1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just got my 6spd but returning it tomorrow

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by monkeytaco, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:01 AM
    monkeytaco

monkeytaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 Mag Grey DCSB V6 4x4 AT Sport
    Are you at Al Udeid? If so, thank you for you service. I sleep better a night knowing you guys are protecting my freedom and liberty. If not, interesting place to vacation dood. :)

Yeah, I am being a big baby about this. I know.

I bought my last new vehicle in 2003 so I tend to keep them a long time and put lots of miles on em. I have just had several bad experiences over the years getting a new vehicle that had problems initially and letting the dealer fix it. The other vehicles were not Toyotas. But something similar has happened to me 3 times in the past and I continued to have trouble with the car that others were not having. I feel like this time I want it to be right from the get go.

Btw the cars I had trouble right off the lot were:
    1996 Dodge Stratus - engine computer replaced first day, continual electrical issues for life ringer computer replaced twice after initial.
    1998 Ford Mustang - transmission replaced first week, continual engine probs for life
    2003 Mazdaspeed Protege- first day had an oil leak on the turbo, first week leaking trunk (filled car with water after a rain), first 6 months got a new LSD, new flash twice, battery, alternator, and the radio stopped working.

Thrice bitten once shy? I think I was patient previously. I not mad, the dealer is definitely taking care of me. They are being awesome. But I am a little depressed. I researched this truck for over a year, I waited for a long time for the 2012s to be available, tsunami... Ordered one and waited over a month for it to come in. Now :/ you know the story.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it is really helpful to have a bunch of buddy's to turn to that will be real with me and give great advice.

2. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:09 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Just wait until your clutch pedal begins to squeak!! It will drive you crazy!

3. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Maybe its you...

I'm not at Al Udeid AB... I'm at Camp As Sayliyah... about 30 minutes away

and thanks

4. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:20 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    I'm sure Toyota will make it right by correcting the problem. The fact that it was a 6 speed however, does not factor the A/C issue.
    BTW-Auto 5speed FTW! =)

5. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:32 AM
    ICEMAN

ICEMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Middleburg, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DC Silver 4x4
    Weather tech floormats K&N CAI fabtech 6" lift procomp 17x9 6079 Nitto Terra grapplers N Fab Nerf bars Nfab Light Bar Hella 500 FF
    I dont see how him asking for some shit for free is being a douche? And guess what you pay top dollar for something they should make sure it works before hand, NOT make you waste youre time to bring it back 4 times. OP I undestand your concern I dont know if I would return it but toyota shoud make this up to you in some way other than just fixing what never should have been broken

6. Nov 2, 2011 at 6:31 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    I have them fix it and be done with it. It's just a collection of parts. Just replace the bad part and it's fine.

7. Nov 2, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    kiteboarder

kiteboarder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    Interesting thread.

I understand the OP. I bought my wife a brand new 2011 Mustang and had to get it fixed 3 times for a faulty dual-gas tank fuel pump TSB issue. The second time it happened it left her stranded in the middle of the road. :s Sucks for a brand new car.

I went the FIX IT route and after 3 tries, all is well. That was 6 months ago. If the same issue were to happen again I'd find a way to get a new one.

On a second note, I'm also a manual driver. I've had 5 manual cars. But with all the comments about how much better the auto-tranny is over the manual, I might go auto for my new 2012 Taco.

Oh, BTW, I currently have an '08 Scion XB. Manual. Yes, clutch squeaks. Feels like I'm stepping on a mouse every time I shift. Otherwise, I've enjoyed the little box for a good couple years.

8. Nov 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i understand the OP. new truck should work 100%. that is why you bought new! buying new also comes with that special warm and fuzzy feeling of security. pretty bad mojo to end up with a gimp on the very first outing. i'm sure the special feeling gets diminished.

i am also minor OCD. i'd obsess about it. document everything. if it squeaks later on, ride the dealership.

ironically, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

9. Nov 2, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    coloradotacoma

coloradotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    If it were me, and the dealer would do a full swap or return, no penalty (seems unlikely unless they classify it as a lemon) I would give it back. I would go nuts wonderig if something else is going to go wrong. It should be perfect, it was new after all.

