1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

slow hunting truck/off road build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pekosROB, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Nov 2, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    pekosROB

pekosROB [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4WD 6M SR5 V6
    Borla Exhaust, Alpine IVA-W200, tint
    So almost a year ago I bought a VW Golf TDi and haven't driven my truck much. I have two people that could help me out on this project as I know nothing about cars. I came here to seek advice on parts. My girlfriend's dad is a parts guy at Toyota (has been for over a decade I believe) and a friend of mine is a mechanic at the same dealership.

Changes I'd like to make:
    1. Brush/grill guard w/winch (I have no idea what to get, I just want it to be strong enough to pull the truck out of a sticky situation)
    2. external lights (either on the brush grill or a separate light rack) - I think I would prefer a separate light rack since it would provide lights at a higher elevation and can possibly use to spotlight shoot hogs.
    3. toolbox (or some other lock box) for guns

So any suggestions? I found this ShrockWorks site (http://www.shrockworks.com/Toyota) and they mention something about needing a different skid plate. This will be a slow ongoing project and I will refer back to this thread (hopefully if people reply) since it will take quite a bit of funds to get this done. It's especially hard when I'm trying to a) not buy anymore guns for awhile and b) save up money to ask my girl to marry me...

Anyway, I don't think I want to do a lift (at least for now) since I don't want ride quality to get crappier (and any lift that wouldn't reduce ride quality is probably pretty expensive).

So, what should I get and from where? My truck is a 2005 Tacoma, double cab, 6-speed manual, 4WD. Since it's a shortbed I'm not really sure if I want to do the toolbox if I did a light rack since it would get cramped in the back if I need to store anything.

Edit: oh yeah, and on that ShrockWorks website I see brush guards for winches but they don't have a place for the license plate. In Texas we are supposed to have front and back plates so I'd rather not do the front plate in the window thing.

Edit: of course after posting I see the garage section with the 2nd gen builds... duhhhhh

2. Nov 2, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    oh..tough call.

half of me says to be responsible, save your money and marry this girl. the other half says, buy the stuff now. because afterwards, you may not be able to.

honestly, couples should enter in marriage with as little debt as possible. good luck.

find a truck modded the way you like, and start there.

3. Nov 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    First off, Bumpers wise look at the thread in the 2nd gen section. Comes with pictures and all. Second if you need a spotlight, Get an actual spotlight. Check out LED light bars, little expensive but excellent light output, Youll be blinding hogs in no time! Toolbox wise id look into just getting one in the bed. Or better yet get a topper and a pop n lock tailgate kit.

4. Nov 3, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    pekosROB

pekosROB [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4WD 6M SR5 V6
    Borla Exhaust, Alpine IVA-W200, tint
    Thanks for the directional tip buddy! The locking tailgate and topper would be nice, I think there are even toolboxes that sit inside the bed and not on top near the cab and that would offer double protection! The topper would need to be retractable or easily removed though, that's the only thing I need to look into which one in getting.

Ironically enough, the whole, "might not be able to afford this later" was my main reasoning in buying most of my guns this year! :) how else could I justify two Kimber 1911 clones within months? lol

Luckily I have a great family and my house is paid off, I have a couple hundred dollars on my credit card and that's it. The only debt I really have right now is to my parents (lol) and my Golf TDi payment. But I hear what you're saying, I might need to have a jar somewhere and leave money in it for upgrading the truck slowly or something (I already do this for guns). I'm not planning on selling the truck right away (if ever), I will drive this thing til the wheels fall off and the engine drops. Honestly, I'd REALLY like to convert the Taco into a diesel like my TDi!

Products Discussed in

To Top