1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any fellow survivalists utilize their truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jez, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Oct 31, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    Jez

Jez [OP] Hittn' easy steet on mud tires

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    K&N air intake, Fox 2.5 coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expo rear leaf pack, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Diff Drop, U-Bolt Flip kit, Drive Shaft shim kit, Weathertech's, Borla cat back, Ultra Gauge,Clarion Radio, 18% tinted windows all the way around, smoked tail lights and rear break light, painted front chrome grill black, stained yellow fog lights, black head light mod, Interior LED kit, LED reverse lights, black leather arm rest mod
    No I am not a crazy end of the world fanatic but more or less one who always likes to be prepared and find ways to ensure I have everything with me that I may need in case of an emergency/disaster situation. My thought is that we use this thread to feed off of each-others ideas of what we may need as well as ideas for modding our vehicles for the basic things we should/could carry. Although I have not necessarily modded my truck I would like to think of it as the ultimate B.O.B. (Bug Out Bag). Here is a list of items and locations of what I carry in my truck at all times....

1) I have a concealed carry permit therefore I typically have a firearm on me or somewhere in my vehicle. I have seen the console lock box mod and have been searching other ideas in which to make my own box.

2) My center console holds a leatherman, pocket knife sharpener, an o-light LED flashlight, floss, chap stick, bandana, weather depending gloves/beanie, and my bible.

3) My glove box holds a head lamp led light, fire starting materials, tp, napkins, safety glasses, sun glasses, and a state map

4) The under seat storage bin obviously holds the basic jack as well as tie downs, ratchet straps, a tarp, and miscellaneous parts for the truck such as u-joints and spark plugs.

5) The behind the seat storage bin holds ponchos, an extra jacket, a wool blanket, 5 gal zip lock bags, large zip ties, a first aid kit, plastic drop cloth, a collapsible fishing kit, insect repellant, large match sticks, a quart of oil, WD40, and several hundred feet of 550 para-cord.

6) Being in construction I have a large tool bag full of the essentials in my back seat.

7) My tool box holds a chain, jumper cables, muck boots, cloth rags, another first aid kit, an extension cord, umbrella, master locks, 3 ball towing hitch, trailer hookup adapter, mechanics gloves, nails, screws, several hundred feet of green mason twine, and some PVC and fittings for basic plumbing.

8) In my bed currently are 3 large tarps and a gas can

I would like to think I could get by for a few days in any situation but am anxious to hear your thoughts and ideas and see where this goes. As always I look for useful materials/tools as well as interesting mods such as the console vault and the mag light holder etc.

2. Oct 31, 2011 at 1:31 PM
    ATweezy

ATweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    11 Red RC 4x4
    I am right there with you. I actually bought my Tacoma for a BOV. and it will make an excellent one after I start modding it. :)

kydreamers and suckerfree like this.
  3. Oct 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    vtdog

vtdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Seems like the only things missing are a black helicopter detector and hiding place for your lithium pills

4. Oct 31, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Great list...nothing like being prepared. I got a good laugh though when you mentioned an umbrella (just seemed like it doesn't belong on a survival list.)

5. Oct 31, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
  6. Oct 31, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    kydreamers likes this.
  7. Oct 31, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    mentose457

mentose457 Well-Known Member

Member:
  8. Oct 31, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    Russell F

Russell F Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Madison Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Off Road
    Removed mudflaps, 14" shorty, weatherteck floor mats, interior floorboard blue led
    I do a good bit of camping so i keep a lot of stuff like this in my truck too.

1) in my glove box i have a gerber multi tool, two pairs of leather gloves, sunglasses, a knife sharpener, and electrical tape.

2) In my glove box i have my manual, a bible, napkins, and tp.

3) Under my seats i have the jack, bungie cords, duct tape, a few hundred feet of twine, an old blanket, and about 60 feet of wire.

4) Behind my seats i have a collapsable shovel, a tool kit, a bowie knife, two ponchos, a box of 300 matches, a large steel griddle, and a couple boxes of shotgun shells(12 and 20 gauge).

