Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any fellow survivalists utilize their truck?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #1962
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LaRue Shooter's Tacoma Gallery
What are the most important tools and wrench sizes to have for the truck? I always have oil, filters and other fluids on hand, but have never really packed a full kit for the truck.

Also, bolt cutters. Always have bolt cutters in your truck. When shit goes down, I doubt the forest service is going to take the time to drive around and open those damn gates. Bolt cutters are important for emergencies, anyway, in case your fastest way out/home is through one of those gates.

And camo netting. Do yourself a favor and buy enough to cover your truck.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #1963
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue Shooter View Post
What are the most important tools and wrench sizes to have for the truck? I always have oil, filters and other fluids on hand, but have never really packed a full kit for the truck.

Also, bolt cutters. Always have bolt cutters in your truck. When shit goes down, I doubt the forest service is going to take the time to drive around and open those damn gates. Bolt cutters are important for emergencies, anyway, in case your fastest way out/home is through one of those gates.

these are good ideas. Ive thought about the camo netting for awhile.. would be good to have.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #1965
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
these are good ideas. Ive thought about the camo netting for awhile.. would be good to have.
The good stuff is expensive, but it's very useful for a lot of things. Get yourself enough of it(at least 30'x30') and enough 550 cord and you can set up a nice camp and stay hidden for a long time. It's one of the single best purchases you can make for use in a bugout scenario. Freakin ghillie suit for your truck
Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #1966
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LA??? lol
Yes.

You'd be surprised how many beautiful natural areas of LA County are sparsely populated. It's good that you're laughing because that means that most people don't know anything about them. And that's as it should be.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #1967
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue Shooter View Post

wrench sizes would be 8,10,12,14,16,18,20,and 22mm for our trucks.
Bolt cutters are a good idea, aka "keys to the city"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Yes.

You'd be surprised how many beautiful natural areas of LA County are sparsely populated. It's good that you're laughing because that means that most people don't know anything about them. And that's as it should be.
with the population of LA you dont think your little "sparsely populated" areas would be overrun? Keep fooling yourself
Old 05-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #1968
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes.

ok, good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post

with the population of LA you dont think your little "sparsely populated" areas would be overrun? Keep fooling yourself
^ this.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #1969
Quote:
Awesome. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #1970
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What's the 16mm for? That's an odd size. Just curious.

Iirc, 4.0L has a 15mm or 17mm oil pan drain bolt.

Not sure on PreRunner, but 6-lug 4x4 has 21mm lug nuts.

What size are the PreRunner front/rear spindle nuts?
Iirc, the 4x4 takes a 35mm up front; not sure about the rear.

Add a 1/2" breaker bar or a long handle ratchet for uncooperative fasteners.
For you DANGER CLOSE guys, that makes a nice weapon, too.

Add a torque wrench.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #1971
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
with the population of LA you dont think your little "sparsely populated" areas would be overrun?
Nope. There's nothing there for them. That's why they're sparsely populated.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #1972
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
One approach to survival is to already live where you want to go. Who wants to die sitting in traffic? I chose living right on the edge of civilization and open land.
I don't know why you're getting so much static.
IMO, anywhere close to LA is definitely on the edge of civilization.

In case any of you are compressor shopping, this is a pretty good deal.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #1973
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok, good luck.

^ this.
lol... That's why I have provisions at home... AND a GTFO vehicle. If it really hits the fan, there is no way the 10k or so mule deer in the mountains of SoCal are going to be alive after a week with MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of people thinking they will ride it out in the hills. Rabbits and Squirrels will all be gone a week or two after that. I am fairly well armed, but no truck is going to stop a 30-06 round from ONE guy who decides to make a hill and a fire road his turf to defend. In a pinch, I'm out! If I can't, I'll lay low.. until I can get out! Either way Cali is a graveyard if you can't get out.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
lol... That's why I have provisions at home... AND a GTFO vehicle. If it really hits the fan, there is no way the 10k or so mule deer in the mountains of SoCal are going to be alive after a week with MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of people thinking they will ride it out in the hills. Rabbits and Squirrels will all be gone a week or two after that. I am fairly well armed, but no truck is going to stop a 30-06 round from ONE guy who decides to make a hill and a fire road his turf to defend. In a pinch, I'm out! If I can't, I'll lay low.. until I can get out! Either way Cali is a graveyard if you can't get out.
Yup.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #1975
play every day

tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I don't know why you're getting so much static.
IMO, anywhere close to LA is definitely on the edge of civilization.
I like your sense of humor.
I'm happy people think what I do is stupid, because if they didn't, where I am wouldn't be on the edge of civilization.

Quote:
In case any of you are compressor shopping, this is a pretty good deal.
Thanks... but I'm more into wood stoves, kerosene lamps, and candles.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #1976
Bluenik25 is on a distinguished road
Name: Nik
Bluenik25's Tacoma Gallery
I am sitting in Torrence reading this thinking it is time to head back to TN. Lol
Old 05-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #1977

Quote:
I'm happy people think what I do is stupid, because if they didn't, where I am wouldn't be on the edge of civilization.
I try.

I briefly visited LA in '90. I see no signs it's changed for the better.
Quote:
It's hard to inflate a tire with a lamp.

You sound like a solar panel man. You're in a great area for it, and the cost and efficiency have steadily improved. Even a wood stove guy can see the benefit (at times) of a flashlight over a candle, or a few of the many other electric conveniences we have (had) before EOTWAWKI. To defeat the machines, we must understand the machines.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #1978
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh
mountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cory
mountainman94's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for a good and interesting thread.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #1979
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I don't think you are stupid. I live in SoCal for the jobs, the weather and because my wife won't friggin' leave. But make no mistake, this Georgia boy is ready for whatever the world throws at me other than a direct hit from god-knows-what. Maybe it's enough, maybe it isn't.. but I'm as ready as I can be here.

I'm also not judging you for thinking you can survive in the semi-wilderness around ultra-suburbia. Depends on what happens of course, I just think you are being naive if you don't realize there are at least 10's of thousands of others with the exact same plan that are probably better armed than you. (and.. POSSIBLY me... although I doubt it. I once visited a county sheriffs department that could give me a doubt. lol j/k.. maybe.) In those cases where everyone flees for the woods, it's better to stay put wherever you can be secure for weeks or months until everything shakes out in my opinion. The last thing I want is to be in the middle of a panic'd crowd when/if SHTF.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #1980
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
It's good to have your truck ready,imo. But staying
put is what I'd do.

Products Discussed in this Thread