Notices

slow hunting truck/off road build

Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
pekosROB is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
pekosROB's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to pekosROB
slow hunting truck/off road build

So almost a year ago I bought a VW Golf TDi and haven't driven my truck much. I have two people that could help me out on this project as I know nothing about cars. I came here to seek advice on parts. My girlfriend's dad is a parts guy at Toyota (has been for over a decade I believe) and a friend of mine is a mechanic at the same dealership.

Changes I'd like to make:
1. Brush/grill guard w/winch (I have no idea what to get, I just want it to be strong enough to pull the truck out of a sticky situation)
2. external lights (either on the brush grill or a separate light rack) - I think I would prefer a separate light rack since it would provide lights at a higher elevation and can possibly use to spotlight shoot hogs.
3. toolbox (or some other lock box) for guns

So any suggestions? I found this ShrockWorks site (http://www.shrockworks.com/Toyota) and they mention something about needing a different skid plate. This will be a slow ongoing project and I will refer back to this thread (hopefully if people reply) since it will take quite a bit of funds to get this done. It's especially hard when I'm trying to a) not buy anymore guns for awhile and b) save up money to ask my girl to marry me...

Anyway, I don't think I want to do a lift (at least for now) since I don't want ride quality to get crappier (and any lift that wouldn't reduce ride quality is probably pretty expensive).

So, what should I get and from where? My truck is a 2005 Tacoma, double cab, 6-speed manual, 4WD. Since it's a shortbed I'm not really sure if I want to do the toolbox if I did a light rack since it would get cramped in the back if I need to store anything.

Edit: oh yeah, and on that ShrockWorks website I see brush guards for winches but they don't have a place for the license plate. In Texas we are supposed to have front and back plates so I'd rather not do the front plate in the window thing.

Edit: of course after posting I see the garage section with the 2nd gen builds... duhhhhh
Old 11-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
oh..tough call.

half of me says to be responsible, save your money and marry this girl. the other half says, buy the stuff now. because afterwards, you may not be able to.

honestly, couples should enter in marriage with as little debt as possible. good luck.

find a truck modded the way you like, and start there.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
First off, Bumpers wise look at the thread in the 2nd gen section. Comes with pictures and all. Second if you need a spotlight, Get an actual spotlight. Check out LED light bars, little expensive but excellent light output, Youll be blinding hogs in no time! Toolbox wise id look into just getting one in the bed. Or better yet get a topper and a pop n lock tailgate kit.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
pekosROB is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
pekosROB's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to pekosROB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyComa92 View Post
First off, Bumpers wise look at the thread in the 2nd gen section. Comes with pictures and all. Second if you need a spotlight, Get an actual spotlight. Check out LED light bars, little expensive but excellent light output, Youll be blinding hogs in no time! Toolbox wise id look into just getting one in the bed. Or better yet get a topper and a pop n lock tailgate kit.
Thanks for the directional tip buddy! The locking tailgate and topper would be nice, I think there are even toolboxes that sit inside the bed and not on top near the cab and that would offer double protection! The topper would need to be retractable or easily removed though, that's the only thing I need to look into which one in getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
oh..tough call.

half of me says to be responsible, save your money and marry this girl. the other half says, buy the stuff now. because afterwards, you may not be able to.

honestly, couples should enter in marriage with as little debt as possible. good luck.

find a truck modded the way you like, and start there.
Ironically enough, the whole, "might not be able to afford this later" was my main reasoning in buying most of my guns this year! :-) how else could I justify two Kimber 1911 clones within months? lol

Luckily I have a great family and my house is paid off, I have a couple hundred dollars on my credit card and that's it. The only debt I really have right now is to my parents (lol) and my Golf TDi payment. But I hear what you're saying, I might need to have a jar somewhere and leave money in it for upgrading the truck slowly or something (I already do this for guns). I'm not planning on selling the truck right away (if ever), I will drive this thing til the wheels fall off and the engine drops. Honestly, I'd REALLY like to convert the Taco into a diesel like my TDi!

Products Discussed in this Thread