Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plasti-Dip Durability?

Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
Paczowski123 is on a distinguished road
Name: David
Paczowski123's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti-Dip Durability?

How durable is this stuff? I was thinking of doing my wheels, but it seems if this stuff simply peels off it will just come off with any sort of car wash, or rim scrubbing? Not to mention and mud or dirt they pass through scratching it off? How many of yall have painted your rims with plasti-dip and how long does it last/hold up?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Search..

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...ga-thread.html
Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
it sucks
Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
NO
Old 11-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
If the shit is easy to peel off.. how durable do you expect it to be?

If you feel like wasting $30 and time, go ahead.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, dont do it, as a novelty it would be fine, have black rims for a few days, but then when it starts peeling and looks like shit, be ready to spend some time peeling it all off. not that durable as stated above
Old 11-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you
MedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shedMedlinAround is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
MedlinAround's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt hit rims with it especially if you go off blacktop at all. But for bumpers, grills, badges, it works like a charm. Ive had mine on for 8 months and it still looks the same.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
stangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud ofstangkeip10 has much to be proud of

stangkeip10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedlinAround View Post
I wouldnt hit rims with it especially if you go off blacktop at all. But for bumpers, grills, badges, it works like a charm. Ive had mine on for 8 months and it still looks the same.
agree, did my front valance a year ago and still looks great.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
Paczowski123 is on a distinguished road
Name: David
Paczowski123's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah thats what i figured, everyone just seemed to love it in all the other threads, but no one had a long term test with a response of how it held up on things like rims. Just grills, badges, and bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy Derek View Post
Yes, I am aware, i have already seen that, but there is not many answers specifically on rims and how long it lasted over time, nor am i going through all 118 pages to find it.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
It is illegal to drive around in Cobb County with anything plasti-dipped on your vehicle.

True story
Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
PCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant future
Name: Russ
PCDT99's Tacoma Gallery
Plasti dip is good for some stuff, just not wheels. Also, its a great primer for paint

Used it on some chrome badges, then painted over it. A year later i was tired of the color and just peeled the pasti-dip and paint right off. Badge looked new again!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
Reptoid is on a distinguished road
Reptoid's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Plasti Dip Realiability

In my opinion the reliability of plasti dip depends on how much product you use. I plasti dipped my tacoma rims last year and i used 7 coats of plasti dip on each rims. As of today all 4 rims still looks perfectly dipped and had no issues withstanding the brutal chicago winter/salt last year. I like it!!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #14
2014 tacoma has much to be proud of2014 tacoma has much to be proud of2014 tacoma has much to be proud of2014 tacoma has much to be proud of2014 tacoma has much to be proud of2014 tacoma has much to be proud of2014 tacoma has much to be proud of2014 tacoma has much to be proud of2014 tacoma has much to be proud of2014 tacoma has much to be proud of
2014 tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I did a set of wheels 5 years ago and put easily 150,000 miles on them and 3 winters of a long mountain commute with tons of magnesium chloride, and sand and they didn't chip or peel off. If I were in the market of wanting some black wheels I'd do it again, I think I did 1 can per wheel which was probably around 3-4 coats If I remember right.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid View Post
In my opinion the reliability of plasti dip depends on how much product you use. I plasti dipped my tacoma rims last year and i used 7 coats of plasti dip on each rims. As of today all 4 rims still looks perfectly dipped and had no issues withstanding the brutal chicago winter/salt last year. I like it!!
Talk about resurrecting the thread from the dead.