1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5100's and Camber, and yes I searched

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Scubasteve4533, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Nov 2, 2011 at 6:58 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Find a competent shop to do your alignment. Your statement about anything over 1/2" of lift requiring new UCA's couldn't be more inaccurate. I'm lifted with Eibach coils so about the same lift as you with stock coils and 5100's set at 1.75 and I've got no alignment issues.

2. Nov 2, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    With my 5100's @ 2.5, the alignment tech was able to get my specs to 1.8 caster, +0.8 camber, and 0 Toe on both sides on stock UCA's. I have put over 20k miles on the truck since then and haven't noticed any pre-mature tire wear on the outside edges from the positive camber.

I actually had my alignment done at the Toyota Dealership. Haha I try to avoid the dealer at all costs however they were the same price as the shop down the road and were able to fit me in that day with no wait.

FYI bad toe will wear your tires a lot more than bad camber will. I was in the import car scene before my truck so I know all about camber wear.

3. Nov 2, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...

^this.

My first lift on my silver taco was a 3" lift and the toe and camber where as close to zero as possible but my caster was out of spec...i had factory UCA's

4. Nov 2, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
  5. Nov 2, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    New UCAs can correct the loss of castor with a lift. Toe & camber can be properly set with stock UCAs

6. Nov 2, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    I pretty much agree with you but they are the closest shop and have been around longer than anyone. While they do have higher prices I felt comfortable paying the extra $30 to know that if something did go wrong I can go back and they will fix it no questions asked. It did not make alot of sense to me either; just throwing it out there for the the OP to take it however he will.

Not to thread jack but the OP may run into this as well. IF my camber is really say .6 on both sides is it normal for the tires to look like they have a higher positive camber? I never really paid attention to it before the lift. The only thing the shop changed when they did my alignment was the toe. It was negative on one side and positive on the other so it was way off. They did not mess with the camber because it showed it wasn't out of spec.

7. Nov 2, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Sticking to the OP's original question:

Yes, they aligned you within specs. Everything's "Green" on the machine. Still, that camber number's a bit high. Camber ranges from roughly (IIRC) 0.0 to 1.0 Typically a shop will set camber at the middle of the range or around 0.5. You're at the top end of the range, and if they lowered it some, you could get some more caster back, although at 1.4/1.5 that also is within range.

Caster affects driveability - that "twitchy" feeling - but I'm happy with my Caster which is running right around the same as yours.

Drive it if you're happy with it. You're not hurting anything.

Main thing I'd be torqued about, were I in your shoes, is setting from 1.75 down to 0.85. There's really no need for that and they ought to be able to get alignment numbers at least as good as they are at 1.75. It's only as you get closer to 3" that you run out of adjustment room with the stock UCAs.

Dealer shops are typically under a great deal of time pressure to get the job done on the time card - and if something starts being difficult/taking a long time, the boss man comes around. So I'm guessing the tech was having some trouble at 1.75 - consulted with the advisor, who told him to cut his losses, set at 0.85, and get the "easy" in spec alignment numbers to get your truck out the door.

8. Nov 7, 2011 at 4:57 AM
    Scubasteve4533

Scubasteve4533 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR
    5100 @ 1.75, tsb rear springs with 5100. anytime fogs, rear diff breather, 50 cal ammo boxes on bed rails
    update!

moved the 5100s to 1.75 and got her realigned.

Front Left
    Toe: -.01
    Caster: 1.5
    Camber: .3

Front Right
    Toe: .01
    Caster: 2.1
    Camber: 0.0

Seems alot better to be. still drives the same but that wasnt an issue, i was just concerned about tire wear.

Products Discussed in

To Top