5) in my bed compartments i have a couple more bungie cords, a file, a lighter, and a small shovel.

kydreamers likes this.
  9. Oct 31, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    Jez

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
    K&N air intake, Fox 2.5 coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expo rear leaf pack, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, Diff Drop, U-Bolt Flip kit, Drive Shaft shim kit, Weathertech's, Borla cat back, Ultra Gauge,Clarion Radio, 18% tinted windows all the way around, smoked tail lights and rear break light, painted front chrome grill black, stained yellow fog lights, black head light mod, Interior LED kit, LED reverse lights, black leather arm rest mod
    Atweezy-I think the taco is the ultimate BOV! We even have power in the bed....I would like to mod the inverter for more power but will in time.

VT Dog- Let me know when you find one of those lol

Offroad Toy- The umbrella was just by happen-chance...was using it one day and the tool box was the best storage place : )

Zac 808- We're on the same page brother!

Lost Humanity- I will check those build out tonight for sure!

Mentose457- I usually always have my double wall stainless coffee mug with me but the bottles would be a great idea. Usually always have a bottle or two for spitters to be honest. For a while I was keeping a box of meal replacement bars in the truck until the summer heat put a damper on that idea. The MRE's are a good idea.

Russel- I have been on the lookout for a good collapsible shovel but seems every time I go to the sporting goods store I find other ways to spend my $$

Good stuff guys....Let's keep it going!!

kydreamers likes this.
  10. Oct 31, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i have all my camping gear together.

honestly, where i live..shit hits the fan, it is better for me to stay put in my home. the freeways would gridlock.

11. Oct 31, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    futuretacoowner

futuretacoowner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    I sort of have bits and pieces here and there, but when all combined in my truck I can survive quite a bit. I keep my hiking pack filled with water spare clothes machete matches blanket etc. When I have even the remotist chance of needing it I bring it. then my ski patrol bag has the first aid stuff plus firebuilding stuff, emergency "foil" bankets and whatnot basically enough to get me through helping someone and getting stuck in some cold weather. Then I have my toolbox, which carries the stuff for more truck plus some things like a foldable shovel matches etc. In my truck I keep a tarp 50ft of 550 paracord various straps flashlight gloves (work and cold) ice packs. and when needed spare fuel in the bed. All this stuff are in different packs and stuff so I can customize to my needs. Why have everything truck only if you need to walk/hike. And why carry stuff you don't need it only weighs you down. Btw I keep my multitool a knife and flashlight on me almost all the time.

kydreamers likes this.
  12. Oct 31, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    holy shit...im in love with this thread...no homo but these are awesome ideas...another great way to spend some more money that i don't have haha

13. Oct 31, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    futuretacoowner

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    tell me about it, now I am looking into a gun and a HAM radio

kydreamers likes this.
  14. Oct 31, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    well i just picked up a tool box and now i feel compelled to fill it to the brim with end of the world/zombie outbreak/survivalist gear lol

15. Oct 31, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    Jez

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
  16. Oct 31, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    Duct tape.

Steve Wagner likes this.
  17. Oct 31, 2011 at 3:26 PM
    Jez

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DC TRD SR5
  18. Oct 31, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    ericb

ericb I'm a very neat monster

Member:
    First Name:
    Dexter
    surface of the sun
    Vehicle:
    Truck So Good
    If SHTF it is going to be funny. Millions of survivalists taking to the hills to fight over a couple thousand game animals and sources of water. Should make the woods and mountains look like rush hour in NYC. Comedic for sure.

19. Oct 31, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    futuretacoowner

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    In any natural disaster I pretty much made myself a plan to stay home and only go out whe n needed and if added security is needed I got a place even my Taco can't bring me.

20. Oct 31, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    yeah i keep telling myself that a zombie invasion would be cool...but i just know it won't be as much fun as i think lol

MotoMoose68 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top