Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any fellow survivalists utilize their truck?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #2021
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LaRue Shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
I see you are also in SoCal. The takedown can be had for roughly ~$300-330 at Turners where I picked mine up a few months ago, and at the last crossroads of the west gunshow here in Costa Mesa I was able to pick up a LOT of .22 ammo, but had to spend about an hour total in various lines. Got everything from a few thousand bulk rounds up to a case of 900 CCI stingers for WAY too much ($0.30 each!), but a great round I can't find anywhere else right now.

It's certainly not my first choice for hunting or self defense, but a hole in the head stops a lot of creatures and 1600+ fps certain will put a hole through a lot of skulls.
Oh, believe me, I can attest to the lethality of the .22LR. Took one clean through my right leg last year. I actually thought someone had hit me in the back of the leg with a baseball bat. That's how hard it hit. Had no idea I'd been shot until my friend lifted up my pant leg and the blood started squirting out both sides Haha.

I still cringe when I think of how easily it could have hit me in the torso or head.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #2022
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue Shooter View Post
Oh, believe me, I can attest to the lethality of the .22LR. Took one clean through my right leg last year. I actually thought someone had hit me in the back of the leg with a baseball bat. That's how hard it hit. Had no idea I'd been shot until my friend lifted up my pant leg and the blood started squirting out both sides Haha.

I still cringe when I think of how easily it could have hit me in the torso or head.
Yikes man.. that is awful. It's also probably why it's not respected because of the lack of "stopping power" because you didn't realize you had been shot and were still able to function at some level. The .22 is widely regarded as a joke of a round, but statistically it still kills more people every year than any other round. (possibly due to high instance of usage) But then again, the Israeli special forces use the .22 for assassination's so used properly like a headshot, it's clearly effective.

Like anything else, if someone dismisses a round, ask them if they are willing to be shot by it. The answer will always be "god no!"
Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #2023
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
Yikes man.. that is awful. It's also probably why it's not respected because of the lack of "stopping power" because you didn't realize you had been shot and were still able to function at some level. The .22 is widely regarded as a joke of a round, but statistically it still kills more people every year than any other round. (possibly due to high instance of usage) But then again, the Israeli special forces use the .22 for assassination's so used properly like a headshot, it's clearly effective.
In all fairness to the .22LR, I didn't know what it felt like to be shot And while I didn't go down or anything(high tolerance for pain), my leg was completely useless. If my tailgate wasn't down and within hobbling distance, I would have just called it a day and sat on the ground instead.

Basically, after the initial *thwack!* of the bullet hitting and going through, the muscle immediately began to contract and felt like it was being clamped on by a pitbull.
A very odd series of sensations, to say the least, but not at all what I would have expected a gunshot to feel like.

This happened at an outdoor range, by the way. Someone ND'd about 30' away from me when they fell over with their finger on the trigger

Wtf, right?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #2024
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In all fairness to the .22LR, I didn't know what it felt like to be shot And while I didn't go down or anything(high tolerance for pain), my leg was completely useless. If my tailgate wasn't down and within hobbling distance, I would have just called it a day and sat on the ground instead.

Basically, after the initial *thwack!* of the bullet hitting and going through, the muscle immediately began to contract and felt like it was being clamped on by a pitbull.
A very odd series of sensations, to say the least, but not at all what I would have expected a gunshot to feel like.

This happened at an outdoor range, by the way. Someone ND'd about 30' away from me when they fell over with their finger on the trigger

Wtf, right?
Took a 22 to the inner thai. But, yes, 22 is a great round especially in a survival situation. I have in the past taken down large game with proper shot placement.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #2025
mattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to behold
Army: Medic
Name: Matt
mattN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Regrettably, I can't claim the title of soldier, so I just call it hiking in and shooting But I've taken enough precision rifle classes and had enough trigger time to be OK at it.

