. On the heavy side for an AR, but still pales in comparison to the heavy profile of the bolt gun.
This is what I typically carry when I do that.
Looks heavy.
You can probably sell it today for twice what you put into it.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:49 PM   #2015
Quote:
Looks heavy.
You can probably sell it today for twice what you put into it.
Not gonna happen! It's more or less a one-of-a-kind build. And a consistent 3/4" grouper. I think I'd unload the .300WM before this one.

It's a pig. But a very accurate pig.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #2016
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not gonna happen! It's more or less a one-of-a-kind build. And a consistent 3/4" grouper. I think I'd unload the .300WM before this one.

It's a pig. But a very accurate pig.
All AR's are pretty much one-of-a-kinders.. lol

Nice rifle, I have a trusty scoped 30-06 I call Ma-Bell (Reach out and touch someone) along with too many other toys in the gun safe, but I honestly think my most useful rifle is my newest: 10-22 takedown. That's got to be the coolest small caliber rifle ever made. Shoots like a dream, made to last an eternity with black polymer/stainless steel everything, weighs nothing and packs down so small it's almost a pistol while still taking all the 1022 accessories/mags. Even comes with a shooting/BOB type bag that is just awesome..

Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #2017
Backdoor Commentator

I'd like one of those. What make?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #2018
True that. But this is a different one-of -a-kind

I love the 10/22 takedown. And they say everyone should own a 10/22, but for some reason one has yet to find its way into my safe. I have a TacSol .22 upper and a CMMG conversion bolt, so those will have to do it for now. I want my next .22 to be a Savage MKII BRJ, but I don't think I'm going to bother until I start seeing ammo on the shelves again.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #2019
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I'd like one of those. What make?
The AR-15 or the Ruger 10/22 takedown? Best under or behind the backseat truck gun ever.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #2020
Rabid Conservative

Quote:
True that. But this is a different one-of -a-kind

I love the 10/22 takedown. And they say everyone should own a 10/22, but for some reason one has yet to find its way into my safe. I have a TacSol .22 upper and a CMMG conversion bolt, so those will have to do it for now. I want my next .22 to be a Savage MKII BRJ, but I don't think I'm going to bother until I start seeing ammo on the shelves again.
I see you are also in SoCal. The takedown can be had for roughly ~$300-330 at Turners where I picked mine up a few months ago, and at the last crossroads of the west gunshow here in Costa Mesa I was able to pick up a LOT of .22 ammo, but had to spend about an hour total in various lines. Got everything from a few thousand bulk rounds up to a case of 900 CCI stingers for WAY too much ($0.30 each!), but a great round I can't find anywhere else right now.

It's certainly not my first choice for hunting or self defense, but a hole in the head stops a lot of creatures and 1600+ fps certain will put a hole through a lot of skulls.

Products Discussed in this Thread