10. Nov 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    Sarcasm not overly funny......................Let me esplain Lucy...

I bought a 2012 Mustang GT 6spd. At 4k miles took it to the dealer and both lower control arms needed replaced. Then they mention a TSB that indicates the wrong manual tranmission fluid was used. OK, I had them fix it all. Drove straight to my Toyota dealer and traded it on a Loaded Sienna for the wife. Luckily, I managed not to take a bath on it. It was more like a quick shower. No way was I going to wait and see what was going to happen at 36001 miles.
    That being said, I have WAY more faith in Toyota having fewer issues and fixing them right.:rant:

11. Nov 2, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    kiteboarder

kiteboarder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I drive stick. Only.
    To come.
    @Rupp1 - Another interesting post!

I bet you spent some time over at allfordmustangs - That's where I did all my Mustang research. (See my previous post above).

So far my wife's 2011 V6 Auto Mustang is doing well after the initial repairs. We did get a check engine light recently, at 5K miles and we took it back to get it checked. They couldn't find anything wrong with it and told us not to top-off the tank so much. (I don't think my wife ever does that, but I'm not sure).

I sometimes wish I had bought her a manual instead of an automatic. Now even more since it looks like I'm buying an automatic Tacoma and I would like a manual to have fun on the weekends. But, just like the Tacos, the complaints on the Mustang manual tranny far outweigh anything I've ever heard about the automatics.

Would you mind sharing how much your loss on the Mustang trading was? Or PM me please. I sometimes consider a trade-in or selling it to get a GT (or just in case this one craps out again) but I'm afraid of the loss amount.

12. Nov 2, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    tacocolin

tacocolin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Cloudcroft New Mexico.
    Vehicle:
    Kevin's (ATO) bad ass rig he built
    Everything Kevin from ATO did on his... and then some. LOL
    This is why you worry about dash squeaks when getting your ac worked on.

I was just walking thru our toyota service dept after reading this post, and ran into this!

2011-11-02142216_2c12b7902e50d1f709a6c65048f534b792e952de.jpg

13. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:23 PM
    monkeytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    :eek:

Is that a clutch pedal I spy?

14. Nov 2, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    plurpimpin

plurpimpin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4

I say Just get it fixed. If the tester guy that couldn't drive a manual you talked about caught the problem they would have just repaired it before you picked it up and you'd have the same truck none the wiser. Plus all the issues you speak of in previous cars are serious mechanical problems, not a simple little AC leak.

15. Nov 2, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    monkeytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Ignorance is bliss...

16. Nov 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Yet you titled your post based on the hunch that your tester couldn't drive a stick because your a/c didn't work?

Big stretch blissful...

17. Nov 2, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    Marsey13

Marsey13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roseville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06' Tacoma TRD, 3" leveling kit
    RevTec 3" Leveling kit Bully Bars HID Fog lights 7" HID O-R lights- grill
    Um..........it's a four-wheel-drive pick-up truck. Shit squeeks!!!!!! Turn up the stereo and don't worry about it.:notsure:

18. Nov 3, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    . . . . ^ ^ ^ . . . . :eek:

19. Nov 8, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    DOUBLLD

DOUBLLD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma LS Swap Twin Turbo
    Alot
    i worked at lexus and dash squeaks was a daily occurance we foamed everything in the dash an fixed it permanently. mass produce vehicles have a issue everyonce an a while get it fixed an stop crying it will be perfectly fine

20. Nov 8, 2011 at 11:37 PM
    BRYLONATOR

BRYLONATOR Building 06 Suburban K2500 with LBZ D-max and ZF6!

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Chillin in a 120!
    take a look at my build pics to see my dash removal. Believe it or not, regardless of how ugly it looks.....it really isn't that bad pulling a 2nd gen dash. No squeaks by the way!

Products Discussed in

To Top