1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wind Noise from Window - anyone fixed it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Polymerhead, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Oct 31, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    *See page 2 for my fix!*

So my truck has 11,000 miles on it and it just developed a bit of wind noise. This isn't the winshield issue, it's an imprefect seal between the trailing edge of the driver's window and the hard rubber seal. It sounds just like a window if it was rolled down a raction of an inch, except a tenth as loud, and right at the level of my left ear.

Now I know the Taco is windy and gets blown all over the road. I don't mind the general noisiness of the truck, but imagine hearing the wind lightly rushing in your left ear all the time at highway speeds. Annoying. And I just dropped a few hundred bucks for a sound system so now I GOTTA get it fixed.

I know other threads have mentioned this issue, but has anyone FIXED it? Either themselves or at the dealer (I'm under warranty)? This is going to drive me insane in short order. If there's not a factory fix I'm going to line that edge of the door seal with a thin felt. My mustang had a soft feathery seal there, but the Taco has a harder rubber seal that obviously has warped or distorted slightly and now the wind rushes in. Lame.

A little help? Thanks.

2. Nov 1, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    kb1jop

kb1jop kb1jop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Webster, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Magnetic Gray Metallic SR5 Double Cab
    Factory Towing Package OEM Bed Mat Hard Tonneau Tacoma All-Weather Floor Mats
    Mentioned it when I had it at the dealer for service. Took a ride with the Service Tech and he said there was no fix he could do and that it was typical for these vehicles. :(

3. Nov 17, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    cooktaco

cooktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    11 Dbl. cab TRD 4x4
    Weahertecs, Bed met, Snugtop, Avid sliders, TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's @1.75,
    I have the same wind noise in the driver's door window seal. It is right at my left ear and it is driving me nuts. Will bring it up to the dealer next time I go in. Hopefully I will get a better response than kb1jop.

4. Nov 17, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    kb1jop

kb1jop kb1jop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Webster, MA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, definitely post if you find something new on this. I'd like to hear what other dealers are saying. I'm noticing it more and more these days.:popcorn:

5. Nov 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I just took my truck in for this same reason, they ordered me a new seal, still waiting for it to come in.. I did watch them align the window again to see if it was off track, and it made it worse. Of course they make it worse and won't have the par till I get back from my 12hr drive to cali.. :(

6. Nov 17, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    kb1jop

kb1jop kb1jop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Webster, MA
    Vehicle:
    To clarify. Was the seal they ordered for the window or the door? Want to be sure I'm getting my facts straight when it's time to go back. Thanks.

7. Nov 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    you know I didn't even check on that.. I don't have the paper work handy, I'll check it when I get home and let you know..

Still i'm going to say window since my issue could be replicated easy by just pushing the glass a little bit near the upper left corner of the driver side window. So I'll assume its the window one. I'll let you know for sure later today.

8. Nov 17, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Update from me:

I took the truck in and had them look at it during my 3rd toyota care visit. I pointed out how it seems to be the door seal from what I can tell. I also pointed out how my rear driver's side window seal (the outside black ring around the window) is coming off at a big adhesive point. I wanted that fixed so water doesn't pool up in there and develop rust. By the time I picked up the truck, they had a front driver's door seal and a rear window seal ordered. Parts get put on next Tuesday.

+1 for the dealer if this solves it, I'll let you know either way.

9. Nov 19, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I checked my paper work, they ordered the window seal for the fix. I'm getting it in hopefully next week so I'll let you know if it fixes it.

I did find that a little bit of wd-40 on the seal helps it stick a little and reduces the noise.

10. Nov 19, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    bradleyswine

bradleyswine Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4
    I had an Oldsmobile that had an annoying whistle from the front windshield. It took me quite a while to find the cause of the whistle. Check to see if you happen to have a layer of clear plastic over the plastic window trim around the windshield. When you drive down the highway the wind causes the clear plastic to vibrate and whistle. Remove the clear plastic if you happen to have the clear plastic coat and the whistle will be gone.

11. Nov 19, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Never heard of that trick but I don't have any clear plastic. Wish that's all it was.

12. Nov 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    wyoy

wyoy New Member

Member:
    I bought my truck in Sept. Bought it without a test drive. On my way home in a nasty wind, there was a very distinct whistle from the windshield. Went back to the dealer went for a ride with a tech. He heard the noise, they replaced the windshield problem fixed.

13. Nov 19, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    That's a seperate, yet equally annoying issue.

14. Nov 20, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    AllMountainToy

AllMountainToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 TRDOR
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
    There is a TSB for this. In the meantime, black electrical tape across the top over the seal (to cover the "trench" in the seal) works perfectly. Actually better than the TSB

15. Nov 21, 2011 at 3:55 AM
    kb1jop

kb1jop kb1jop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Webster, MA
    Vehicle:
    TSB Number?

Pics?

16. Nov 21, 2011 at 4:27 AM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Is this for the windshield, or the driver's side window? If it's the latter, we'd all like to hear more detail.

17. Nov 21, 2011 at 4:54 AM
    Texio

Texio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 4WD DBCab SB
    I think I have the same issue on the driver side window. I have been wondering whether installing wind deflectors on the windows would help that or not. Anyone tried that?

18. Nov 21, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    AllMountainToy

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
  19. Nov 21, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    kb1jop

kb1jop kb1jop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Webster, MA
    Vehicle:
    As the original poster explained "This isn't the windshield issue, it's an imperfect seal between the trailing edge of the driver's window and the hard rubber seal. It sounds just like a window if it was rolled down a fraction of an inch, except a tenth as loud, and right at the level of my left ear."

Please read posts more carefully. I'm sure that most of us subscribing to this thread which is the NON-WINDSHIELD issue, would like to know if there is a TSB or viewable fix for the NON-WINDSHIELD issue. Thank you.

:threadjacked:

20. Nov 21, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    AllMountainToy

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Wow. Noted. Sorry.

Products Discussed in

To Top