Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any fellow survivalists utilize their truck?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #2061
0311 luver
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Beavis, did you ever get ahold of yourself? Not quite Ayn Rand, but ...
Old 09-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #2062
0311 luver
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The Unquoted is a great EOTWAWKI read.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #2063
0311 luver

Just trying to get this back on track.

Now that you've found yourself, what's your top tip for the budding survivalist?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #2064
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
I have a question.

How many 20L NATO Jerry cans Should I carry? I was thinking 4? or 5? with 2 spouts? - Thats roughly 20gal and with a full tank, that gives me ~600 - 800 miles range. - All things considered.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #2065
0311 luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
hmm.. lets see.. given that I and you live in earthquake territory I would add a 1 month food bucket and a water filter from MSR to your truck.

I recently picked up 2 rubbermade action packers for my bed and loaded them into 2 diff categories... 1 essential gear, and the 2nd non essential gear.. easy to get all of my gear out of the truck in stages depending on hauling needs.
I've used an MSR HyperFlow filter for a few years. It works well, but I recommend adding a pre-filter to minimize back flushing. I'd also recommend keeping a good supply of Aquamira tablets on hand. Skip the nasty iodine treatments. I also have a SteriPEN for use on clearwater trips. It works well, but I still keep those tabs in my pack.

I use a pair of 24 gallon ActionPackers for food storage when car camping. One holds the grill-stove and all the rest of the food prep stuff, and the other is just food. I usually have room for more durable food in the stove box. I may add a platform to better organize the bed. If I take my camper, I don't stack things in the bed, but without the trailer, the Softopper gets stuffed. At the least, I could keep recovery gear under the platform for easy access when loaded.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #2066
0311 luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
I have a question.

How many 20L NATO Jerry cans Should I carry? I was thinking 4? or 5? with 2 spouts? - Thats roughly 20gal and with a full tank, that gives me ~600 - 800 miles range. - All things considered.
A full one weighs 35-40 lbs. Better keep that in mind when figuring it all out. A manual syphon pump would be useful.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #2067
CVTejas
CVTejas is on a distinguished road
Name: Charles
CVTejas's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to CVTejas
Food Storage Supplies

If you guys are looking for some great food choices, I ended up buying from Wise Foods. I have a 7 day bucket for each person in my family along with a couple one person 3 day kits.

http://wisefoodstorage.com/?code=FRE...e882d9&ref=AVL
Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #2068
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of

Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Any fellow survivalists utilize their truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I've used an MSR HyperFlow filter for a few years. It works well, but I recommend adding a pre-filter to minimize back flushing. I'd also recommend keeping a good supply of Aquamira tablets on hand. Skip the nasty iodine treatments. I also have a SteriPEN for use on clearwater trips. It works well, but I still keep those tabs in my pack.

I use a pair of 24 gallon ActionPackers for food storage when car camping. One holds the grill-stove and all the rest of the food prep stuff, and the other is just food. I usually have room for more durable food in the stove box. I may add a platform to better organize the bed. If I take my camper, I don't stack things in the bed, but without the trailer, the Softopper gets stuffed. At the least, I could keep recovery gear under the platform for easy access when loaded.
I have a similar system with action packers - essential camping gear in 1 and the other for optional/as needed items.

I use the sawyer squeeze filter. Been using it backpacking for years. Small and easy to use. Fits in a glove box. And best of all - pretty cheap.

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/prod...er-filter-plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
I have a question.

Carry 1 can and a syphon.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #2069
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 2007 View Post

Carry 1 can and a syphon.
2 cans and two siphons. two is one and one is none
Old 09-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #2070
Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
RPD STARS is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
RPD STARS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
I didnt enjoy world war z at all. Super boring to me.
I wouldnt say it was boring but it wasnt the greatest... Just finished Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Z-T...ref=pd_sim_b_1 and it was def more entertaining read. Cant wait for the next one!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #2071
mbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmbmack1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mbmack1's Tacoma Gallery
Subd. great thread.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #2072
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody seen TheUrbanPrepper's channel on YouTube? Has a fan-fucking-tastic video write-up on his BOB and EDC bags. Truly one of the better setups and walkthroughs I've ever seen.

Then of course there is SensiblePrepper and sootch00. Been watching a ton of shit on YouTube about SHTF stuff.

Fink
Old 09-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #2073
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hmm.. lets see.. given that I and you live in earthquake territory I would add a 1 month food bucket and a water filter from MSR to your truck.
Do you guys honestly worry about earthquakes quite a bit up there? I feel like it's similar to how us Floridians worry about hurricanes, except that we know when a hurricane is about to hit. True?

Only reason I ask is there is a remote chance that we will be relocating up that way soon and it's something I've wondered.

Fink
Old 09-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #2074
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's why my wife and I both have 4wd and carry full camping supplies and a months worth of food in each truck.
Interesting. Is it a pretty common fear/reason for prepping in that area?

Fink
Old 09-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #2075
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's why my wife and I both have 4wd and carry full camping supplies and a months worth of food in each truck. It's why I have guns, and lots of ammo. I'm not worried about the gov collapsing, or zombies in the undead sense... I'm worried about the people who don't prepare and then decide they need my stuff. Those are the zombies in my mind.
I completely agree with this. The assholes in the movies who kill people for their food and steal their gear would be completely legit in a real world situation if things ever got real desperate. If some stranger dirtbag had a choice between stealing your stuff and/or killing you just to save their own ass, they very well would.

I don't know if anyone has seen The Road with Vigo Mortensen, but it highlights the times when things do get desperate. I found it is on Netflix now.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #2076
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Prob not.... I was just raised to be prepared. It's just in my nature.
Just read your edited version and completely agree with you.

I was just curious if the fear of earthquakes played a large role in people's preparations in that area of the country.

Quote:
Shit... I had good friends in superstorm sandy that live in NYC.. They were terrified as groups wandered the street at night looking in apt lobby windows deciding which place they would loot/ rob. While they were armed with broomsticks because only badguys have guns in nyc.. I wont ever be that person waiting to be a victim.
I've heard similar stories. Again, completely agree with you.

Fink
Old 09-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #2077
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've lived all over the country.. Mostly the east coast for the majority of my life...possibility of earthquakes aside.., Seattle is the greatest place I've ever found to live.
Depending on how all of this stuff goes at work, we'd be looking at either Seattle or the Denver area. Really wherever we want, depending on the job market.

We'll be in Seattle next week visiting my brother that works for Microsoft, where I'll be interviewing, so we'll see how that goes...

Fink
Old 09-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #2079
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
...and sunshine.
Colorado is honestly my first choice.

There are a few jobs in Englewood that I have looked into. Any insight as to what that area is like? Any prepping concerns I should be aware of before getting too excited?

Fink
Old 09-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #2080
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
Colorado is honestly my first choice.

There are a few jobs in Englewood that I have looked into. Any insight as to what that area is like? Any prepping concerns I should be aware of before getting too excited?

Fink
Winter is cold.

Products Discussed in this Thread