Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

how often to change shocks?

Old 10-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
how often to change shocks?

Was thinking of replacing mine, for the simple fact that I have no idea if they have ever been replaced. Bought my truck with 85k on it, and the ones that are on it, have quite a bit of rust on them.

I found a guy selling his set that has 8k miles on them from his 2011 TRD off road, mine is a 05 trd offroad.

thanks.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
may be worth doing it. generally if the truck is bouncy then you know shocks are bad. if u can pick up the new shocks for cheap then do it
Old 10-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
125k on my truck and I tow and my 05 shocks are as good as day 1. Not sure the question would be "how often" to change them because at the rate mine are lasting I may only change them once during the life of the truck.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Broken / leaking / lifting / lowering / cosmetic, most shocks today will last a very very long time, most manufactures will say they last the life of vehicles today.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Monroe claims every 50K miles. But then again, every oil brand claims oil changes every 3K miles. Overkill? Maybe. At 85K, they may still be functional, but a new set is going to feel like butter. I'd do it. Why not a set of 5100's though?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
If you're driving and you have bad shocks, you will definitely know it. When you hit bumps you will continue to bounce. Shocks stop that. If you visually inspect them and see dark, oily dust, then they are leaking. Otherwise, shocks usually last quite a while.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
Monroe claims every 50K miles. But then again, every oil brand claims oil changes every 3K miles. Overkill? Maybe. At 85K, they may still be functional, but a new set is going to feel like butter. I'd do it. Why not a set of 5100's though?
I would do 5100's, but I don't want to lift my truck. If I do, It probably wont fit in my garage anymore.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
5100's have a 0" or stock setting.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Cybertronian Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
5100's have a 0" or stock setting.
Oh. They do? I did not know that. Hmmm. May have to get a set of them instead then.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
According to Toyota, shocks and strut have a "lifetime" warranty on them. Well, that's what a sign says at my local dealership.

I've been wanting to upgrade my shocks ever since I got the truck back in 2008 but gotta pay for school first.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
Cybertronian Tacoma

Are these the ones I would want?

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html
Old 11-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
That's them. And make sure you get new bushings for the front if needed. They don't come with them.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
Cybertronian Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
That's them. And make sure you get new bushings for the front if needed. They don't come with them.
Where do I get those? Sorry, I'm a complete noob when it comes to replacing shocks.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #14

Marines:
From DSM
Old 11-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #15
Cybertronian Tacoma

If I am not lifting, I can just replace the shocks with the 5100's set to 0? What is the ride quality on these. this is my pavement pounding daily driver.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #16
Cybertronian Tacoma

Gonna bump my old thread here.

Probably pulling the trigger on some 5100's soon. Question. I can use them with my stock coil springs when they are set at 0, right? And that wont lift the front or rear?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Correct.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
According to Toyota, shocks and strut have a "lifetime" warranty on them. Well, that's what a sign says at my local dealership.

I've been wanting to upgrade my shocks ever since I got the truck back in 2008 but gotta pay for school first.
For what it's worth, I had my 30k service done on my 2010 Tacoma two weeks ago, and they spotted a leak in ds front shock and replaced it under warranty. To be honest I did not question whether it was full Truck warranty or shock warranty, or even if there is a distinction. All I wanted to see is "WARR" in the price column of that line on my invoice.

I maybe should have noticed, the shock was grimey, but it's winter here in the NE, and I don't spend much time under my truck in this weather.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Push down on the bumper hard and release. The truck should rebound only a time or two and settle. If it continues, your shocks are bad.
The estimate is 85k, depending on road conditions and driving style. Shocks are not a "vehicle lifetime" item. They work very hard to dampen road iregularities. Bad shocks cause uneven tire wear, poor handling, and poor braking.
I highly doubt the poster with 125k on his shocks has a properly functioning pair of shocks.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
Cybertronian Tacoma

Another question. If I set the billies at say 1.75, will i need to do anything else to not get vibes?