1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any fellow survivalists utilize their truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jez, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Nov 9, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    So I keep seeing this thumbnail on the homepage and MUST know where to get one....

[​IMG]

The drive in here near Ptown is very much in need of this for the truck

2. Nov 9, 2011 at 1:02 PM
    ToyotaPartsMan

ToyotaPartsMan Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD Sport V6 4x4
    AutoAnything.com has them. 2 versions too if my memory serves me correctly.

3. Nov 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    But I'm totally missing how I can see the thumbnail on the homepage and NOT seeing it anywhere in the thread....

My understanding (from what I've experienced in the past) is that the thumbnail on the home page is the last photo posted in the thread - and I don't see it anywhere in the thread

4. Nov 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    Dave333

Dave333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD long bed dbl cab
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    My wife is all about it. We live a pretty normal life. In today's world, solar power is "green", added security i.e. panic rooms are cool, and extreme couponing is a fad. So by just doing those things, it looks as if we're just a normal family going with the fads. If you go and spend a few hundred dollars on some preparedness and the wife complains a little, just go to the ATM, pull out $200 and hand it to her. She'll leave you alone until your next big purchase. It's worked for me.

Kids have fun with it all. They like camping, learning about the woods, etc. Then at home we play zombie attack. I give them two Tippman 98 customs and I put on my mechanics jump suit, full face protective mask, then a zombie mask. Couple of my buddies that paint ball come over and get suited up as well. Then we start our attack from the front lawn and they have to move from room to room/window to window shooting at me. They learn about suppressive fire, intersecting fields of fire, elevated positions, tactical reloads, high speed avenues of approach, etc. At the end we AAR (after actions review) the game and I tell them what they did well and what they can improve upon. My wife shoots with my 3 year old, but my 8 year old loves it. The only complaint my wife has is all of our screens have little holes in the bottoms of the corners for where the barrels can be stuck out. We also do Nerf wars indoors. My boys and their friends learn 2 and 4 man stacks, room flow, clearing rooms, fatal funnel, pieing corners, priorities of work once a room is taken, securing a floor, etc. This is all fun and games to them but in reality it's teaching them skills that could one day save their lives or their families or hell even mine. Instead of playing COD for hours, my kids run around and play it real. Just like most of us middle aged guys (I'm 35) did when we were kids, except now they have a coach.

Preparedness is not only having the equipment, but also the skillsets to employ the equipment in an efficient manner.

About the shingles:

Solar shingles have been around but they typically suck. Up until Dow Corning got involved. Check out dowsolar.com. Basically, they are replacement roofing shingles that are solar. They carry a 20 year warranty and stand up to hail/wind/etc. just like normal roofing shingles. They've been developing them for about 4 years now, I've been tracking on them since their inception. They just released sales to Colorado and a few other select areas and should be available nationwide by next summer. Cost for something like this traditionally ranges $10k to $15k but DOW says they are competitively priced...which is always up to interpretation. Haven't seen pricing yet. Feds give a 30% rebate and states vary. If you're building a house, these would be a great addition. Along with a tin roof, you'd be good to go way past your lifetime.

5. Nov 9, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    Jez

Jez [OP] Hittn' easy steet on mud tires

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    K&N air intake, Fox 2.5 coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expo rear leaf pack, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Diff Drop, U-Bolt Flip kit, Drive Shaft shim kit, Weathertech's, Borla cat back, Ultra Gauge,Clarion Radio, 18% tinted windows all the way around, smoked tail lights and rear break light, painted front chrome grill black, stained yellow fog lights, black head light mod, Interior LED kit, LED reverse lights, black leather arm rest mod

Somehow the image posted from the link?

6. Nov 9, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    Jez

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    K&N air intake, Fox 2.5 coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expo rear leaf pack, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Diff Drop, U-Bolt Flip kit, Drive Shaft shim kit, Weathertech's, Borla cat back, Ultra Gauge,Clarion Radio, 18% tinted windows all the way around, smoked tail lights and rear break light, painted front chrome grill black, stained yellow fog lights, black head light mod, Interior LED kit, LED reverse lights, black leather arm rest mod
    Dave, it sounds like you have an awesome family brother! I like ideas!

