Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Just had alignment..WTF is this???

Old 11-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #22
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
If you just had an alignment, allot of times they spray WD-40 and such to break the bolts loose. I would suspect that first. If you had a ripped CV or bad shocks a good shop would have caught it.
Yup!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #23
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
I just looked at it again with the flashlight. The boot seems OK. It is not thick at all. My guess would be shock. The reason I took it in for alignment is that I hit a fairly decent sized rock on our way up to the trails. There is absolutely no liquid of any type on the drivers side...

Also the liquid seems to be all over the shock body, especially at the lower spring seat.

I just called them and am taking it back in the AM.

TW Rocks. I appreciate all of your assistance!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #24
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
I would say blown shock before torn CV boot
Old 11-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #25
Wolfrunner is on a distinguished road

Army: Instructor, 3/414th D. Co.
Wolfrunner's Tacoma Gallery
I do alignments at work all the time. If your tie rods were stuck or they needed to adj the camber they may of sprayed something on them to help free them up. It cant be the cv axle cause that is some seriously thick grease. The shock could leak but I have never seem them blow out all over the suspension like that. Pretty sure its something they sprayed on it to loosen some bolts or something. You happen to get it aligned at a les schwab?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #26
Wolfrunner is on a distinguished road

Army: Instructor, 3/414th D. Co.
Wolfrunner's Tacoma Gallery
it does look like its allover the strut. maybe they were hoping to stop a squeeky strut bushing or something that they heard on a test drive.?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #27
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
I'd wipe it off and see if it comes back. Thats oil not CV grease. Probably penetrating fluid of something. Go snow wheeling this weekend and the snow melt will wash it off

BTW dude did your left rear ever lock up again after that last climb?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #28
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
LOOKS LIKE PB BLASTER OR FLUID FILM TO ME???? They use alot of that stuff on alignments

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
look how bad the fins are touching! its gotta be the boot
his wheel is turned
Old 11-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #29
iroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to beholdiroc409 is a splendid one to behold
iroc409's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
If you just had an alignment, allot of times they spray WD-40 and such to break the bolts loose. I would suspect that first. If you had a ripped CV or bad shocks a good shop would have caught it.
This would be my first thought.

And, a not-so-good shop would drool at the opportunity to do a CV boot.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #30
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a blown shock, not like it can't happen, my gf blew a rear shock hitting a donut at 40mph when she wasn't paying attention in pismo.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 AM   #31
Wally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shedWally is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wally's Tacoma Gallery
Just had the same thing happen to my car and it looked pretty much exactly like that. The strut was blown and the oil leaked out onto everything around it, first time I had seen one fail.

I had drops of oil on my driveway too and had been wondering where they were coming from because it was coming from the side and not the middle of the vehicle. The oil leaks out and eventually stops so you think the issue is gone but it's really just empty and the strut isn't functioning properly anymore.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #32
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
The boot would be globs of grease, not a liquid film imo. I would just clean it off and see what you can see over the next few days.
Don't assume it's going to be a costly repair, make sure you actually have a problem first. The mechanic could have just gotten spray happy with the PB Blaster. Wipe everything down and watch it for a couple days.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #33
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
PB blaster or a blown shock. Clean it up, drive it around, and see if there is new fluid spilled.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #34
If i asked my dad for money, He'd knock me out
Bfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Bfoster133's Tacoma Gallery
Blown diff/cracked axels. Seen this thing before. Your shot outta luck gonna be +5k for fix. Might as well SAS for around 2k btw I fit 33" tires on stock suspension with no rubbing
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #35
If i asked my dad for money, He'd knock me out
Bfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBfoster133 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Bfoster133's Tacoma Gallery
Couldn't resist. To many "pb blaster" comments. Had to change it up
Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #36
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
look how bad the fins are touching! its gotta be the boot
He has the wheel turned ffs.

Looks like a blown shock, but hard to tell without being there in person.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #37
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
You guys are way off!

Looks like astroglide to me...
Old 11-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #38
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
You guys are way off!

Looks like astroglide to me...
Maybe there's something the OP isn't telling us...
Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #39
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Thanks Pugga! It was a Les Schwab alignment, and they just informed me it is a blown shock. They want to replace it with some brand I have never heard of, for ~400 installed.

So he is now looking at an RCD /Fox coilover setup for me. Supposedly new and not on RCD site yet. $490 for front. He is getting me a part # or type so I can present it to all of my friends here on TW to tell me if it is any good.

I would think almost anything is better than the stock coils with the spacer.....
Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
I'd wipe it off and see if it comes back. Thats oil not CV grease. Probably penetrating fluid of something. Go snow wheeling this weekend and the snow melt will wash it off

BTW dude did your left rear ever lock up again after that last climb?
Once...I think the e-brake was sticking. Once I set and released the brake, it was all good!