I've packed my .300 WM in a couple of times, but that's a lot of gun for the distances I've been able to set up at. So, more often than not I'll just tote an 18" SPR since that's good for 700-800 yards. On the heavy side for an AR, but still pales in comparison to the heavy profile of the bolt gun.
This is what I typically carry when I do that.
X2. This is my pig.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattN View Post
X2. This is my pig.

Nice! We think alike with rifles and other gear. Hey... do you drive a Tacoma, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
Took a 22 to the inner thai. But, yes, 22 is a great round especially in a survival situation. I have in the past taken down large game with proper shot placement.
Hurts, right? Haha.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #2027
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
My favorite is this Ruger bullpup.

...at 28 inches long and 5.5 lbs. it's an easy carry.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #2028
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
No I am not a crazy end of the world fanatic but....

you have a ron paul logo at the bottom of your post... so regardless of what else you believe you ARE at the crazy end in my book!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #2029
Wishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wishbone1965's Tacoma Gallery
subed
Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #2030
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
you have a ron paul logo at the bottom of your post... so regardless of what else you believe you ARE at the crazy end in my book!
Good point. Sadly this is how the majority think w/o actually getting to know what the man believes and supports in. Amazing how many people when answering tests about what they felt was important and how they stood on the issues ended up being a Ron Paul supporter. But I guess he's just a crazy loon if you get your 'info' from the MSM.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #2031
mattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to beholdmattN is a splendid one to behold
mattN's Tacoma Gallery
I liked Paul up until he made that comment about Chris Kyle.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #2032
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
this is a good thread.. dont go political here... please.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #2033
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you looking to stock up on quality buckshot, BulkAmmo.com just got in some of the coveted 2.75" Federal LE #00 Buckshot w/FliteControl wad. This stuff gets incredible reviews nearly everywhere.

Only 55 in stock and going fast.

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-12ga-am...altacle13300-5

Fink
Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #2034
mattN's Tacoma Gallery
No prob. How are you guys storing fuel cans? I like the rotopax, but I don't like the price.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #2035
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I liked Paul up until he made that comment about Chris Kyle.
not gonna lie would you take someone with severe PTSD shooting?? Chris Kyle is a great american patriot but doctor/psychiatrist he is not..
Old 05-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #2037
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
For those of you looking to stock up on quality buckshot, BulkAmmo.com just got in some of the coveted 2.75" Federal LE #00 Buckshot w/FliteControl wad. This stuff gets incredible reviews nearly everywhere.

Only 55 in stock and going fast.

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-12ga-am...altacle13300-5

Fink
This was the clear winner in group size during my test through a Mossberg 18" cylinder choke barrel. I've posted links to my blog post about it before. If I wasn't stocked up already with this stuff, I'd pick up another 100 rounds.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #2038
Yukon Cornelius
Rmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRmodel65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rmodel65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No prob. How are you guys storing fuel cans? I like the rotopax, but I don't like the price.

i dont have any fuel stored..but i see you are in SE GA like myself so you have access to real gas probably(we do here in brunswick) its ethanol free and keeps way longer. id like to have a rotopax or a pony keg for my bike so i could do long distance trips longer between fuel stops.. if you search you can find surplus fuel cans and even brand new repop nato cans(but you gotta read the reviews some arent worth buying)
Old 05-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #2039
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
This was the clear winner in group size during my test through a Mossberg 18" cylinder choke barrel. I've posted links to my blog post about it before. If I wasn't stocked up already with this stuff, I'd pick up another 100 rounds.
Great info! Sorry if this is repetitive, but what other shells did you test it against?

I've got a huge stock of Hornady Critical Defense w/VersaTite (told it's the same as FliteControl). Also have some of the cheap, junky Winchester "Military" buckshot for SHTF/fun.

Fink
Old 05-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #2040
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm.. hadnt thought of fuel storage beyond my 5 gal can for my lawn mower..
we lost power for a week in 06.. and i was low on gas.. I should have learned then..
im going to look into that.

Products Discussed in this Thread