7. Nov 9, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    Do you have a spare room?

Fink

8. Nov 9, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    tacomacrazy

tacomacrazy ExPo Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Coral Gables, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Offroad
    HIDs 10k & 3k, AFE Intake, LEDs Red Map & dome, Pioneer 4300 Walker Evan 2.5 coilover 2.0 rear with all pro expo leaf pack. SnugTop Campershell Famous Fab rear bumper/ tire carrier. Dual Battery System Upgrade 250a Alternator

GReat ideas!!

cant wait to move out of the city...

9. Nov 9, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    TacoSurf4x4

TacoSurf4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seal Beach
    Vehicle:
    4x4 board truck
    3 inch lift
    Love this post. I like to be prepared. Have similar b.o.b. and meeting place for family.

I want to ask everyone... i live in a tsunami warning zone now... i mean, I'm kinda fd regardless if one ever hits. But do any of you have advice on things I should have/ be ready for? besides sand bags hahaha

10. Nov 9, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    8ft metal boat
    trolling motor
    deep cycle marine battery
    boom roasted

11. Nov 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    Jez

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    Welcome!! Have you seen this?

http://www.neatorama.com/2011/10/03/tsunami-survival-pod/

12. Nov 10, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    TacoSurf4x4

TacoSurf4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seal Beach
    Vehicle:
    4x4 board truck
    3 inch lift
    ^^^^ that thing is badass!!! Thought It would cost more than that too.

13. Nov 12, 2011 at 5:06 AM
    Jez

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    Anyone keep one of these in their truck? My American Bulldog pup....she will be 6 months next week. She goes everywhere with me and everyone seems to be afraid of her because of her eyes. She has one brown and one blue with some black patches around them which kinda makes her look like a clown in imo.

.jpg

14. Nov 12, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Nice looking pup. My Am. Bulldog was my favorite dog I had as a kid. I have a buddy who had a beautiful bull mastiff now, completely brindle. It's an amazing looking dog but I just don't have the room for a dog like that to run. :mad:

15. Nov 12, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    futuretacoowner

futuretacoowner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    I don't bring my dog in my truck he sheds way to much. And forget about him helping in a survival situation he is scared of everything and is extremely lazy.

I lost power yesterday, my family laughed at me for getting my pack out that I keep spare water and stuff in. We were out for only 1 1/2 hours but thousands were out of power also.

16. Nov 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    Jez

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    I love this breed! We currently don't have room either but are in the process of moving onto 4 acres as we speak.

She is shedding like crazy and it is ALL OVER the truck! People look at us like we are crazy until they need something we have :D

17. Nov 13, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    My Rot used to ride with me everywhere in my old 3rd gen 4Runner. He was a big baby, but he was intimidating enough that nobody would come within four or five feet of my car until I told them it was ok. I had to vacuum it everyday after our run/walk around campus.

The girlfriend and I are going to be getting a dog here soon, we are still researching and trying to figure out what kind we want.

I really want a shelter dog, but it's tough around here as the majority seem to have some form of pitbull in them, which is not allowed in our apartment complex.

Fink

18. Nov 13, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    question: why is chewing gum in generic survival kits? adhesive? produce saliva so as to not feel thirsty/hungry? fishing bait?

i was browsing cabela's and just came across this and wondered why

19. Nov 13, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    I believe it is mainly for carbohydrates (energy) and some of them have a high concentration of electrolytes too.

Fink

20. Nov 13, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    Jez

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    Probably for the sugar content as well as some sort of "comfort" food....something to take your mind off the situation? Freshen up your breath and help clean teeth? Can be used as an adhesive?

They also make caffeine gum which can help one stay alert...:confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top